I'm really wondering how you define "professional poker player"I go to school and work a part time job, but I also make about $1,000 a week playing. Now, I'm a college student, who has a "real" job, but 95% of my income comes from playing poker.Anyone's thoughts on it?I'd love to start calling myself a professional. Hehe.

I'd say if most of your income fromes Poker you're a pro, regardless of how much that is.If you live at home and are 40 and make $2000 a year playing online and that's your only income, you're a pro.If you make $100,000,000 a year from your giant shipping conglomerate and make $1,000,000 a year playing poker you're not.Just my arbitrary standard. I'm not a pro using that one which helps me keep my ego from devouring the solar system.

Just my arbitrary standard. I'm not a pro using that one which helps me keep my ego from devouring the solar system....And you're a better, more humble person for it smash, most people like you because of it.

Just my arbitrary standard. I'm not a pro using that one which helps me keep my ego from devouring the solar system.Shouldn't the romance novels keep your ego at that level anyways?

I'd say if most of your income fromes Poker you're a pro, regardless of how much that is.
I'de feel dirty calling myself a pro. I make enough money to pay my bills and buy myself things, but I wouldn't concider myself a pro even if it meets those standards.
I'm really wondering how you define "professional poker player"I go to school and work a part time job, but I also make about $1,000 a week playing. Now, I'm a college student, who has a "real" job, but 95% of my income comes from playing poker.Anyone's thoughts on it?I'd love to start calling myself a professional. Hehe.
if ur job pays u $50 a week, i would consider u a bum more then a pro. just my thought on it.
if ur job pays u $50 a week, i would consider u a bum more then a pro. just my thought on it.
Didn't know you'd be so anal about the percentages. I make more than $50 @ my part time job but not much. Simply because I'm a college kid who took a job that most college kids take. I work at a grocery store for not much more than minimum wage, but I also work very limited hours a week, which is my choice due to the fact that I'm doing well in poker. I don't understand how that makes me a bum, but to each his own.

I make just under what the navy pays me per year playing poker. I do not consider myself a professional because as Smash said, it is not my main source of income. Along with that, I do not play it enough to qualify as a second job. Maybe a second part time job that pays well. But my Naval committments come first, and poker never interferes. Now, thats not to say that I don't think I coule play poker for a living someday. But, I really don't want to. I only played poker for a living when I was in college a little over 10 years ago. Its not something I want to do again. I am happy playing an average of 18-24 hours per week and making what I make. I have no delusions or hopes or dreams of ever being "the greatest," or writing a book or being on TV. Besides, I also lack some other pro requirements like a notebook or really lame nick name. The only thing I have going for me is that the Turningstone "pros" know me by name. :)Justin

Besides, I also lack some other pro requirements like a notebook or really lame nick name.
Start calling yourself sextant. You're in the navy, and it's more likely to make it past the cybercensors than seaman.
Besides, I also lack some other pro requirements like a notebook or really lame nick name.
Start calling yourself sextant. You're in the navy, and it's more likely to make it past the cybercensors than seaman.
ROFL good idea! Justin

I agree.My only income is cards. I play both online and live. ("home games")Although I do well (i make 50% more than my wife at her 9-5) I still would not consider myself a pro. grinder? maybe.

I agree.My only income is cards. I play both online and live. ("home games")Although I do well (i make 50% more than my wife at her 9-5) I still would not consider myself a pro. grinder? maybe.
Wow, i'd like to play in that home game! That has to be like the poker superstars invitational of home games. haha I don't doubt you, just a little jealous i guess :wink:

you'd be surprised. obviously in NC there are no rooms (yet). so there are PLEANTY of home games. and they're nice.For Example, in the friday game I play we have a realestate developer (filthy) and a dentist (owns TWO offices) there every week. the developer is absolutely clueless. we play dealers choice and if its not hold em' he' screwed. but calls anyway. the dentist sees EVERY flop. regardless if betting capps or not. It makes him feel good when he hits the long shot... ie. flops a double gutshot straight. They're so rich though they could care less. Last week when I walked in the developer cracked, "uh oh, I guess I'm paying your mortgage agin this week".... he did.But they don't care! Its worth the $ just to sit around and talk about women, their porsche's ect. I just smile agree and rake.

Didn't know you'd be so anal about the percentages. I make more than $50 @ my part time job but not much. Simply because I'm a college kid who took a job that most college kids take. I work at a grocery store for not much more than minimum wage, but I also work very limited hours a week, which is my choice due to the fact that I'm doing well in poker. I don't understand how that makes me a bum, but to each his own.
obvioulsy you haven't seen too many of hotdog's posts, he likes to fuck with people. Chill out, it was funny :D

I would say I'm far from being a pro but, I do pretty well. In the last year I've averaged around 6-8k (300% more than my "real job") per month. I play 2/5 NL cash game in a couple of places around town and sometimes crusie down to Denver. I hardly ever play online unless I'm bored - which is a mistake.Right now I'm trying to average 3k a week and I'm a little behind but, hoping that will change. So I'm not pro but, I'm working on it. Hope that helps.

if your only icnome comes from playing cards then last summer i was a pro thats funny, me a pro :!:
your avatar picture must go
Is that a dude in the pic?!?!
Thats what it looks like to me. A chicks pooper on a dude with his wee-wee whited out. I said before and I repeat again .. "your avatar picture must go"