Rebuy + Add-on Tournies

I played two low buy-in rebuy tourneys this weekend, one a satellite for the Stars $1M, and one a satellite for a WSOP satellite. In both tournaments, the play was astoundingly poor. People were pushing and calling all-ins with garbage, just hoping to double up. Patience was non-existant. In both cases, I had to rebuy once after getting sucked out on by a 3- and a 2- outer, but otherwise spent nothing more on the tournies (my chipstacks were large enough that the add-on during the break was pointless). I had ammassed a sizeable chip count just by calling all-ins with AA, KK, or (when flops happened) flopped monsters.I this standard for before the first break in the nut-job rebuys? Just sit tight, sit tight, sit tight, double up (or rebuy if KK loses to A2o), rinse, lather, repeat? It seems too easy.

There are two basic philosophies with rebuy/add-on tourneys - sit tight like you have asked about, or get in there and mix it up with various holdings, looking for the big score. If you don't mind having to rebuy 5-10 times, then by all means get in there and mix it up with good implied-odds hands (suited-connectors, small pairs, etc.)

For the Satellite tourneys, I don't really like the max rebuy strategy as the price pool is flat since 1st and whatever the last postion is all get paid the same. For these types of rebuy tourneys, tighter is better.For the rebuy tourneys for the regular MTTs though, that's a different story as you're aiming for the final table and the top spots which pay out huge. In those rebuy tourneys, amassing a huge stack early gives you more weapons with a much greater reward - rebuying often and being hyper-aggressive during the early going is an excellent strategy.