Trades, Trades, Everywhere

Raycroft to TorontoTanguay to CalgaryDemitra to MinnesotaCan someone explain the Tanguay deal to me? seems like a bad move for colorado.Also, is Demitra (still) good enough to demand that much in return?
Raycroft to TorontoTanguay to CalgaryDemitra to MinnesotaCan someone explain the Tanguay deal to me? seems like a bad move for colorado.Also, is Demitra (still) good enough to demand that much in return?
FUCK!!!!
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, is Demitra (still) good enough to demand that much in return?
Demitra is very good to demand that much in return...as long as he's not tanking in the playoffs like he always does. Demitra is still good for 75-80 points when healthy. He just never shows up in the playoffs.
Demitra is very good to demand that much in return...as long as he's not tanking in the playoffs like he always does. Demitra is still good for 75-80 points when healthy. He just never shows up in the playoffs.
Demitra is nothing like the kind of guy you'd expect to play for the Wild. This is a very strange acquisition.
Demitra is nothing like the kind of guy you'd expect to play for the Wild. This is a very strange acquisition.
I think the Wild realised in the new NHL you need SOME offence. Demitra does have a solid career + -, I'm sure they looked at that.

Demitra is a good offensive player who can hold his own in the defensive zone, as he has the ability to play centre, so I don't think he'd be in much trouble with Jacques Lemaire.On the other hand, giving up Patrick O'Sullivan, a player Minnesota stole in the mid 2nd round when he's about a mid to late 1st rounder, plus another 1st round pick, is quite a high price. I think O'Sullivan may make a big impact next year.

First off trading tanguay is ridiculous. Hes the steadiest point getter on the team and you give him away for a mediocre "offensive" defensemen. I'm still at a loss of words.Demitra for O'sullivan sucked too, O'Sullivan is going to be a star in the NHL. He would have been an early 1st rounder if there werent questions surrounding his personal life. Who knows where this kid would be if his father wasn't such a shithead.

First off trading tanguay is ridiculous. Hes the steadiest point getter on the team and you give him away for a mediocre "offensive" defensemen. I'm still at a loss of words.
It's sounding more like a salary dump than anything
It's sounding more like a salary dump than anything
Yeah, it sounds like they're either looking to sign Blake at a cheaper price or let him go and use the Tanguay/Blake money to make a splash in the free agent market. My first thought was Elias.

Boynton and a 4th to Phoenix for Mara and a 3rd.Blackhawks buy out Barnaby and Brown.Ottawa don't offer Arnason a contract.Marty Biron signs one year qualifier and is hoping/waiting for a trade.

