Fiance Hampering My Online Play

I couldn't agree more.by no means am I playing, or looking to play professionally. I'm just a recreational player who used to play more than I currently do. There has never been an ultimatum, nor has she ever told me not to play.I'm new to this whole living w/ your signifigant other game, and I was really just seeing how other people adjusted to a similar situation. Obviously some posters are well-adjusted to it, and others are just plain INSANE.
lol yea you have really hit a nerve in FCP. But seriously pay her off, just consider it rake. OOO yea and pictures would really help :club:
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Ben are you looking to play professionally or just goofing around.Also I bought my GF some very expensive tickets to Spamalot (had to go to a scalper) and I made sure to mention that I wouldn't be able to afford this if I didn't play poker. All arguments seemed to fade.
How was it?Never mind, I'm sure it was awesome.I got to see John Cleese at an event I was doing special effects for and he was signing stuff, so I got a Monty Python and the Holy Grail DVD signed by him to me.My wife hates Monty Python, so I watch it with buddies or alone.
Sounds like you have 2 choices, a future wife or poker... you can't have both without one being mad at the other... trust me.
3rd choice, high-powered dildo
Man I am soooo lucky that my wife completely and utterly supports my love for poker. She watches me play. She watches all the poker on TV with me. She is there when I am feeling down after a tough loss and picks me right back up. Anytime I feel like giving it up she gets me out of that funk. She buys me poker books and stuff on bdays and xmas and always asks me how I did every day. She has never gotten made when I lost hundreds and has been there to celebrate when I win hundreds. We went through some financial problems when we refinanced our house and I was going to delve into my BR to help us out and she demanded that I do not, that was mine that I worked hard to get to where it was at and she wouldn't feel right using it for anything but poker. Gotta lover her!
Want to trade?

GFs / Fiancees / Wives are -EVBooty Calls are +EVI understand the OP's fiancee is not demanding he quit poker, but if he can't bring himself to do what he wants when she's around ... it's the beginning of the end.GROW SOME BALLS, PLAY POKER IF YOU WANT .... IF SHE BITCHES, DUMP HER NOW AND SAVE YOURSELF A LIFETIME'S WORTH OF AGONY (or at least years of alimony).BTW, I have been married for 20 years and have 3 kids (EXTREMELY -EV) but the wife knows better than to complain about poker; especially since I wouldn't listen to her anyway, she gets her cut of the profits, and she gets the remote control when I'm playing.

My wife started that until I started taking 10% of my winnings and buying her stuff, etc. Now if i'm trying to watch TV she's like uh, what are you doing? Don't you have some cards to be playing?

Careful, I did that too and got bitched at about it.
Yeah, I "QFT" after seeing the post but didn't notice you did the same thing until I read further in the thread Kurt.I can't believe people are being so freakin' retarded about this subject...I just thought this would be a fun woman-bashing thread but it's gotten ridiculously hostile.Whether its' drinking with the boys, poker, sports, video games, or some other male hobby women have always had something to b!tch about their man. If there isn't another woman your woman currently hates then YOU are going to become her source for venting. Anything that you do with regularity that takes away from "quality time" may upset her. Different girls have different levels of tolerance. This can't be rocket science boys.To the happily married dude for 16 years...good for f-ing you! You found the most perfect person in the world...Yee Haw!! For a man who can make such a general statement about who "sucks" I'm shocked that you couldn't see the humour in the early posts. No one's killing women to play cards...rest assured.Furthermore, regardless of whether people are doing something for a living or not shouldn't change the level of compromise between two people. Just because I'm never going to be good enough to play on a professional hockey team and make big bucks doesn't mean I don't deserve to have my own time to play hockey. For a person who has sooo much love I can't believe you'd diminish a person's passion to dollars and cents.OP is saying he has a passion for poker and that the wife-to-be is pushing him to play less. He obviously cares enough for her to play less and just wanted to chat and vent a little on the forum. All of us who don't have "perfect" women understand where he's coming from and just threw in some silly responses that won't realistically change anything in his life. Why don't you get it? You must SUCK or something. :club:

Personally I have a lot of diffrent things that I love to do, these things tend to drive women crazy. My personal belief is what I call the "jelousy syndrome".If a woman sees their man enjoying anything but them it is like a light switch that goes on in there head. They will do whatever they can to get you to stop and I think the reason is that is how a woman can measure the love you have for them.I was in a 6 year realtionship where I almost gave everything that was important to me up. Guess who became unhappy and resentful, I truly felt trapped and unfulfilled.My life is great right now, I do what I want when I want. I date and have fun.When I meet a woman now I look for the jelousy syndrome then kick her to the curb after a couple discussions, this is **** that I will never put up with again.I have been dating a woman for several months now and the one thing she understands about me is that I will work with her and develop understandings and rules to make our realtionship great. She is very aware I WILL NEVER EVER GIVE UP ANYTHING THAT I ENJOY DOING FOR HER. It's my life and I deserve to be a little selfish, don't I?Maxima

I asked Daniel what he would do if his wife asked him to quit poker and he said he couldn't/wouldn't do it. But I don't make DN's money...so I'm going to cut back on my poker playing quite a bit for a while. I'll still play every now and then to get a fix, but I know my wife is right, it's not the most productive thing I could be doing right now.

