interesting omaha hi/lo hand, any thoughts?

> Rosel posted small blind ($0.02)> klotet_2 posted big blind ($0.05)> Game # 278,261,238 starting.> Dealing Hole Cards(A :D K :D 4 :) 2 :D )i'm dealt AK42 double-suited, quite a strong hand. since i'm UTG, i limp since you never want to raise in early position (unlike hold'em, you want people in pots with you since most often, they'll be drawing dead to you ideally. with scooping hands, you also want to build up the pot as much as you can because you'll likely only earn half of it, and if you earn the whole pot, it's as big as possible).> akishore called for $0.05> Tequiel folded> WacoHitman99 called for $0.05> dnicc folded> NoFearLion raised for $0.10> nvbob20 called for $0.10> reaperr called for $0.10> Rosel called for $0.08> klotet_2 called for $0.05someone raises, so now it's time for me three-bet it for value. no one caps unfortunately.> akishore raised for $0.10> WacoHitman99 called for $0.10> NoFearLion folded> nvbob20 called for $0.05> reaperr called for $0.05> Rosel called for $0.05> klotet_2 called for $0.05> Dealing the Flop(Q :D 4 :) 7 :) )this is a fairly nice flop for me. i have the second nut flush draw, as well as the nut low draw (uninsured now, unfortunately, since my insurance card is counterfeited) and another backdoor nut flush draw. i bet out of course. i get no raise, so i figure i'm safe enough.> Rosel checked> klotet_2 checked> akishore bet for $0.05> WacoHitman99 called for $0.05> nvbob20 folded> reaperr called for $0.05> Rosel folded> klotet_2 called for $0.05> Dealing the turn(2 :) )this isn't quite what i was hoping for. two of my three low cards have been counterfeited, but now i have one nut flush draw in addition to a second nut flush draw. i also have a decent low draw if another low card falls (it won't be the nuts, but an emergency low is better than no low). i bet out, someone raises, and another person three-bets, and i call two bets cold.> klotet_2 checked> akishore bet for $0.10> WacoHitman99 raised for $0.20> reaperr called for $0.20> klotet_2 raised for $0.30> akishore called for $0.20> WacoHitman99 called for $0.10> reaperr called for $0.10> Dealing the river(5 :club: )i was really hoping for a spade since i'm in a tricky situation now, but at least a low card landed and i have a low. i hope to get at least half the pot now, since the only scenario which would cost me the whole pot would be if someone has the A-high club flush, and someone else (or the same person) has a better low. i think i figured that since i am likely to get half the pot, and it's unlikely that i'll get quartered, i can bet out here to build up my half of the pot. i'm not sure if this was a mistake in hindsight (should i have check-called?), but i capped it using the same logic after it was raised and check-three-betted (this was a mistake, i think).> klotet_2 checked> akishore bet for $0.10> WacoHitman99 raised for $0.20> reaperr called for $0.20> klotet_2 raised for $0.30> akishore raised for $0.30> WacoHitman99 called for $0.20> reaperr called for $0.20> klotet_2 called for $0.10i'll post results later.thanks,aseem

Good to see someone post a O/8 hand, cause this has traditionally been my strongest game.I guess as a moot point, if you can afford it, move up a couple limits. .5/.10 O8 games are a waste of time and money.Anyway, a couple things.

i'm dealt AK42 double-suited, quite a strong hand. since i'm UTG, i limp since you never want to raise in early position (unlike hold'em, you want people in pots with you since most often, they'll be drawing dead to you ideally. with scooping hands, you also want to build up the pot as much as you can because you'll likely only earn half of it, and if you earn the whole pot, it's as big as possible).
This just isn't true. You make a strong argument for your OPINION, but there is no reason not to raise in EP with that hand. Especially at these limits.You always want to represent strength when you are strong in O8. Again, it is a moot point at these limits because everyone will forget you raised PF when they see a flop. But when you get in to more serious O8 games, you better not miss a bet in EP with a hand like this.Flop: Bet, three-bet, call a cap.Turn: Horrible card. I would check here even with your outs to the high. The raise and three-bet let you know your low is beat and you have to make your high to win this hand. River: Just call the raise. Guaranteed you don't win the low, no guarantee you win the high.

I agree that you rarely want to raise in EP in Omaha 8 due to the nature of others straggling behind you with little chance of winning, though as previously posted at 5c/10c it probably wouldn't deter any callers.Also, I check-call the turn and river, since it is definitely going to be bet behind you.Smasharoo wrote,

i call two bets cold.  Why?
Are you suggesting he cap it here? Surely you can't mean he should fold.

Waco and klotet seem to obviously have wheels, and its not too much of a stretch to think that one of them has the Ax :D . Still, I don't hate your betting this strongly because of the dead money reaperr is putting in the pot with his 2 pair or set (or some other random 2nd best hi or lo).Waco - A 3 6 x (nut straight, nut low, maybe flush)klitet - A 3 x x (nut low, 2nd straight, maybe flush)reaperr - 7 7 x x (maybe stumbled into a low flush, no telling really this is a complete guess, regardless I don't think he is getting any of the pot)

I still don't think limping is a good idea with this kind of hand. You do want action, but it's not worth missing the bet (especially at a micro limit) and a chance to build the pot WHILE showing strength.

I don't think a fold is out of the question either.Although I think the argument for check/call is stronger.Certainly fold rather than three-bet .Also I don't think Smash would say that checking and calling one bet is wrong here. He is saying callin that three-bet is wrong.

Let me go a little deeper here as to why I'd probably fold this one.I realize this is microlimits and people pay off with anything, and there's a ton of dead money, etc. etc., but it's still O8.You don't play O8 for a draw to half the pot.Let's look at where we are in the hand.> akishore called for $0.05> Tequiel folded> WacoHitman99 called for $0.05> dnicc folded> NoFearLion raised for $0.10> nvbob20 called for $0.10> reaperr called for $0.10> Rosel called for $0.08> klotet_2 called for $0.05someone raises, so now it's time for me three-bet it for value. no one caps unfortunately.> akishore raised for $0.10> WacoHitman99 called for $0.10> NoFearLion folded> nvbob20 called for $0.05> reaperr called for $0.05> Rosel called for $0.05> klotet_2 called for $0.05All fine.9 BB in the pot allready. Great.> Dealing the Flop(Q Suit: Club 4 Suit: Club 7 Suit: Spade )> Rosel checked> klotet_2 checked> akishore bet for $0.05> WacoHitman99 called for $0.05> nvbob20 folded> reaperr called for $0.05> Rosel folded> klotet_2 called for $0.05Still fine. 11 BB in the pot now.> Dealing the turn(2 Suit: Spade )> klotet_2 checked> akishore bet for $0.10> WacoHitman99 raised for $0.20> reaperr called for $0.20> klotet_2 raised for $0.30> akishore called for $0.20> WacoHitman99 called for $0.10> reaperr called for $0.10Here's where it get's a little dicey. We've gone from having a two way hand drawing to a scoop / 3/4 to looking at no draw to the nut low, which is likely allready completed given the action and one 7 card draw to the nut high along with another, much weaker, 7 card draw to the second nut high (again with no low).I don't like the bet, I like the calling two cold less.Let's look at where we are when we bet, though. 11 BB in the pot when we bet, we make it 12, it's 18 when it get's back to us and we have to call two cold. We're playing for half the pot with almost 100% certainty given the action here, so we're looking at 9BB we're playing for. We have to call two cold, so we're getting 4.5 to 1 to call with a 7 out draw (5.6 against to hit). There's no reason to think it's not going to get capped by a player behind us as well. Implied odds have some value, because it's likely we can get it capped on the river with two nut lows in this game, but even still we're *only DRAWING to half the pot* and we only complete a clean draw less than 1 time in 5.So I'd fold it.Not to mention it can cost a LOT more bets if we make the second nut high and end up calling 4 BB on the end for half of a pot we might not be winning.Bad.

Unless you are just killing time, playing at stakes this low will not help you improve your play, nor will it do anything (good or bad) to your bankroll. There will be too many people calling with anything when playing Omaha Hi/Lo at stakes this small. Even on the $0.25/0.50 tables, it amazes me some of the hands you see at the end where it was two and three bet each round. If you want to improve your play, and possibly your bankroll, you need to start at $0.50/$1, which should weed out the majority of the savages. I've dabbled as high as $2/4, but the fluctuations to my limited bankroll scared me, so I stick to $0.50/1 and $1/2 now (playing $2/4, I lost $130 of my $230 (which started at $100, but that is another story) never seeing a river before I was able to get back to $230 in two hands that I scooped).