Fidler day #2: Wsop Lake Tahoe Live Updates

Brian Fidler takes a pot from J.C. TranOn a board of 7-7-3-J, Brian Fidler checked, J.C. Tran bet 15k, Fidler raised to 40k, Tran reraised to 95k total, and Fidler called. The river came the 4?, Fidler bet 55k, and Tran called. Fidler showed J-7 for a boat.Is there any reason you didn't go for his entire stack in this one? The action seems messed up in their description, but it certainly seems likely that he has either the case 7 or a different hand that he's confident is the best hand.Did you have a specific read on him that he wouldn't call much bigger? Or is this part of the DN small ball strategy?Good luck!
Also, what was the pre-flop and post-flop action on this hand? This would probably make the turn and river action a lot more understandable.
  • Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that river bet doest make sens, why would he bet 55 in a pot with more then 300k in it
Especially since Tran was acting first on the turn. In the update in this thread, it said Tran called Fidler's raise on the river, so who knows. :club:
Especially since Tran was acting first on the turn. In the update in this thread, it said Tran called Fidler's raise on the river, so who knows. :club:
Fidler check the turn, and Tran bet.
Also, what was the pre-flop and post-flop action on this hand? This would probably make the turn and river action a lot more understandable.
there is no reason to make a 55k pot in a 300 unless you are making a defensive bet, now i dont know why u would make a defensive bet with a full house, unless he was tryng to give room for tran to come over the top on him in that case why not check raise the river if he think tran is that strong
that river bet doest make sens, why would he bet 55 in a pot with more then 300k in it
it was a 60k bet...reason was that if i went all in, i don't even think he would've called with the case 7, with the big stacks we both had...but i thought he might try to push back with it...or a smaller boat...or even with an overpair.Hey..i add an extra 60k to my stack...lay off :club:
it was a 60k bet...reason was that if i went all in, i don't even think he would've called with the case 7, with the big stacks we both had...but i thought he might try to push back with it...or a smaller boat...or even with an overpair.Hey..i add an extra 60k to my stack...lay off :club:
Haha. Considering our individual circumstances (i.e., me waiting for a sub from a pizza place while watching hometown boy Winky Wright box before going to a strip club; you fulfilling your dream and playing for 300+k dollars), I don't think I or anyone else here is questioning it. :)I was just curious if there was a specific reason you didn't go for more!
there is no reason to make a 55k pot in a 300 unless you are making a defensive bet, now i dont know why u would make a defensive bet with a full house, unless he was tryng to give room for tran to come over the top on him in that case why not check raise the river if he think tran is that strong
without knowing fidler's table image at that exact moment, there's only rwo reason i can see making this bet:If fidler had been showing down big hands recently, there's little reason to change a solid table image here, and make his opponent's lose respect for his play. JC Tran is also a decent pro, might see this as a value bet, and unless he really does have something big, he can't call. brian quietly mucks J7, no one knows.secondly, brian could've also put him on a range of a bet that he could actually call with certain hands. 60K-ish sounds like a small value bet perhaps, and if tran sees this as weak, he will move over the top of him, and brian can extract even more off him.a random assortment of thoughts out of my mind that i thought might string along together but didn't. take it as you may.
if ure going to makea small value why not half the pot that would been like 150, 60 seems like a ridiculous underbet
Half pot is proly too much25 to 30% betterBut if you ain´t in the ring it´s easy to make the call. At the table it´s just a bit different live and deep in a tourney for the first time.
if ure going to makea small value why not half the pot that would been like 150, 60 seems like a ridiculous underbet
150 was a little less than half of JC's remaining stack. do you seriously expect him to call there without the nuts or the second nuts to fidlers hand?EDIT: 100K's probably better, but 150K's too much to keep JC in with an inferior hand.
Half pot is proly too much25 to 30% betterBut if you ain´t in the ring it´s easy to make the call. At the table it´s just a bit different live and deep in a tourney for the first time.
25 30%? who taught u guys how to value? tran was clearly strong, he def let him off the hook, anxious to see what daniel has to say about this hand
150 was a little less than half of JC's remaining stack. do you seriously expect him to call there without the nuts or the second nuts to fidlers hand?EDIT: 100K's probably better, but 150K's too much to keep JC in with an inferior hand.
It certainly doesn't seem like that's the case, but of course, we weren't at the table.The only way Tran plays the turn like he did is with a strong hand or with nothing. The fact that he called the river suggests that it couldn't have been nothing. If Fidler thought that 60k was the best chance of getting Tran's chips, I believe him. Sometimes you have to bet small to get the over-the-top push you want. From the action and the action only, it seems to me like a turn push or a big river bet would've been called. But again, I'm not there, which is why I asked in the first place. :club:
25 30%? who taught u guys how to value? tran was clearly strong, he def let him off the hook, anxious to see what daniel has to say about this hand
But the thing for him now is to have a plan on how to play the bubble and short handed.
It certainly doesn't seem like that's the case, but of course, we weren't at the table.The only way Tran plays the turn like he did is with a strong hand or with nothing. The fact that he called the river suggests that it couldn't have been nothing. If Fidler thought that 60k was the best chance of getting Tran's chips, I believe him. Sometimes you have to bet small to get the over-the-top push you want. From the action and the action only, it seems to me like a turn push or a big river bet would've been called. But again, I'm not there, which is why I asked in the first place. :club:
i think this is the key statement here. also, in this situation, if i think tran has anything, i'd play this hand weak, and try to suck him into move in on me.

i really hope daniel comments on that hand with tran, i think its a very interesting hand, i think it was completely messed up but hes chip leader so he must be doing something right. Best of luck to youwhy is the payout so low? how many people entered?

i really hope daniel comments on that hand with tran, i think its a very interesting hand, i think it was completely messed up but hes chip leader so he must be doing something right. Best of luck to youwhy is the payout so low? how many people entered?
i believe it was 110ish.. around there.
We do get a warped idea of what´s low don´t we :club:
i think this is the key statement here. also, in this situation, if i think tran has anything, i'd play this hand weak, and try to suck him into move in on me.
Yeah, it's definitely read-dependent. I have people in my cash game that get offended when you underbet a river when they're obviously drawing. More often than not, they'll push if I do it, so I do it all the time. There reasoning is they refuse to fold a 100 dollar pot for a 5 dollar bet but probably are sitting on 10-high. If Fidler felt like this was his only chance to get everything, it is 100 percent the perfect play. Without being there, we don't know. Either way, when he has all the chips at the end of the tournament, it won't really matter. :club:
when are they stoping play, when it gets down to 9?
Yes.
omg, this is getting serious!any1 know if the FT is televised??
ESPN is taping the event, but I'm not sure when it will air.
Saturday, 17th of June 2006 07:22 PMPlayers have elected to take a dinner break, return at 8:45pm pst and play down to the final 9. We will all get a free day tomorrow and play the final on Monday.
The final table will be played Monday 6/17/06 at 2:00 PM PST.

Sick rush here for Brian. Everytime I refreshed this thread today it was "Hit a set, rivered a J, flopped trips..." Hope it continues in the next couple days.