Update On My Poker Students

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that you're in roughly the same age range as I am (I think you're a bit older, but we're both still graduating high school this year). Basically what Steve told me is that he subscribes more to the Barry Greenstein school of thought that you should square everything away with education and life until you're 21, then turn to poker. I would probably do this if not for online poker, and I think I have to play while I can, because with some of this legislation looming, I don't know how much longer we'll be able to play online. I respect Steve's decision and understand why he would opt not to mentor me.
<--23<--College graduate<--Lots of free timewhat gives? :club:
I know that you're in roughly the same age range as I am (I think you're a bit older, but we're both still graduating high school this year). Basically what Steve told me is that he subscribes more to the Barry Greenstein school of thought that you should square everything away with education and life until you're 21, then turn to poker. I would probably do this if not for online poker, and I think I have to play while I can, because with some of this legislation looming, I don't know how much longer we'll be able to play online. I respect Steve's decision and understand why he would opt not to mentor me.
Well ****, maybe that's why he didn't pick you, I'm fairly sure he didn't pick me simply because I suck :club: . Anyways, I think I'm only 1 year older than you, I'm 18, and I thought you were 17. Ya this online poker stuff is kinda gay, but if so then I will move on and find a new hobby. I'm not good enough to warrant playing a ton of live play and trying to make a career of it one day.
Well ****, maybe that's why he didn't pick you, I'm fairly sure he didn't pick me simply because I suck :club: . Anyways, I think I'm only 1 year older than you, I'm 18, and I thought you were 17. Ya this online poker stuff is kinda gay, but if so then I will move on and find a new hobby. I'm not good enough to warrant playing a ton of live play and trying to make a career of it one day.
Eh, it's possible you could make a career out of it, a lot of it has to do with how committed you want to be. As for me, I want to make a career out of this, but have every intention of finishing college just incase poker doesn't work out for me.
Eh, it's possible you could make a career out of it, a lot of it has to do with how committed you want to be. As for me, I want to make a career out of this, but have every intention of finishing college just incase poker doesn't work out for me.
I'm saying this kinda tongue in cheek like...but sure.Most college freshman change their "major" a few times...seems poker is your major right now, so based on odds you may be changing that notion eventually.;)but seriously good luck with whatever you chose to end up doing...college will be a good experience and will change a lot of different things in your life.- Jordan
College is really only a good fallback plan if you major in something that matters. Otherwise you could very easily find yourself working for 9-10 bucks an hour. Major in business or something if you want your college degree to be a worthwhile fallback plan.
College is really only a good fallback plan if you major in something that matters. Otherwise you could very easily find yourself working for 9-10 bucks an hour. Major in business or something if you want your college degree to be a worthwhile fallback plan.
agreed. and dont major in poly sci unless you plan on going to grad school.

Did anyone else NOT picked ever get a response from Steve?I was begging him to help me turn the final corner to pro-dom, but to no avail.(Note to self...never beg again)I'm only 4 years away froma lifetime sweet pension. The goal was to get good enough to play semi pro after that. Perhaps he'll pick 3 more down the road?GL to all. :club:

Did anyone else NOT picked ever get a response from Steve?I was begging him to help me turn the final corner to pro-dom, but to no avail.(Note to self...never beg again)GL to all. :club:
Hulk Hogan never responded to your fan mail when you were 9 either.I'm sorry.For you.LOL
agreed. and dont major in poly sci unless you plan on going to grad school.
Right, I went to law school for a while with my poli sci degree, but when I decided it wasn't really for me I found out that I was pretty much SOL in the job market.
Scratch the doughboy off of the list, checky and pogue do seem likely candidates though
Hmmm..then I'll guess Xzanos as the 3rd studentProcess of elimination...
Can you discuss why you picked who you did? What stood out?
That I can do. I actually ended up picking 4 people. Two cash game players, and two tournament players. All four are fairly versatile in both catergories though. But, if I had to classify, it would be very easy to say that it was two of each.My reasoning behind picking the people that I did was based on the limits that they play, goals, age, experience, and willingness to learn. I was looking for players who had success in mid limit cash games or tournaments. My strenth is NOT teaching people fundamentals. My strenth is taking a winning player and "trying" to set them on the path to championship level. Whether it be in cash games or in tournaments.I did respond to some of the ealier pm's, but then I just felt like I was going back and forth with people. And as a result I was falling behind in reading new messages. I can assure you that if you sent me a pm, I did read it.There were honestly, probably about 40 people that I wanted to work with. But I had to make choices and I did. It wouldn't be fair to anyone if I took on too many students. That would be a lose-lose situation for all. Believe it or not, some of you that sent me pm's, I REALLY wanted to pick, and if I do this again, I would love to have the opportunity. That's it for now.
Right, I went to law school for a while with my poli sci degree, but when I decided it wasn't really for me I found out that I was pretty much SOL in the job market.
where did you end up working after all was said and done. i will be done with law school in december but i was just curious as to what you ended up doing with your poly sci degree.i guess i could of pmed this to you. but just pm me an answer if you would like so we dont have to hijack steves thread anymore

Thanks for the clarification, steve.I have an idea for something you could maybe try in your free time or after all this mentoring is over. Maybe once or twice a week you should host a live chat on an AIM chat room or something and kind of give a "conference" on a particular subject and take questions from everyone else. Each week can be a different area of study. Just a thought.

I'm just still mad because my secret decoder ring was broken when I got it.
ya well Charlie O'Brien responded to my Bar Mitzvah invitation (i still have it framed) wow that was sorta random eh
I just finished my sophomore year at Princeton, so take my advice for what it's worth, which is probably not very much. If you're interested in poker, MAJOR IN ECON. First of all, it's a sweet field that can lead to any sort of career, a lot of which do pretty well money wise. Secondly, econ is all about rational choice, so is poker. Third of all, you can usually find some way to involve poker and gambling in your independent work. Just my 2 cents, for that is all my opinion is worth.erac
I just finished my sophomore year at Princeton, so take my advice for what it's worth, which is probably not very much. If you're interested in poker, MAJOR IN ECON. First of all, it's a sweet field that can lead to any sort of career, a lot of which do pretty well money wise. Secondly, econ is all about rational choice, so is poker. Third of all, you can usually find some way to involve poker and gambling in your independent work. Just my 2 cents, for that is all my opinion is worth.erac
Sounds like good advice. Too bad I already graduated with my worthless Poli Sci degree. :club: