Does anyone here have A.D.D ?? I have a.d.h.d. and I never took medicines for school even though I had to try harder and my grades suffered a bit. but now that Im playing poker I think that I could do much better if I didnt drift off into a day dream every time that Im not in a hand. I try and try and I always lose concentration when other people are playing. Anyway I thought about starting to take Aderall or something but I really dont want to because it affects my personality a lot. Anyone here have any advice?

I was going to go into a dissertation about ADHD to demonstrate my credibility, so you will listen to what I have to say. But I decided not to do that, and will instead just say that you will have to trust that I know what I am talking about.I am assuming in writing this that you have been diagnosed by a qualified Psychiatrist who specializes in ADD/ADHD/Bipolar disorders.If you have tried Adderall and have found that it does not work for you, there are alternatives. I do not profess to know all of them, but here are a few:1)Strattera. It's a non-stimulant prescription med that is supposed to be targeted to adults with ADD/ADHD. There are other drug treatments available; ask your doctor for more information.2)Diet and Exercise. No one likes it, but the simple truth is that if you eat healthy, eat less and exercise more, you will improve in many areas of your life, including the ability to focus. Sleeping habits are also a factor. Although this is a tough one to regulate in a poker lifestyle, getting regular and restful sleep can make a lot of difference (a suggestion for that below).3)Vitamins/Supplements. Almost everyone is vitamin deficient. This affects people in a variety of ways, and is often related to your diet. In addition to modifying your diet, taking an appropriate course of vitamins and supplements might fix the problem on its own. For most people, a combination of a multi-vitamin, B-complex, and Ginko Biloba will do the trick. Your doctor can have a simple blood test performed to tell you exactly what you should do. If you are not already taking an anti-depressant, you may consider adding St. John's Wort to that mix as well; if you are taking an anti-depressant, you probably should stay away from it. Also, if sleep is an issue, consider taking Melatonin at night. Like the vitamins, most people are also Melatonin deficient. Taking a small amount (1.5 mg) 20 minutes or so before you go to sleep may help you to have a longer, more restful sleep without the kind of side effects perscription meds or sleeping pills could give you.4)Consider giving up on your "poker dream." I know that may sound crazy, but for most people with ADD/ADHD, concentration is not actually the problem, it is distraction. What I mean by that is when the ADD/ADHD sufferer finds something that interests them or they are passionate about, they tend to hyper-focus--often to the point of their own harm. This is why ADD/ADHD people tend to work in extremes--many of the most successful people in history are believed to have had ADD/ADHD (success by a material standard, anyway--most people in this category have many problems outside their work life). Likewise, many sufferers do absolutely nothing with their lives--they live in constant frustration because they feel like they never get anything done. It is not because they are "lazy" or "losers," but more likely because they haven't tried to find the things they are passionate about. For people with ADD/ADHD, things like poker can be a blessing or a curse. The hyper-focus I discussed above means that many ADD/ADHD people have addictive personalities. As that relates to poker, it can be a very dangerous thing. So it is possible if you are having trouble focusing on your poker game, you may just not be passionate enough about it. While that may not dictate you quit it altogether, it may mean that you should only pursue it as a casual hobby.It is also possible that none of these things will work for you; but it may give you some direction. It is important to discuss any/all of this with a doctor (preferably a qualified Psychiatrist) before you start taking any of this advice.I hope that helps.

I dont have ADD but my friend(who is a very avid and successful player) does have it. He takes medication, don't kno which one, but it seems to help him. When he doesnt take medication its pretty obvious.

Doesnt layne flack have either ADHD or bi-polar disorder? I think he has actually said that drinking makes him play better because it calms him down....Am I off here?also, not that its a great consolation, but dutch boyd is bi-polar as well

I didn't have add when I was a kid, but I did have adolcesence. It's remarkably simmilar.
ADD/ADHD is one of the most misunderstood and overdiagnosed conditions in all of psychology, particularly in children. It has all too often been used as an excuse for parents who don't want to "parent" their children; just shove some drug in them and that will fix everything.

