How Did You Build Your Bankroll?

Just curious how everyone started and built there bankroll for online poker. Im just a casual online player and university student who usually builds from 50 to 4 or 500 and makes consistent cashouts. Just wondering how everyone got started and how they built up.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious how everyone started and built there bankroll for online poker. Im just a casual online player and university student who usually builds from 50 to 4 or 500 and makes consistent cashouts. Just wondering how everyone got started and how they built up.
bonuses at first then winning + bonuses then winning + bonuses + rakeback

Started playing online last fall in play money. I was a complete noob, although I'd played poker a little bit my whole life. Eventually, I got to the point where I could win several play money SnG's in a row. I'm not bragging (God no!)From there I deposited $50 on Party. I played it down to about $20 playing the dollar tourney (there used to be only one). Then one night I won $140 in the dollar tourney. I decided to branch out. I soon lost almost all of my money and then some. But at no point was I ever down more than $100.I decided to read the NL chapter of Doyle's Super System and suddenly I started winning my money back in mostly $5 SnG's. (This would have been March)Now I'm up about $1,000, just playing low-stakes. No big MTT wins at all. Mostly small wins in SnG's.I cash-out $100 every now and then. At this point, I'm not sure whether I want to build a bankroll, or just have hobby money. It sounds like we may be similar in that regard.Just my $0.02.

after not considering that I could really make money doing this, and tired of losing $200/month. I got serious about reading the Limit forum here and read "Gettin Started in Hold'em" and "SSHE".put $200-250 on Party and started grinding .5/1.at $700 started playing $1/2.Not winnig much theres, so I'd mix in .5/1 as well.Got up to $1200 and moved to .5/1 6 Max.Got to $1500 and moved to $1/2 6 Max.Got to $2000 and was "supposed" to begin working on multitabling back at .5/1, but instead "took a shot" at 2/4. Great run continues and I was up to $3200. Lost $400 in March 2006. Switched to SnG's in April 2006.Starting "from scratch"Played some 10+1's and 20+1, 6 Man and Full.Now have $1300 from SnG's.Have essentially taken out BR from Limit days.so that's my story, if anyone cares.

I started with 60 cents I won in a freeroll on Paradise. I started playing the $0.02/$0.04 limit hold-em tables. I got lucky and doubled my money the first session.When I got up to about $3, I added the $0.02/$0.04 7-stud games. Was beating those games for 9BB/hr.When I got up to $10, I added the $2 max NL hold-em games. I multi-tabled those three games, which is pretty easy to do since the competition is so bad and you only have to play ABC poker to make a profit.When I got up to $20, I would buy in to the $0.50/$1.00 limit Omaha/8 games. I'd buy in for $10. If I lost it, I lost it and would go back to the micros until I won it back. Then try again.When I got up to $40, I started playing the $0.50/$1.00 7-stud games. Those are easy money and I was over $100 in no time.At that point, I played most of the $0.50/$1.00 limit games they offered (everything except for pineapple and 5-stud). Also started playing the $1/$2 5-draw games, which is probably the easiest money on Paradise after the $0.50/$1.00 7-stud. I did the same trick of buying in for 10BB. If I lost it to bad beats due to horrible opponents, I'd buy back in. If I lost it b/c I played poorly, I'd quit.Playing the different games kept me from getting bored and protected me from going broke. If I had a bad run in one game, it was usually counteracted by a good run in another game.My bankroll is now about $1,200. I think starting from nothing like that really helped me with bankroll management. Buying back in was never an option. If I ever went broke, I'd go back to the freerolls to try again. Fortunately, that never happened and I haven't had to play freerolls for quite a while.

My bankroll: To build my Bankroll I started paying closer attention to the ground. Often I will find a penny or dime. Surprisingly nickels and quarters are harder to come by. Using this method I have achieved a daily rate of approximately $1.25. Around the holidays you can find ripped up tweenties around the malls. I think its because ppl get mad at their family and tear the money up in their families face. This is done to induce crying and reduce pain. The holidays can be tuff on ppl since they have to be around other ppl a long time...Ok I am joking> I actually make .75 per day using this method.

Luckbox MTT. Hell yeah. I've built it up on other occasions playing NLHE cash games, LHE cash games, and SnGs, but I lost it back every time. I'm up about $4500 over the last month or so playing PLO, but 75% of my BR is still from that one tourney.

deposited 100blew 90 of it at .5/1 lhegot pissedcame back a month later and actually wanted to make something out of itgrinded LO8 on stars forevermixed in .25/.5 LHE etc.started bonus whoring and switched to lhe ring and some PLOand for about 6 months now it's been all 6max (mostly 3/6) and soem bonusing

Deposite $50 on Full Tilt.25/.50 Limit$10 NL Sit-n-go's$20 NL Sit-n-go's.50/1 Limit1/2 Limit.25/.50 NL (where I am right now)I usually played WAYYY below my bankroll. I get nervous about moving up and get a bit too comfortable where I am at any given time. I guess that's better than the alternative, though.