Boynton and a 4th to Phoenix for Mara and a 3rd.Blackhawks buy out Barnaby and Brown.Ottawa don't offer Arnason a contract.Marty Biron signs one year qualifier and is hoping/waiting for a trade.
Is Boston trying to lose games? Is this a new strategy to get high draft picks? Boynton was a real solid guy. Haven't seen much of Mara since he plays in the West, but he always struck me as an offence-first guy, though his terrible plus/minus might just because of the bad teams he's been on.
$#@^ .. makes trading away Bochenski for him an even bigger mistake!
That wasn't possible, just saying...My trade thoughts:Boston made out huge on the Boynton - Mara deal, Paul Mara is going to be a superstar in this league and Boynton is a sometime scoring goon. Factor in the draft choice to Boston and the Bruins really made a good deal there. Colorado had to dump some salary somewhere, but I don't think jettisoning the future of their team for a low scoring defenseman and some picks was the smart move. Tanguay was extremely valuable to the Avs, and his production will be sorely missed as Sakic's numbers decline. Leopold is a smart young defenseman, but I wouldn't have traded LaPerriere for him let alone Tanguay. Demitra to the Wild doesn't make any sense to me either. From LA's POV I like the move very much. From Minnesotas POV I don't know what the hell they were thinking. O'Sullivan just had an excellent season in the AHL and is clearly ready for the big league, whereas Demitra's career is in decline and he carries a big salary. As a salary move, I could see player for player here, but Minnesota tossing in their 1st rounder next year (which will likely be Top Ten) is asinine. Raycroft to Toronto is an excellent move for both teams involved, now Toronto can explore their options with Belfour (ditch him!) and Boston can rotate two #1 goalies (Taylor and Toivonen) and bring Rask along as an understudy future #1. Great trade here. I think I already weighed in on the Luongo trade, but I like the move for both teams. Florida was obviously looking to get away from the constant contract bickering with Luongo, and they managed to bring in some extremely solid talent in exchange. Alex Auld can thrive as a #1 netminder in a good defensive system, which the Panthers have. Todd Bertuzzi will be an excellent scoring option on the Jokinen line, addng to both players productivity. I like this move a lot. Regarding Marty Biron, I really hope the Sabres try to keep him as the #2 netminder. I can understand Biron's frustrations about wanting to be the #1 guy on any team the will have him, but if Buffalo ships him off for a draft pick and/or a journeyman to make him happy they're committing suicide. More and more having two capaple netminders will be the norm, and the Sabres are well ahead of the curve on that. Any trade involving Biron needs to bring immediate defensive help (Top 4 defenseman) and a capable backup goalie. The Sabres have no one in the system that I would trust starting an NHL game other than Miller and Biron at the moment, Rochester's goalies just aren't ready.

I don't blame Ottawa for not giving Arnason a qualifying offer. The guy has talent, but he simply wasn't trying. Such a waste of a prospect to acquire him. I don't know where his career is going if he can't get motivated to play for a team with a real chance at the Stanley Cup.

