To Smoke Or Not To Smoke While Playing?

I love how people who dont smoke post here like they know whats going on when your high. Im sure the same people (who dont smoke) drink at the table when they play so whats the difference. GET HIGH who gives a ****!
I love how you assume that everyone who says something negative about smoking has never done it themselves.I smoked it nearly every day for a year back when I was like 17-18, and I agree with others who have said that smoking it is for idiots. If you're a pothead I don't even want to hear your opinion because I already know it's going to be retarded.
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

playing high DOES make your game worse. there's no way around it. you take longer to make decisions, and while those decisions may be for the most part the same ones you'd otherwise make, they're not all the time. that one different choice could be a busting hand in a MTT or a 20 BB pot in a cash game, and those are painful.of course, for some players, that doesn't mean that s/he loses his/her edge at a table. that part varies from player to player. it just means that you're not as good as you would otherwise be, even if just a little. don't get me wrong--i've won many a tournament while high, but i won't be sitting down to play the PS million with a joint in my hand. those are for the little 5 dollar ones i do to pass the time.
I think its what your comfortable with. I usually play high so it shouldn't matter what stakes/tourney I am playing.
I love how you assume that everyone who says something negative about smoking has never done it themselves.I smoked it nearly every day for a year back when I was like 17-18, and I agree with others who have said that smoking it is for idiots. If you're a pothead I don't even want to hear your opinion because I already know it's going to be retarded.
That is some funny shite. Your a regular knowledge base.
Also, like any sort of drug, pot tends to effect everyone differently.
QFTSmoking pot sometimes calms my nerves when I am deep in a tournament, I just have to remind myself to slow down when I am in a big hand.
Sorry, but you're a dickhead.
QFT
Who are you ? Super-hero.jpgWho can say if it does or doesn't make you play better ? Pretty sure only the person smoking can say if it does or doesn't. Same goes for drinking. Men Nyguen becomes a machine when he's drunk....I dump a few dimes......Everyone is different...
Damn, that means Ari, Gank, and I aren't as good as we could be? Ha, I knew that was true in regards to me, but Ari??? If he stops smoking, we might as well give up. ;-)Even though I smoke more then some small countries, I can't refute that most people would be at a disadvantage if they did so. Then again, if that is what one is used to, I think it would probably adversely effect your game if you suddenly stopped, at least for a period of time until you became used to it.Also, like any sort of drug, pot tends to effect everyone differently. Some might become blubbering idiots, while others just become very mellow, and so on. Personally, I've always been able to perform a sole task (for sake of this discussion, one tournament) to the best of my abilities while 'high', but I feel like my abilities/concentration lessens if I add multiple tasks (in this case, multiple tables). As long I stay focused on a singular purpose however, I seem to do ok. That being said, drugs are bad. If you do drugs, you are bad. Please kids, stay in school and just say no. :-)
ha, hard for me to argue with you, of all people, pmj. :club: although i do agree that drugs affect different people in different ways, i still kinda find it hard to believe that the best online and live players are getting high before their big tournaments or cash games. are you saying that you, gank, and ari get high for the biggest tournaments you play? i'm not trying to be confrontational, but i do kinda doubt that. i'd be interested as to whether i'm wrong about that, though.and i'm really not knocking playing high, cuz i do it too, with pretty similar results to my "sober" play--just not at my normal limits or buyins.edit: i also think it's impossible to get any sort of consensus about something like this. for players that have a big problem relaxing or with tilting, i can see something like getting high helping them calm down. for me, i lose my edge at reads when i get stoned, so i can't compete in the later stages of larger tournaments. for the 5-30 dollar ones, it's usually fine for me to smoke, since pretty straight up play can get you really deep (as it were, man).
ha, hard for me to argue with you, of all people, pmj. :club: although i do agree that drugs affect different people in different ways, i still kinda find it hard to believe that the best online and live players are getting high before their big tournaments or cash games. are you saying that you, gank, and ari get high for the biggest tournaments you play? i'm not trying to be confrontational, but i do kinda doubt that. i'd be interested as to whether i'm wrong about that, though.and i'm really not knocking playing high, cuz i do it too, with pretty similar results to my "sober" play--just not at my normal limits or buyins.
Heh, a few months ago when Ari and I chopped a 100r, an impromptu argument broke out about who smokes more while we were waiting for support. He claimed to have smoked a few blunts during the tournament, I professed to having a bong in my lap the whole time. That might not be the 'norm', but not out of the ordinary by any means. :-)So, yes, I suppose some of us do. For live tournaments, obviously I'm not smoking very often, but then again, I usually have another source of stress relief in use.I think one must do whatever it takes to feel comfortable. If you are going to be an emotional wreck playing a tournament sober, then you are probably better off smoking a bit to calm your nerves. I suppose Mike Laing is a good example. Known for his drinking at the table, I've heard it said that he is an incredibly good tournament player when he has _just_ the right amount of booze in him. Too much and he gets reckless, and too little and he is quite ordinary. If he finds the happy-medium though, he is quite dangerous.Not the ideal way to play, or live your life even, but some people make it work to their benefit. I guess it all depends on the person. Some people in this thread have said they get impatient and play too many hands if they have been smoking; that is quite the opposite of my own habit, where as I will tend to be more patient if I have smoked, and more LAG if I am sober.
Heh, a few months ago when Ari and I chopped a 100r, an impromptu argument broke out about who smokes more while we were waiting for support. He claimed to have smoked a few blunts during the tournament, I professed to having a bong in my lap the whole time. That might not be the 'norm', but not out of the ordinary by any means. :-)So, yes, I suppose some of us do. For live tournaments, obviously I'm not smoking very often, but then again, I usually have another source of stress relief in use.I think one must do whatever it takes to feel comfortable. If you are going to be an emotional wreck playing a tournament sober, then you are probably better off smoking a bit to calm your nerves. I suppose Mike Laing is a good example. Known for his drinking at the table, I've heard it said that he is an incredibly good tournament player when he has _just_ the right amount of booze in him. Too much and he gets reckless, and too little and he is quite ordinary. If he finds the happy-medium though, he is quite dangerous.Not the ideal way to play, or live your life even, but some people make it work to their benefit. I guess it all depends on the person. Some people in this thread have said they get impatient and play too many hands if they have been smoking; that is quite the opposite of my own habit, where as I will tend to be more patient if I have smoked, and more LAG if I am sober.
Guilty.

