I Seriously Don't Know What To Do.......

I know alot of people put up topics like the one I'm about to post, but I need to get this off my chest. I've been playing poker for awhile now and feel as though I'm a pretty decent player. I've paid for college for the past 3 years and hoping to do the same next year, but recently (past 6 months) I can't seem to win. Just in the past 5 days I've flopped top set and either lost to quads or straight or flush 15 times out of 23 according to poker tracker. I want to know how some of you can get a huge run going in cash games if this keeps happening. The past 6 months have just been horrible, none of my hands are holding up and when I put my money in 90% favorite, I'm losing almost 70% of the time on the huge hands. I know I'm just bitching and I'm not a regular poster here so I'm sure to be flamed, but I guess what I'm asking is what you guys do when you have stretches like this. I've always had bad beats here and there, but I honestly can't seem to win any of the hands where I'm a HUGE favorite and it's always the huge pots I can't seem to win anymore. It's to the point now that I'm questioning my ability to play and just assume I'm going to lose every hand. I mean, when you have AA and the flop is A J 7 with two diamonds and you're all in against AK, and then THREE people on flush draws and of course the diamond comes, how do you take losing these pots on a consistent basis??? Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks everyone.

your entitled to get it off your chest - just not in this forum! Bad beat forum is thhhataway

I know the feeling man. Most importantly, like most people will say, is to take a break. I know its hard cause poker is so fun and addicting, but a break is necessary. Remind yourself that life is not all about poker, and you'll feel much better about yourself. Also, play or learn a different game. If you know you are good, don't let your confidence fade. There is a point you come to as a poker player where you no longer doubt your abilities during bad stretches. Instead of questioning whether poker is for you, you instead realize that you are simply going through a bad run of cards and that eventually you'll get through it. It happens to everybody if you play cards long enough. Sometimes when I'm running really bad I'll play on another site, it probably doesn't mean anything, but it makes you think it does which is more important. Exercising also helps vent off frustration, but first take a break.

I Seriously Don't Know What To Do.......try the enter key
Thanks Dan for your response, a break is definatly in order. Yeah it is hard to take a break knowing the ways I'm losing, but hopefully it will help. Thanks everyone for their responses, good or bad.

its variance, I recommend taking a break spoil urself buy urself something nice, hang out with friends, go watch a movie, work out, enjoy the weather outside, re-read some books and tighten up! And about these players putting there money in when there a under-dog thats poker you would'nt of been able to pay for ur "3 years of college" with out these players :club: GL

If you just want encouragement, you can accept the answer "its just variance" and move on.But 6 months can be a non-trivial amount of poker, depending on how many hands you get out in a week.How many hands have you played over those 6 month?Are you playing the same stakes and at the same site that you did for the period that you were winning? Even if you were, the competition could have gotten better too. If you only play a few hundred hands a week, it's meaningless. But if you play something like 5k hands a week or more, a 6 month downswing is probably more than just "variance".

takin a break is always a good idea. even if its just for a few days, u can come back refreshed with a new attitude.

Great reply w/ the kegal exercises, priceless. Yeah actually I guess I can see where you're coming from though about the amount of hands played. In cash games I really haven't played very much which is where I keep getting bad beats. I've been pretty busy and just put money in here and there and that's when it happens. I've done fairly well in tournaments in that time span making a few final tables which has kept me in the positive area. I'm definatly going to take a break and come back and hopefully play some better poker. Thanks again guys.

Variance is a myth. The truth is that you have become a very bad poker player. You should start chasing more draws I think. Also, everyone is bluffing you, did you know that? The only way to defend against this is to call, call, call. For more poker advice, read my blog.

haha i will try that, every hand, you can bet your *** i will be there until the river only after snorting lines of cocaine on the table. Screw the break, this is the new plan.