Ted Nolan Back In The Show?

So, if Moncton wins the Mem Cup.... does Nolan deserve another shot in the NHL? Not will he GET one... that's a different matter....

So, if Moncton wins the Mem Cup.... does Nolan deserve another shot in the NHL? Not will he GET one... that's a different matter....
For some reason Ted Nolan has been blacklisted from the NHL..he will never get another shot
For some reason Ted Nolan has been blacklisted from the NHL..he will never get another shot
I don't really understand that whole thing, if a coach can help your club then why would every GM in the league continue to allign themselves against him? Nolan knows how to win hockey games, something a lot of NHL teams could desperately use. I don't know the whole story, but he's certainly not the first coach who didn't get along with upper management or every single player on his bench. It's just stupid, IMO. Someone will eventually pick him up, you can't ignore the fact that he's an excellent hockey coach forever.
Excellent job of reading the question...... :club:

Based on coaching abilty, Moncton does not need to win the Memorial Cup for Ted Nolan to deserve another shot. However, he committed a fatal mistake in trying to get Muckler fired and the "old boys club" has a long memory so deserving and getting may never be as far apart as they are in this case.

Based on coaching abilty, Moncton does not need to win the Memorial Cup for Ted Nolan to deserve another shot. However, he committed a fatal mistake in trying to get Muckler fired and the "old boys club" has a long memory so deserving and getting may never be as far apart as they are in this case.
True, but slowly and surely the "old boys club" is being phased out of the game. GM's are getting younger and younger, and owners only care about one thing: Winning hockey games. I'd be very surprised if Nolan isn't hired as a bench boss within the next couple of years, he just brings too much ability to the table to be ignored.

To me the big issue here is that he used the race card to try and land himself an NHL job, as he obviously wants one. The race card is a serious shot at the NHL, and as an owner, I don't know if I'd want to hire someone who is willing to damage the credibility of the league to further his career. Especially as there is no conclusive proof that race is/was the issue.If he knew he was getting screwed because of his race I can see there being an issue, but without proof I think you have to keep your mouth shut.

Hey,Yes Nolan deserves another shot. He is a former NHL coach of the yerar let's not forget,beyond what he has done in Moncton. However, when he was in the NHL he showed GM's and Owner's that Ted Nolan looked out for Ted Nolan first and formost. While I can't blame anyone for that, you have to learn the politics and how to play the game, GM's are getting younger but owners and upper management aren't. The fear with Ted is that the minute you have an issue with him he is going to go running to the media with all kinds of allegations and complaints, that all "internal" conflicts from the dressing room to the boardroom are going to end up on Sportscentre and the front of the sports pages. No team wants that kind of drama no matter how deserving he is or how good of a coach he is. I think Ted would like to be back in the NHL to show he could do it again but I think everyone (including Ted Nolan) is likely to be happier if Ted Nolan is coaching in the minors where he is more likely to be left alone to do things "his way".My 2.5 cents.Bear

If Ted Nolan were the Evgeni Malkin (the best not in the NHL for those who may be drinking) of the coaching world then he would probably get an NHL coaching job very soon. The fact of the matter is there are many coaches who would/could do an excellent job at the NHL level if given the chance sans the baggage.

he's deserved a shot the second he was gone from buffalo. doesnt matter if they win or lose here.
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the most interesting part of Nolan getting hired on the Island is the fact that the owner hired him directly, not the GM. Owners only care about winning, and Wang obviously took one look at Nolan's track record and said "that's the guy for me". I wonder if Neil Smith would have even considered it, had he been asked. In other news, Pat LaFontaine's title in the Isles organization is Senior Adviser to the Owner. I need that job for Golisano and the Sabres.