I watched the movie "The Weather Man" while high this weekend. Laughed my *** off. "I just got hit by a Frosty..."Anyway, it's obvious you can have success either way. As a test, I am going to get absolutely ripped prior to the Neg-O tonight and see how I do...

I don't get how smoking can help your play. My advice is don't do it, but what do I know?

Coming from the guy with Mike Matusow as his avatar....
Snorting helps though.
mike laing told me exactly what you said about getting into a zone with the right amount of drink. he said that others would try and get him off his game by constantly ordering him more drinks. but, he's off the sauce now so let's see how he does.i have a good friend that won a wsop circuit ring while getting stoned in his car during every break of the final table. and he only got to the final table after a night of shrooming.drugs and pot do different things to different people.
mike laing told me exactly what you said about getting into a zone with the right amount of drink. he said that others would try and get him off his game by constantly ordering him more drinks. but, he's off the sauce now so let's see how he does.i have a good friend that won a wsop circuit ring while getting stoned in his car during every break of the final table. and he only got to the final table after a night of shrooming.drugs and pot do different things to different people.
Doug Le? Pot and drugs definately do not mix.

I could probably play a single table pretty well while high, but definitely not 4+. It's easier to focus in on something when high, but it's definitely limited.Also, lol at the person who suggested to play while on Salvia. You'll be lucky to actually know what you are doing and what's going on when you play.

"I don't know about you pot smokers... but I don't do drugs. Just marijuana"POTHEAD.BTW, I think the affects of mary jane that might help poker players is the calming affect it may have on them.

Is pot just a minor vilation in vegas? We are heading out for the series and ufc fight the week of the 6th, and we have been disscussing finding something that may match our sweet ky's finest. Anyway our buddy says its like a traffic ticket to get caught with personal use weed in vegas. Any truth to this?

Is pot just a minor vilation in vegas? We are heading out for the series and ufc fight the week of the 6th, and we have been disscussing finding something that may match our sweet ky's finest. Anyway our buddy says its like a traffic ticket to get caught with personal use weed in vegas. Any truth to this?
In general, pot you are going to find in Vegas will be leaps and bounds ahead of something you are going to find in Kentucky. And in turn, people in Northern California/BC/etc will scoff at what you would find in Vegas. But I digress... :-)There used to be a zero tolerance policy in Nevada, meaning any amount resulted in a felony. In recent years however, they adapted similar laws to California I believe, where anything less then an ounce/28 grams, is a misdemeanor. Anything over that amount is still classified as a felony though I believe.