Personally I have a lot of diffrent things that I love to do, these things tend to drive women crazy. My personal belief is what I call the "jelousy syndrome".If a woman sees their man enjoying anything but them it is like a light switch that goes on in there head. They will do whatever they can to get you to stop and I think the reason is that is how a woman can measure the love you have for them.I was in a 6 year realtionship where I almost gave everything that was important to me up. Guess who became unhappy and resentful, I truly felt trapped and unfulfilled.My life is great right now, I do what I want when I want. I date and have fun.When I meet a woman now I look for the jelousy syndrome then kick her to the curb after a couple discussions, this is **** that I will never put up with again.I have been dating a woman for several months now and the one thing she understands about me is that I will work with her and develop understandings and rules to make our realtionship great. She is very aware I WILL NEVER EVER GIVE UP ANYTHING THAT I ENJOY DOING FOR HER. It's my life and I deserve to be a little selfish, don't I?Maxima
+1 ...you're a hero to men with self-respect/self-worth everywhere
+1 ...you're a hero to men with self-respect/self-worth everywhere
Agreed. Men have taken a beating in the past 30 years or so. There's a whole generation of pussies out there walking around with a set of unused balls. Women NEVER say what they want. Never. They're like dogs in that they constantly challenge your authority, but very much fall into structure when you assert your authority. And when they say they want a sensitive man who makes time for them, guess what?

Oooh, oooh, I know this thread is a few days old, but I just had a great solution for the OP....First, if you don't have a laptop and wireless, get it, and play on the couch. Or else get a really big comfy chair wherever you currently play. Then, when you feel like playing, put on your sweetest voice, and say: "Honey, can you come cuddle with me while I play? I feel like I'd play a lot better."You may want to limit yourself to one table because there may be talking involved, but at least you are in the game.... it's called positive reinforcement. You playing poker becomes associated in her brain with you being sweet and cuddly and lovable. Plus, she may just start to understand the game enough to give it a try (that's how my wife started, first just watching me, then just clicking the mouse for me, then playing for me while I took a break, then playing on her own.)PS: This may sound facetious, but I think it would be possible for most people to pull this off.

Oooh, oooh, I know this thread is a few days old, but I just had a great solution for the OP....First, if you don't have a laptop and wireless, get it, and play on the couch. Or else get a really big comfy chair wherever you currently play. Then, when you feel like playing, put on your sweetest voice, and say: "Honey, can you come cuddle with me while I play? I feel like I'd play a lot better."You may want to limit yourself to one table because there may be talking involved, but at least you are in the game.... it's called positive reinforcement. You playing poker becomes associated in her brain with you being sweet and cuddly and lovable. Plus, she may just start to understand the game enough to give it a try (that's how my wife started, first just watching me, then just clicking the mouse for me, then playing for me while I took a break, then playing on her own.)PS: This may sound facetious, but I think it would be possible for most people to pull this off.
Be extremely careful using this method or you may begin developing large breasts or small testicles...

I've recently dealt with this problem and used similar suggestions posted previously. When I first started playing, she huffed and puffed that it was to much. Over time we talked about the game, why I played and how poker as a hobbie that was a source of income was similar to something in her life that she enjoyed. When she saw the parallels she understood. :D But as with compromise there are rules set. :D I know when I'm most productive during the day playing cards or when I have set live play scheduled. So those are the times when I play without hassle and more encouragement to win. :club: During the process, she's learned the game and is actually pretty good now. I think she bluffs a little much sometimes when we play, but like any women they like the test and challenge as much as we do. :D In the end, I make sure I'm there for her and we still do the things we like together or separately. You don't always have to be up each other's @ss every minute, it's your life also. :)

lol she hasn't seen itIf she even knew I were posting on this site anymore, or still playing poker, I'd be in a lot of trouble with her. I still play every day while she's at work. I'm not a losing player...I'm not making a lot of money, but poker is not a liability. She still doesn't want me to play...she thinks I should be doing something more productive with my time. It's like I'm not allowed to have any down time or time to myself. She's right to an extent I guess...I have put some things off because of poker before..but for her to tell me not to play I think is unreasonable. Of course she is more important to me than poker. What I really should do is quit poker and focus on making my company the best it can be. Then after a few years when said successfull company has made us financially comfortable go back to poker and play all I want. The thing is I love poker, and its really hard to quit. And I'm afraid if I take a few years off I'll fall behind...poker will change...and maybe I'll just be to old to catch up and I'll never reach the level I want to reach. I dont have visions of TP/MM of course... but I think I can come a good player in time. I'm pretty new to the game and I've already had more than my share of MTT success for somebody who has been playing for such a short time.About a month ago on this board even said that I was quitting poker...but I'm still here. ah...phuckit...Im screwed either way.
You and the OP are in serious jeopardy of losing your man card's indefinitely.Please, be the MAN of the house. Not an ***, a Man. I went through this type of crap (though not about poker) with my wife 19 years ago. More than likely she's feeling like she's competing with poker for your time. You just need to talk to her and help her realize that everybody, her included, needs something they use as an escape, something to take your mind off your business (for example) for a couple hours a night and that your spending time playing poker in no way means that you don't want to spend time with her, you just enjoy poker as a way to get away and relax. If she truly loves and cares about YOU she will understand. You should also encourage her to find something she enjoys doing for the same reasons. And as another poster said, when you're not playing poker, give her the time and attention she needs. My wife quickly figured out that when I took the time to do whatever I was doing to relax and unwind, I was much happier and we enjoyed the time we spent together much more. GL
... spending time playing poker in no way means that you don't want to spend time with her, you just enjoy poker as a way to get away and relax. If she truly loves and cares about YOU she will ...
... provide an endless stream of blow jobs. If I got an endless stream of blow jobs, I doubt I'd be as interested in poker.

She wants more quality time? Tell her to give you a nice BEEJ when you're playing.Its a win/win situation.