I had DN stake me. He gave me a twenty dollar tip for a lap dance, which i deposited on Bodog. I bet that the colts would go undefeated at a brazillion to one (I lost). Now I spend my time asking the players at the 10/20 game on full tilt for money.

I had DN stake me. He gave me a twenty dollar tip for a lap dance, which i deposited on Bodog. I bet that the colts would go undefeated at a brazillion to one (I lost). Now I spend my time asking the players at the 10/20 game on full tilt for money.
Well, at least you have a plan.

credit cardless i played a freeroll on party and worked it up from there. $20 to start with and im now playing 10/20 and 20/40. it can be done you just need to have a good run to get started

after not considering that I could really make money doing this, and tired of losing $200/month. I got serious about reading the Limit forum here and read "Gettin Started in Hold'em" and "SSHE".put $200-250 on Party and started grinding .5/1.at $700 started playing $1/2.Not winnig much theres, so I'd mix in .5/1 as well.Got up to $1200 and moved to .5/1 6 Max.Got to $1500 and moved to $1/2 6 Max.Got to $2000 and was "supposed" to begin working on multitabling back at .5/1, but instead "took a shot" at 2/4. Great run continues and I was up to $3200. Lost $400 in March 2006. Switched to SnG's in April 2006.Starting "from scratch"Played some 10+1's and 20+1, 6 Man and Full.Now have $1300 from SnG's.Have essentially taken out BR from Limit days.so that's my story, if anyone cares.
Hey actuary whyd u quit limit?
Hey actuary whyd u quit limit?
Hey actuary whyd u quit limit?Hey actuary whyd u quit limit?
sorry, I'm still laughing about cu_dan playing 20/40.As far as I can tell, Actuary quit Limit because he currently lacks the desire/ambition to take his game to the next level. While aware of his short comings in understanding Limit beyond SSHE, Actuary tends to go all out or not at all. To continue LHE meant a re-invigoration, a committment to study and practice. Actuary has other more important aspects of his life that need committment as well now.

I've worked my way up from .5/.10 LHE on stars. If I hadnt cashed here and there out I'de have the roll to be playing about 5/10. Here is how you do it.1) Bonuses - until you are playing 5/10 or higher never ever be playing without one. Also always have rakeback on any site that you can get it on. Rakeback + bonus = double winrate at low limits, maybe more.2) Lots of hands. I try to play 500 hands a day.

Deposited $100 on Party around late March '05. I'd read SSHE, but didn't really understand it and I lost all but $6 playing .5/1 and 1/2 LHE. However, I managed to clear a $50 deposit bonus. So, with $56 I started playing $6 SnG's and eventually graduated to $11's. After building up enough to take a shot at $22's I went on a bad run in SnG's around July of last year and switching back to LHE with new dedication. My current bankroll has been built up from LHE and some decent MTT finishes. I'm currently a winner at 2/4 Limit, but haven't had success yet at 3/6. I'm taking a break from limit right now and concentrating on improving my NL cash play and my Tournament play.

on bugsysclub, i won 9 bugsy bonus points in a freeroll. if you get to 100 or more, they can be converted to real money as 100 bbp = $1. i played a few bbp sngs and cash games, finally got to like $1.20. i kept working this up, got to $424.46 at the end of last summer, where my parents intervened and told me i was no longer allowed to play online.so i stopped for about 3 months, then went back without telling them; i'd only play when they were totally gone. i ended up getting to about 5 thousand dollars this way. i then tried to cash it all out through neteller, but i didn't realize that NT only accepts 18 year olds. so i basically cashed out 2000 to neteller, but when i tried to verify myself they are like oh its all bad and they sent the money back to the site. so, basically i have 2000 dollars thats sorta "in limbo" right now; its not on the site but not in my NT account. its under "pending cashout" in my bugsysclub cashier. okay so i had 5000 dollars, i started playing some more and now i have about 13k, and mommy and daddy still have no idea. i have been playing primarily 1-2 nl, 2-4 nl, 3-6 nl, and 5-10 nl; since bugsys is such a small site i just play whatever tables are open. my 18th birthday is in january. i can't wait.

on bugsysclub, i won 9 bugsy bonus points in a freeroll. if you get to 100 or more, they can be converted to real money as 100 bbp = $1. i played a few bbp sngs and cash games, finally got to like $1.20. i kept working this up, got to $424.46 at the end of last summer, where my parents intervened and told me i was no longer allowed to play online.
Your parents are hella gay. You were playing with money you got from freerolls, and they got pissed off at you? What the hell! To be fair, I never started playing online until I was 19, and living (at least part of the time) on my own, so I don't know how my parents would have reacted to that if I was under 18, but I can't imagine they'd try to shut me down if I'd never even made a deposit. Actually, considering they let me lose $100 a summer betting the horse races when I was under 18, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't care.