answer to quizz question #7

As a big fan of Daniel's, I remember a tip he gave out in one of his articles on a different Website. Daniel said " you look for hands that play well after the flop." I have taken this reasoning to try and up my game to the next level. Therefore, I am wondering why some posts say to fold this hand, since you only have an eight high. With five cards to come, and with a strong possibilty you have two live cards ( which of course improve your percentages), I would play this hand like AKs. P.S. - I am always amazed at what I see the Pros play in a heads-up situation, hands that any book would tell you to fold. Thanks again for the cool Website.Lee

As a big fan of Daniel's, I remember a tip he gave out in one of his articles on a different Website. Daniel said " you look for hands that play well after the flop." I have taken this reasoning to try and up my game to the next level. Therefore, I am wondering why some posts say to fold this hand, since you only have an eight high. With five cards to come, and with a strong possibilty you have two live cards ( which of course improve your percentages), I would play this hand like AKs. P.S. - I am always amazed at what I see the Pros play in a heads-up situation, hands that any book would tell you to fold. Thanks again for the cool Website.Lee
Umm, check again. There is no opportunity for post-flop play when the other player has put you all-in preflop.

Umm, check again. There is no opportunity for post-flop play when the other player has put you all-in preflop.Ummm, I wasn't talking about post-flop "play" at all. Check my article again, and understand that I meant you play hands with outs that do better with five cards to come. Ummmm....

Umm' date=' check again. There is no opportunity for post-flop play when the other player has put you all-in preflop.[/quote']Ummm, I wasn't talking about post-flop "play" at all. Check my article again, and understand that I meant you play hands with outs that do better with five cards to come. Ummmm....
Ummm, this is a really meaningless post, since all hands in hold'em are evaluated pre-flop on the basis there are 5 cards to come (there are very minor exceptions but not when you're calling an all-in). Anyone who understands the rules of Holdem will not make this mistake.And to the person who suggested to "throw all pot odds out the window" and similiar posters, I hope to play you heads up some day. You must always consider pot odds, unless you catch some ludicrously trustworthy tell.The fact that you lose future equity (the fact that now if you double up it will be for less) by folding here is the ONLY logical arguement you can make for this play. However, even considering that, I still think it is very close but not worth it. It isnt too hard to compute mathmatically. When you do, as i have done, including future equity, i think the better play is to go all in next hand unless you get dealt compete trash. Not only is your hand likely to be better, his is much much more likely to be worse, and this change is slightly worth the loss of the 2400 (with or without assuming he'll fold with a bad hand).But its really close.

Ummm, this is a really meaningless post, since all hands in hold'em are evaluated pre-flop on the basis there are 5 cards to come (there are very minor exceptions but not when you're calling an all-in). Anyone who understands the rules of Holdem will not make this mistake. I love this guy. Thanks for the smart reply, but your reply is meaningless, cause of course all cards are evaluated pre-flop with 5 cards to come— DUH! the example was that Daniel was holding a suited connector. Is that evaluated the same as Ace nine off with 5 cards to come? But thanks for the unnessasary smart-butt reply anyway. By the way, this forum is filled with mroe people who want to show how much they know about Poker, than anything else. I guess I fell into that catorgory too. Truth is, there are 100 ways to look at any hand, and maybe 65 of those are "right". So before we call anyone's post meaningless, maybe we should make sure we know what the guy is talking about first (Moron)

Thanks for the smart reply' date=' but your reply is meaningless, cause of course all cards are evaluated pre-flop with 5 cards to come— DUH! [/quote']This didnt seem obvious to you before.
Is that evaluated the same as Ace nine off with 5 cards to come? [/qoute] Assuming this was rhettorical and the answer you intended to imply was no' date=' you just contradicted yourself. If the answer you intended to imply was yes, then you just contradicted yourself . Think about it and you should be able to tell why, if you cant I'll help you.
But thanks for the unnessasary smart-butt reply anyway. By the way' date=' this forum is filled with mroe people who want to show how much they know about Poker, than anything else. I guess I fell into that catorgory too. Truth is, there are 100 ways to look at any hand, and maybe 65 of those are "right". So before we call anyone's post meaningless, maybe we should make sure we know what the guy is talking about first (Moron)[/quote']Speaking of meaningless, learn to tell the difference between an attack on you and an attack on your ideas. Anyone who says to concider 78s the same as AKs especially heads up deserves to be contradicted.
  • 1 month later...

chips were very short here, but as a call u get zero folding equity. id rather pop all in next hand with any 2 so he has a chance to fold. i mean ur calling with 8 high. raise all in with it yes but not call.

• 1 month later...

Mathematically speaking, you should call with the 8,7 suited if you think you have at least a 41.67% chance of winning the pot. Obviously it is the correct fold if Antonio holds a high pocket pair, has him dominated, etc. But, even if Antonio held a hand as strong as Ace, King off suit (no diamond), you have a 41.9 % chance to win which is enough to make the call profitable (barely). There are relatively few hands Antonio could hold where your winning percentage will be below 41.67% compared to the vast number of hands where the winning percentage would be above 41.67% and a similar all in play would be expected.Skeptics may comment on long term tournament strategy and how to play from a short stack, but when considering if calling is a profitable play on this hand, at least a 41.67% chance to win is necessary for positive expected profits and cannot be disputed. If you don't know how to calculate this percentage, ask Daniel and maybe he'll tell you, and if he doesn't know, than he should send me an e-mail.plowking37@hotmail.com

• 3 years later...