Besides Being Howard Lederers Sister, What Has Annie Duke Done?

I don't neccecarily dislike Annie Duke, but she's probably the most well known female poker player in the world. I'm not saying she's the best, but probably the most recognized among poker fans. I know she has one bracelet, which is defenitly an accomplishment, but how has she become so famous and well known as a serious poker player? The $2 million 1 table sng was an accomplishment, and as good the other players were, there were only 9 people to beat, yet she's always shown on TV as one of the best female players in the world. Am I the only one who doesn't understand it?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only other major well known feat I know of is her going deep in the 00 or 01 Main Event (like 10th or 11th place) while like 9 months pregnant.Other than that, you got me.

1. She's Howard's Sister2. She's a woman3. Occasionally she throws a Hellmuth like snit usually about table etiquette4. Before all the Hollywood chicks started playing she was sort of "poker' hot

It's time for "Steve Wonders".Tonight, Steve wonders why the people who ask inane questions about professional Poker player _____________ CANNOT SPELL TO SAVE THEIR LIVES. I've noticed this trend increasingly since I started lurking here, and it consumes me with rage. Okay, maybe not rage, but a strong curiosity rises from me.So please tell me why this happens. Thank you.FOCUS: She was also Ben Affleck's poker coach, so that should tell you something.

It's time for "Steve Wonders".Tonight, Steve wonders why the people who ask inane questions about professional Poker player _____________ CANNOT SPELL TO SAVE THEIR LIVES. I've noticed this trend increasingly since I started lurking here, and it consumes me with rage. Okay, maybe not rage, but a strong curiosity rises from me.So please tell me why this happens. Thank you.FOCUS: She was also Ben Affleck's poker coach, so that should tell you something.
that she was the one who liked pearl harbor?
FOCUS: She was also Ben Affleck's poker coach, so that should tell you something.
don't learn from ben affleck?
ok, name the top 3 woman poker players in the world in your opinion, and give me their accomplishments.
1. Jennifer Harman. Accomplishment: It's Jennifer Freaking Harman. Plays in the big game regularly.2. Liz Lieu. Accomplishment: Beat Erik123 in a series of three $20k heads up LHE matches. 3. Susie Isaacs: Winner of back-to-back Women's 7-Card Stud WSOP Events.Should I keep going?
1. Jen2. Kathy3. Annie4. too distant to mention
What about Cyndy Violette? She has had some fairly good tourney results, plus she has tig bittiesalso, Jennifer Tilly has had impressive results recentlyI just dont see how annie was voted to be one of the top 10 players in the world in 2004. that is how they qualified for the 2004 TOC right? thats insane that she is picked over guys like Ted Forrest, Barry Greenstein, and others. If you want to pick a woman just for sake of picking a woman, at least pick Jennifer Harman.
I don't neccecarily dislike Annie Duke, but she's probably the most well known female poker player in the world. I'm not saying she's the best, but probably the most recognized among poker fans. I know she has one bracelet, which is defenitly an accomplishment, but how has she become so famous and well known as a serious poker player? The $2 million 1 table sng was an accomplishment, and as good the other players were, there were only 9 people to beat, yet she's always shown on TV as one of the best female players in the world. Am I the only one who doesn't understand it?
She won the Tournament of Champions year before last if I remember correctly...beating Phil Hellmuth.

In addition to her tournament successes, she was also a successful high-limit cash game player for years before semi-retiring into the business side of poker. She's played as high as $1K-$2K from what I've heard (though she had a rough go of it on that level from stories -- struggles she attributes to playing when she was pregnant and not physically up to snuff) and played successfully at very high levels below that ($300-$600 and up). She didn't come up with the bankroll to do that by being a fashion model or from an inheritance. She can play and I dare say has played much higher (and with considerable success) than anyone on this forum other than Daniel. Also to her credit is that fact that she was considered a very good player in a variety of games -- not just as a hold 'em wizard like Liz Lieu and some others. She's widely thought of as one of the top O8B players in the world.Once again, we see that many people confuse major tournament success (or lack thereof) with street cred as a poker player. When people like Barry Greenstein respect your all-around poker game (including side games), it's probably a pretty safe bet that you aren't just getting props for nothing.She seems like a whiny, arrogant, annoying git of a person, so I definitely understand people wanting to knock her down a peg or two. But I don't think anyone here should confuse her lack of likability with a lack of talent.

oh i don't know ... some poeple like to argue that she won the TOC.. thats just my guess, i don't particualarly like her... but im drunk...horray beer.

Kathy Leibert is ugly. Annie Duke is ugly. Clonie Gowen is Skeletor. Jennifer Harmon is hot. Cyndi Violette is hot. Jennifer Tilly looks great topless.
Lmao.. I love how they are all talking about the accomplishments and you come out of left field with this. Caught me off guard.