Update On My Poker Students

I just finished my sophomore year at Princeton, so take my advice for what it's worth, which is probably not very much. If you're interested in poker, MAJOR IN ECON. First of all, it's a sweet field that can lead to any sort of career, a lot of which do pretty well money wise. Secondly, econ is all about rational choice, so is poker. Third of all, you can usually find some way to involve poker and gambling in your independent work. Just my 2 cents, for that is all my opinion is worth.erac
Thats awesome advice, I am actually considering majoring in Economics for the past few months as I am about to go to college in the fall. I too have noticed the many similarities between the two and really like the ability of wide range of traits that economics has to offer(investing, managing, stock market, own boss).
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trust me...if u are considering majoring in Econ, don't....i am a year removed from Loyola University Chicago w/ a dual degree in Econ & Math and am yet to find a job...the market is hot for accounting grads right now so jump on that bandwagon if you must...boo to me for not sticking with a solid major... :club:

I have a degree in econ. You can see the connections between the course content and poker, but it really wont help you.Upper year econs become really boring and (at least for the core courses) are not at all applicable to any job that you'll ever get. And all of the good jobs in the fields you'd expect econ to be applicable for are given first to acti sci or math majors, since everything of value that we learn in econ, they learn with greater rigor.I'd recommend doing a minor in econ if you're unsure.

I'm just still mad because my secret decoder ring was broken when I got it.
Clearly it wasn't a genuine secret decoder ring...They are unbreakable - even to the powers of evil!

If you are considering econ take a real hard look at finance. most big / public companies get young guys with finance degrees, plan on getting MBA for sure, slot several for "fast tracking" and see which ones have the goods to make it. in several years if you produce you will typically get and opportunity to GM or controler a smallish type division in the company...and so it goes. i would ball park it is going to be about 15 years or so hit "upper management" keep in mind that in corporate 40 is considered young and just about ready...

Dang, this is like that survey company that keeps calling me and telling me I didn't qualify. I'll guess it's a combo of my age, BR and lack of proximity to California. Oh, well...one day I will FT a WPT or WSOP event and I'll be able to say I did it all by myself. GL to the students, though, and kudos to Steve for being such a cool guy.

damn, i love making final tables :club: wish i was one of them!good to hear the success steve, i hope they keep making those fts and tearing up the cash games.is RyanSD one of them? hes been making ALOT of fts lately.

I have a degree in econ. You can see the connections between the course content and poker, but it really wont help you.Upper year econs become really boring and (at least for the core courses) are not at all applicable to any job that you'll ever get. And all of the good jobs in the fields you'd expect econ to be applicable for are given first to acti sci or math majors, since everything of value that we learn in econ, they learn with greater rigor.I'd recommend doing a minor in econ if you're unsure.
I also have a degree in Econ from UC Santa Barbara. Econ is just a basic foundation in liberal arts and business. Have never used any of the econometric tools in my professional life, but truly understanding supply and demand has many uses in life. If only more people understood supply and demand, we wouldn't have these whiners about $3 gas and calling Exxon/Mobil crooks.
Thats awesome advice, I am actually considering majoring in Economics for the past few months as I am about to go to college in the fall. I too have noticed the many similarities between the two and really like the ability of wide range of traits that economics has to offer(investing, managing, stock market, own boss).
as someone said, econ is relatable to poker in terms of "rational choice" and in other aspects, like expected value decisions.i don't think the two are relatable enough though that economics will actually help your poker game much. game theory however is an important part of advanced economics and arguably it is highly relatable to poker.also i'm surprised more people haven't mentioned my name as one of steve's students. i've already discussed how i'm taking poker more seriously, and maybe of you have seen the nude photos of myself that, if sent to steve, would undoubtedly have guaranteed me a spot as one of his "students."
  • 4 weeks later...

BUMP for WSOP.Steve, Are your students entering any WSOP events? Only ME, or preliminary events as well.Any updates on their/your progress and successes would be great.Yergan

BUMP for WSOP.Steve, Are your students entering any WSOP events? Only ME, or preliminary events as well.Any updates on their/your progress and successes would be great.Yergan
Great question. Unfortunately I don't want to go into a ton of details. We'll have to wait and see. Sorry for being vague. My students are doing truly phenomonal.
Steve, what have you achieved in your career in terms of tournament and cash winnings? I'm sure your claim to fame is not only Partypokersux.
I turned pro and made millions way before it was cool, lol. I don't know, I'm not a super star. Occassionally a newer member to the forum will ask a question like that. In all honesty, I'm just someone who has been playing for close to a decade and I've been pretty successful at it. For more info do a search on some of my threads, etc.

Steve was nice enough to PM me back and I thinkhe turned me down for the same reasons Zimmer and Grinder were turned down. I hope to become better through my colllege years and if I am still undecided on what I want to do, I may try to go pro for a year or so and see how it goes.Thats still a long time away....

Steve was nice enough to PM me back and I thinkhe turned me down for the same reasons Zimmer and Grinder were turned down. I hope to become better through my colllege years and if I am still undecided on what I want to do, I may try to go pro for a year or so and see how it goes.Thats still a long time away....
No no, we just suck