Tournament Of Champions Question

I havn't really read anything this year about new changes to the wsop so tyhis may be an obviuos question. I keep hearing that the wsop TOC is being held this coming week. May somebody enlighten me as to why the TOC is being held before any of the actual wsop events?

I may be wrong but I think it will be the Main Event '05 final table, the Circuit winners since the last main event and any other "sponsor exemptions"(i.e. Hellmuth, Chan, and Brunson last year).

I may be wrong but I think it will be the Main Event '05 final table, the Circuit winners since the last main event and any other "sponsor exemptions"(i.e. Hellmuth, Chan, and Brunson last year).
but wasnt last years TOC, already have the final table winners, thats how matusow won it.
but wasnt last years TOC, already have the final table winners, thats how matusow won it.
Yes but in matusows blog he talks about getting ready and wanting to repeat his win. So im guessing that they are useing last years final table and the winners of the circuit events.
Yes but in matusows blog he talks about getting ready and wanting to repeat his win. So im guessing that they are useing last years final table and the winners of the circuit events.
yeah thats what they are doingi think it was on pokernews.com i read it
ya, sweet f'in deal for all the guys at the final table of '05 main event. they get into TWO 2 million dollar freerolls for making ONE final table.
No, it's the 2005 TOC final table that is getting entry into this TOC, not the 2005 WSOP ME final table. However, a coupe of those guys (Matusow and Dannenman) qualify for what you are talking about.
No, it's the 2005 TOC final table that is getting entry into this TOC, not the 2005 WSOP ME final table. However, a coupe of those guys (Matusow and Dannenman) qualify for what you are talking about.
After reading the first part of this thread the WSOP ME made more sense...but i always am dying to see Hoyt Corkins big smile, it brings a tear to my eye and hope to my heart

Is Daniel in this with his win in Tunica or not. When looking on WSOP pathetic webpage there is no lieup posted. When looking at the payouts for some circuit events it says winner gets seat but on others it does not mention it. Tunica is one event where it is not mentioned.

where did you get this, all the things I find say it is the final table of the '05 ME.
matusow has a blog..Link?

From Pokerpages:The 2006 World Series of Poker Tournament of Champions -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Justin, I see that this year's World Series of Poker Tournament of Champions is only set for a two-day event. I have also heard on ESPN's poker show with Phil Gordon that it's only going to be a 15-20 person invitation only. Is this going to be that different from last year's event(I remember reading a while back that many of the same people would qualify cause they were having it before the WSOP this year, but then heard the clip on Phil Gordon's show)? Also, is this going to get any ESPN coverage? Thanks, Ben, T.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thanks for the question, Ben!The Tournament of Champions, started in 2004 when Harrah's purchased the rights to the World Series of Poker, saw Annie Duke become its first winner. It has since become an annual, freeroll invitation with a multi-million dollar prize pool.Firstly, although I have not heard the radio show of which you speak, there will be more than "15-20" players. This year's Tournament of Champions will feature 27 players spread across three tables, squaring off on the 26th and 27th of July. And yes, it will be broadcast on ESPN, though I'm not sure of the date at this point.It's still invitation only, but players qualify in one of three ways: * Finishing within the final 9 players of the 2005 World Series of Poker * Finishing in first place in any one of the 2005-2006 World Series of Poker Circuit events. * Special Invite from Harrah's or its sponsors. The qualifiers for this year's event consist of the final nine from last year's main event, each of the 12 WSOP-C event winners from the 2005-2006 season, and 6 players receiving sponsor's exemptions. I'll be giving you an in-depth run-down of each of the players before the event starts on Monday, and providing coverage of the event as it unfolds!Stay tuned.

After reading the first part of this thread the WSOP ME made more sense...but i always am dying to see Hoyt Corkins big smile, it brings a tear to my eye and a swelling in my wranglers.
FYP

Here is the list of players:CardPlayer.com: WSOP Kicks Off Sunday with Tournament of Champions"The players competing in this Sunday’s TOC are Abraham Korotki, Greg Merkow, Daniel Negreanu, Jeffrey King, Vinny Vinh, Chris Reslock, Chris Ferguson, Joseph Hachem, Steven Dannenmann, John Derick, “Tex” Barch, Aaron Kanter, Andrew Black, Scott Lazar, Daniel Bergsdorf, Bradley Kondracki, Mike Matusow, Peter Feldman, Darrell “Gigabit” Dicken, John Spadavecchia, Thang “Kido” Pham, Sarah Strom, Clint Baskin, Doyle Brunson, Phil Hellmuth, Mike Sexton, Mike O’Malley, and Gus Hansen."As for why Mike Sexton & Mike O'Malley are playing, I think Party Poker has a deal with ESPN for this event.

Here is the list of players:CardPlayer.com: WSOP Kicks Off Sunday with Tournament of Champions"The players competing in this Sunday’s TOC are Abraham Korotki, Greg Merkow, Daniel Negreanu, Jeffrey King, Vinny Vinh, Chris Reslock, Chris Ferguson, Joseph Hachem, Steven Dannenmann, John Derick, “Tex” Barch, Aaron Kanter, Andrew Black, Scott Lazar, Daniel Bergsdorf, Bradley Kondracki, Mike Matusow, Peter Feldman, Darrell “Gigabit” Dicken, John Spadavecchia, Thang “Kido” Pham, Sarah Strom, Clint Baskin, Doyle Brunson, Phil Hellmuth, Mike Sexton, Mike O’Malley, and Gus Hansen."As for why Mike Sexton & Mike O'Malley are playing, I think Party Poker has a deal with ESPN for this event.
ooh, Chan gets shafted this year, Pepsi leaving him out in the cold.... replaced by Clint Baskin? or Gus Hansen?
Is Daniel in this with his win in Tunica or not. When looking on WSOP pathetic webpage there is no lieup posted. When looking at the payouts for some circuit events it says winner gets seat but on others it does not mention it. Tunica is one event where it is not mentioned.
Yes since DN won Tunica, he qualifies for it.

Mike's blog is pretty interesting. "Growing up, Mike pursued a number of interests, and competition was always a common theme. Whether it was working on building race cars, shooting pool, or bowling, where he often rolled games of 290 or more, and once threw a perfect 300, Mike craved the competition." Why isn't he a professional bowler?

Mike's blog is pretty interesting. "Growing up, Mike pursued a number of interests, and competition was always a common theme. Whether it was working on building race cars, shooting pool, or bowling, where he often rolled games of 290 or more, and once threw a perfect 300, Mike craved the competition." Why isn't he a professional bowler?
The same reason Negreanu isn't a pro hockey player? Obviously not that great enough to play pro and they're best at poker.
The same reason Negreanu isn't a pro hockey player? Obviously not that great enough to play pro and they're best at poker.
Or...it could be winning a big bowling event is worth like $7500 (just taking a guess at the number)...while winning a big poker tournament is worth millions..
It said that he often rolled games of 290 or more and bowled a 300 once. It sounds like he was one of the best bowlers in the world. I don't know what professional bowlers get now. They have the PBA tour on ESPN, but I guess he can make a lot more playing poker.