ADD/ADHD is one of the most misunderstood and overdiagnosed conditions in all of psychology, particularly in children. It has all too often been used as an excuse for parents who don't want to "parent" their children; just shove some drug in them and that will fix everything.Yup.If you ahve a 13 year old who doesn't meet the DSM standard, there's probably something seriously *wrong* with him or her.

Yup.If you ahve a 13 year old who doesn't meet the DSM standard, there's probably something seriously *wrong* with him or her.
Exactly. Like I was the strange one in my group of friends because my parents were still married.

and isn't ritalin a mild narcotic? is it any wonder high school kids peddle their ritalin and snort it as well? and i believe around 1 in 3 kids are diagnosed with ADHD these days, so receive some kind of medication for it. there's also something morally deficient to tell a kid something's wrong with him or her for not being able to pay attention in school, when the real problem is the subject matter in school and how it's presented..

dutch boyd is bi polar can't be much diferent.Than ADD?It's much diffrent, trust me.People with ADD don't spend a week unable to get up the motivation to get out of bed or eat. People with ADD rariely decide to re-model their appartment and sledgehamer a wall down at 4 am untll they police show up and they tell them they wanted more space.It's not very simmilar at all, really.Without medication for Bi-Polar disorder, most people, including myslef would probably be dead before 30. Without medication most people with ADD would be teenagers.

thirty one~Wow, your post was quite an eye opener for me. It explains so much... I always felt bad because it takes so much effort for me to play my best. Sleeping, eating, taking vitamines, going to the gym... It seems like I spend 16 hours a day getting ready to play 5 hours of poker. Then I think about Ivey averaging 60+ hours a week and then I feel like crap. I'll have to look into the other things you suggest.It also explains why it's easier for me to play well on the internet at home but when I go to the card room it's so difficult for me to play well. And I'm always so exhausted when I get home.Thanks so much!!

thirty one~Thanks so much!!
Maybe I'm just tired, but I can't quite tell if you are being serious or sarcastic. Perhaps I am too unsophisticated to catch the subtleties of your humor.Whichever one it is, you are welcome.

First of all, 31- great post. It's nice to see such a wonderful long winded reply, besides mine.I've personally always wondered if I had it. I've always had issues- not with consintration necessarily, but staying to one task. As long as I am progressing soldily ad i can measure success I am good. But things grow very boring fast. I'm finding Poker diffcult in waiting for the "key" hands. Four tabling seems to help, a lot. but even then I'm on these forums, watching tv, IMing people, and sometimes even on the phone. I won't go into all the problems I have (there are many more) but its lead me to believe I have a small problem with it. Maybe I will see a doctor.Anyway, thanks again, great post.

also, not that its a great consolation, but dutch boyd is bi-polar as wellI'm bi-polar as well.Honestly.
that explains why u can be such a pain in the butt one minute, and a nurturing mentor the next.