I don't blame Ottawa for not giving Arnason a qualifying offer. The guy has talent, but he simply wasn't trying. Such a waste of a prospect to acquire him. I don't know where his career is going if he can't get motivated to play for a team with a real chance at the Stanley Cup.
I don't blame them either, he's kind of a cancer and certainly not worth the money it would take for Ottawa to qualify him (not that his production may not be worth that money on another team, but he wouldn't make the 3rd line in Ottawa). I'm sure they wish they had realized that before shipping Bochenski off to Chicago though. Foolish move on their part, they traded away a future 1st line star for absolutely nothing at the end of the day (plus the loss of a second round pick this year, keep an eye on Simon Danis-Pepin to see if his loss was a real tragedy or not).
I don't blame them either, he's kind of a cancer and certainly not worth the money it would take for Ottawa to qualify him (not that his production may not be worth that money on another team, but he wouldn't make the 3rd line in Ottawa). I'm sure they wish they had realized that before shipping Bochenski off to Chicago though. Foolish move on their part, they traded away a future 1st line star for absolutely nothing at the end of the day (plus the loss of a second round pick this year, keep an eye on Simon Danis-Pepin to see if his loss was a real tragedy or not).
http://www2.ottawasenators.com/eng/news/re...newsItemID=1135Muckler didn’t discount the idea of bringing back Arnason in the future.“That’s a possibility if he wants to come back. We had asked him if he wanted to take a reduction in pay. He refused to do that. So we thought it would be better for him, and better for ourselves, that he didn’t return. We’ll have conversations about him coming back. If he’d like to come back, he’ll probably come back. If not, there’s nothing we can do about that.”Receiving qualifying offers were Ray Emery, Martin Havlat, Chris Kelly, Chris Neil, Peter Schaefer, Jason Spezza, Vaclav Varada and Antoine Vermette. Forward Brian McGrattan, who was scheduled to enter restricted free agency as well, has already been re-signed to a two-year extension.During the conference call Monday afternoon, Muckler was also asked if he’s looking into obtaining a new goaltender.“We’re still exploring all our options. We certainly have to make up our mind by July 1 whether we’re going into the unrestricted free agents. Another option is a trade.“Another option is to sign Dominik Hasek. I’m not saying we wouldn’t sign Dominik Hasek even if we do those other two options I mentioned before. I’ve been thinking that maybe we end up with Hasek and we end up (Ray) Emery. And maybe we don’t. Maybe we end up with three.”Much of the focus of this off-season has been on re-signing defencemen Wade Redden and Zdeno Chara to new contracts. With the deadline for teams to sign their prospective free agents coming on July 1, Muckler was asked how talks are going with the agents of the players.“I’ll tell you better at the end of the week. We’ve had conversations with both agents. They were good conversations. We think we’re progressing and we’ll continue to work at it.”-----------------------------------------------------------------------------"Good luck" to Arnason getting an offer at $1.2 million - the only way I can see him make that kind of cash would be to have an incentive ladden contract. Between Redden and Chara i'm willing to bet Redden will be back - more of a fan favourite and, considering the "new" NHL, has the speed and mobility to keep up. Still pretty concerning that nothing has been signed yet this close to the deadline.
"Good luck" to Arnason getting an offer at $1.2 million - the only way I can see him make that kind of cash would be to have an incentive ladden contract. Between Redden and Chara i'm willing to bet Redden will be back - more of a fan favourite and, considering the "new" NHL, has the speed and mobility to keep up. Still pretty concerning that nothing has been signed yet this close to the deadline.
I can see Arnason signing with another team for up to $2 million per. He has talent and scoring ability, but Ottawa is the last team in the league that needs to be spending between one and two million dollars of their cap on a Centreman who probably can't earn his way onto their 3rd line. He was much better off on the top line in Chicago, but of course Chicago won't pay him what he thinks he deserves. I can see him landing somewhere like Florida or Boston, where there's a significant dropoff in talent and production beyond the 1st line. There should be a flurry of activity in the next couple days, it'll be fun to watch.
I can see Arnason signing with another team for up to $2 million per. He has talent and scoring ability, but Ottawa is the last team in the league that needs to be spending between one and two million dollars of their cap on a Centreman who probably can't earn his way onto their 3rd line. He was much better off on the top line in Chicago, but of course Chicago won't pay him what he thinks he deserves. I can see him landing somewhere like Florida or Boston, where there's a significant dropoff in talent and production beyond the 1st line. There should be a flurry of activity in the next couple days, it'll be fun to watch.
I can see him ending up in St. Louis ... unfortunately. It might be a good fit (there's nothing to work him in around, after all) but who wants a lazy player asking for way more than he's worth?

The Carolina Hurricanes are expected to announce Saturday that the team has signed centre Eric Staal. Under the CBA, the Canes could not re-sign Staal, who had not completed his entry-level contract, until July 1. It's a three-or four-year deal that would make him the team's highest-paid player at an excess of $4 million annually. - Raleigh News and ObserverAdd the Montreal Canadiens to the list of teams interested in signing Patrik Elias. According to RDS, Bob Gainey will try to negotiate with the UFA on Saturday. - RDSAs of Friday night, the Canadiens did not have a deal completed with defenceman Francis Bouillon. The soon-to-be-free agent is seeking a deal worth $2.2 million a season, the Habs are offering $1.7 million a season. - RDSLeafs GM John Ferguson Jr. told TSN's Off the Record on Friday that there was no progress with the Panthers in working out a deal for forward Gary Roberts at that time. The Detroit Red Wings aren't sure if forward Brendan Shanahan will be back. GM Ken Holland said Shanahan, 37, will explore the market, after turning down an offer from the Wings. He could still re-sign with Detroit after testing the market, like he did in 2004. - Detroit NewsThe Rangers will inquire about Patrik Elias and Zdeno Chara but could also sign more North American players. They are apparently interested in Bill Guerin, but it's unknown if he'll agree to a one-year contract. Negotiations to re-sign Martin Rucinsky have hit a snag, with Rucinsky seeking a two-year deal and the Rangers countering with one. - NY PostDevils GM Lou Lamoriello is willing to spend over the cap again this summer if it could help him re-sign Patrik Elias and Jamie Langenbrunner. - Star Ledger