Why Is God So Cruel?

i don't necessarily think we are god. i was just citing other crazy-sounding ideas some people belive, such as "god" is everything in the universe and as (apparently) cognizant/moralistic-trending beings we are the highest part of god - or at least evolving morally to be. there isn't necessarily a supreme intelligence, just a collective whole beyond ourselves that we are part of - which is why we experience the connection with nature that you associate with a higher power. these ideas sort of have their basis more in eastern religions.
O my bad I thought you believed that view.
agnosticism is simply about the worldview that nothing can be known with certainty, so there is no point to fundamental theism of any kind (or for that matter to strong atheism). in other words it's an anti-faith viewpoint.
so you basically only believe in what you can physically see, touch, taste, or feel. or is it to the point that you question everything. or is it just toward religion and not an overall philosophy. now i'm not asking what "agnostics" believe I am asking what you believe. Just like how not all "Christians" think the same I'm sure not all agnostics think the same. I could be wrong on this though.
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't necessarily think we are god. i was just citing other crazy-sounding ideas some people belive, such as "god" is everything in the universe and as (apparently) cognizant/moralistic-trending beings we are the highest part of god - or at least evolving morally to be. there isn't necessarily a supreme intelligence, just a collective whole beyond ourselves that we are part of - which is why we experience the connection with nature that you associate with a higher power. these ideas sort of have their basis more in eastern religions.
That sounds a less crazy than most other religions.
agnosticism is simply about the worldview that nothing can be known with certainty, so there is no point to fundamental theism of any kind (or for that matter to strong atheism). in other words it's an anti-faith viewpoint.
Theres the word I was looking for earlier!
It's an anti- faith, but a faith nonetheless- you just worship at a different altar of ideas.
It can't be a faith as I am still trying to figure it out exactly but as crow said before
So if nothing can be known for certain then you can actually never have faith in anything except what you can actually see and hold for yourself.Is that the right way to think of it.
It's an anti- faith, but a faith nonetheless- you just worship at a different altar of ideas.
I think it's pretty hard to have a civil discourse with someone who assumes that people who don't belive in god are on "satan's side" as you said earlier. You claim to just want a good-hearted debate, and then resort to describing people in this evil context.If you want to discuss the ideas, stick to that, and not your judgement of others.
I think it's pretty hard to have a civil discourse with someone who assumes that people who don't belive in god are on "satan's side" as you said earlier. You claim to just want a good-hearted debate, and then resort to describing people in this evil context.If you want to discuss the ideas, stick to that, and not your judgement of others.
That would be an easy assumption to make- when it comes to christianity you are either on Satans side(aka everybody else) or God's. That is probably the most simple concept that the bible presents. If one doesn't believe in God, then that statement would not effect them anyway, considering that they would not believe in the existence of evil as far as Satan is concerned. I have no idea who you are but if I hurt your feelings somehow I apologize.
That would be an easy assumption to make- when it comes to christianity you are either on Satans side(aka everybody else) or God's. That is probably the most simple concept that the bible presents. If one doesn't believe in God, then that statement would not effect them anyway, considering that they would not believe in the existence of evil as far as Satan is concerned. I have no idea who you are but if I hurt your feelings somehow I apologize.
Don't worry, it's an internet forum. And generally I find your arguments well thought out. I just thought this was a little harsh, and didn't forward the debate.