I'll add my kudos for 31's post. Helpful info.Here's my contribution in no certain order...well, because I'm not (hehe). Also, those interested in the poker side might want to skip to the end, though I think there'll be some good points throughout:I was diagnosed ADD about eight years ago. We were looking into our son's problems at school, and after reading some things on ADD, we not only figured that he was affected by it, but it also spelled out a number of things about my growing up. While they're generalities, good at math but bad at organization; good in classes with engaging/entertaining teachers, bad in classes with rigid taskmasters.I take Wellbutrin, which is an antidepressant, but apparently the anxiety-smoothing aspects of it lessen some of the concentration and organization issues--it used to be, when I had a project, I'd spend a lot of time just trying to figure out where to start, which would create more anxiety about starting and sort of create a feedback loop of inaction. You can imagine, as a writer, having that happen when I'm trying to write a book makes it a very big mountain to climb. I learned as time went on that if I get stuck like that, it's better to do a form of outline, more to break the big project down into little segments that I can check off. I can write an article off the cuff, so if I take a book project and turn it into a series of articles, I don't stress about the whole thing as much.I also take Dextrostat, which is like Ritalin in that it's a stimulant. Many people wonder why a hyperactive kid should take a stimulant. I'll say in my situation (though I've never been hyperactive) that the stimulant somewhat improves my signal-to-noise ratio--my brain is more able to focus on the one thing I should be concentrating on rather than having a competition between lots of things.I will say, though, that while I do feel the medication helps, the main issue is being aware of how it affects me. I have to push myself to be more organized and try to complete a task before moving to another one. I try to make lists for myself to better track things I need to do (and, in some cases, put them in priority) to take the pressure off my brain to organize it all. If I don't have to keep in my head all the things I have to do in a day, I'll have an easier time completing the tasks.(At this point, looking back on what I've written so far, I'll say it makes me look a bit like an addled moron. I'm actually quite smart and capable, but I'm probably a bit more susceptible to distraction. For those "normal" guys reading this, let me give this example: It's like when your girlfriend or wife is talking to you, and a really pretty girl walks by with a low-cut top. It's not that what your lady is saying isn't important, but at that moment, your brain can only comprehend the cleavage moving toward you, and when it passes, you'll probably tune back in to your SO. Well, I'm probably like that more often, and it's not just cleavage that put me there.)One book I read had a great point: ADD isn't probably accurately named Attention Deficit Disorder. In fact, it's better described as Attention Inconsistency Disorder. There are times when an ADD-afflicted person gets into what I'd call "hyperconcentration," where the same thing that causes the inability to concentrate on one thing at a time can also make the one thing focused on the ONLY thing focused on. My son used to play with Legos for hours on end, making somewhat amazing things for his age, and he was so fixated on what he was working on that you'd have to set off a firecracker next to him to pull him out of it.Now, as for poker, I'd guess that an ADD sufferer could probably be a really good poker player (especially if the "good at math" thing is true), though the discipline would have to be ratcheted up. I'm only recently getting into poker and I'd say that I have a tendency to get caught up in the betting "frenzy" enough that I sometimes miss the likelihood that my opponent might have a flush or straight coming out of the community cards. Again, my awareness of my ADD and how it affects me, though, has me pushing myself to make a concerted effort to look for that.With regards to Norman's saying that he sometimes drifts away in the course of a game he's not involved in, I can understand that, but that's not usually my problem. I usually end up riveted to the screen when I play online to see what everyone is doing. I think that part helps me. I can also say that the one time I two-tabled, it got a bit crazy when I had two live hands going at once...though I can't say it's the ADD that did that. It's probably more that I'm still new enough to poker that I need to think too much about what to do and overload when I have to do it twice as much at once.Finally, to cap this with a comment about what Smash has said: Yes, most teenager behavior could be "diagnosed" as ADD, when it's just the adolescent brain. I also read a quote from a doctor who said that pretty much everyone could benefit from a drug like Ritalin for its stimulant qualities, which is probably why it's so easily prescribed. That doesn't mean we should put it in the water supply. A E

This is a little absurd, but I just thought I'd check.Did anyone else glance at the title of the thread and think that it was going to be about Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (AD&D)? Should I be admitting that I did?

This is a little absurd, but I just thought I'd check.Did anyone else glance at the title of the thread and think that it was going to be about Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (AD&D)? Should I be admitting that I did?
nick, i think we found the defintion! :D

This obviously doesn't apply much to the initiator of this post, because he obviously is having concentration issues at the table, but I've heard more than a handful of people with ADD say that playing poker actually calms their ADD and they're able to concentrate better at the poker table than really anywhere else in their day to day life. I just find it odd, because I've heard it from several different people. I wonder if there's some sort of logical explanation for this theme... perhaps because there's so much to pay attention to when you're playing poker, they move from one thing to another very quickly and thus are able to pick up a lot of information. This might not explain why they say it "calms" them, but it may explain why Layne Flack is so damn good.

i agree with the relations to math, add, and the ability to be a good poker player or not..i like math a lot and studied it in college -- however the type of math i was studying(actuarial science) could only really be applied in the insurance industry which i found very boring(as were most of the other "math orientated" professions) and i would continuely lose focus during tasks..when i first started playing nl hold em and esp large multi tourneys i realized how much math(probability and statistics ) were involved in the long term strategy and short term decison making of the game and how exciting it was..i think this excitement/energy can either be helpful or harmful depending on the individual's ability to be focused and disciplined...