San Jose Loses Cool Points

A radio station in Edmonton will be at the game handing out flyers with the lyrics to the Star Spangled Banner. I expect the Oiler fans will be singing along.
Really? Sweet. I didn't hear that. I think the message has been reiterated enough over the past few days.
Really? Sweet. I didn't hear that. I think the message has been reiterated enough over the past few days.
I think I heard it was Sonic 102.9.
Oiler fans cheered loud and long for the US national anthem. Good on them!
Here Here.Mind you with all the publicity this whole thing has been getting, how could they not? Everyone in the media, even our mayor were begging people to not boo the anthem. It was everywhere.Hopefully, this is the start of something new.I heard an interview with the anthem singer after the game, and he said he couldn't even hear himself during the US anthem! He said it was the loudest he's ever heard it in the 25 years he has been singing the anthem.
Here Here.Mind you with all the publicity this whole thing has been getting, how could they not? Everyone in the media, even our mayor were begging people to not boo the anthem. It was everywhere.Hopefully, this is the start of something new.I heard an interview with the anthem singer after the game, and he said he couldn't even hear himself during the US anthem! He said it was the loudest he's ever heard it in the 25 years he has been singing the anthem.
Don't you think that cheering through the Anthem is almost as disrepectful as booing? Silent observation or singing along are about the only acceptable things, IMO. If only they would just drop the puck and forget about having the Anthem at all.
Don't you think that cheering through the Anthem is almost as disrepectful as booing? Silent observation or singing along are about the only acceptable things, IMO. If only they would just drop the puck and forget about having the Anthem at all.
No not really. Its a sign of respect. The fans in Edmonton have been blowing the roof off during the Canadian national anthem all playoffs. Its a sign of love and respect for ones country.I did agree with you (yesterday) about maybe getting rid of the anthems, however, Jay Onrait had a good editorial on TSN's website this morning....http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/jay_onrait.aspIn particular:"All of this ridiculousness has, incredibly, sparked a debate about the relevance of anthems in modern pro sports. Look, if standing up and removing your hat for six minutes is too much for you, tell it to the family of Capt. Nichola Goddard, the Canadian soldier who was killed on Wednesday battling Taliban forces in Afghanistan while you and I were deciding whether to eat chips or nachos while watching the game. If singing my anthem (poorly) is all I am asked to do to acknowledge the men and women who actually put their lives on their line for my country everyday, I don't really think it's too much to ask. "Its hard to disagree with this.
No not really. Its a sign of respect. The fans in Edmonton have been blowing the roof off during the Canadian national anthem all playoffs. Its a sign of love and respect for ones country.I did agree with you (yesterday) about maybe getting rid of the anthems, however, Jay Onrait had a good editorial on TSN's website this morning....http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/jay_onrait.aspIn particular:"All of this ridiculousness has, incredibly, sparked a debate about the relevance of anthems in modern pro sports. Look, if standing up and removing your hat for six minutes is too much for you, tell it to the family of Capt. Nichola Goddard, the Canadian soldier who was killed on Wednesday battling Taliban forces in Afghanistan while you and I were deciding whether to eat chips or nachos while watching the game. If singing my anthem (poorly) is all I am asked to do to acknowledge the men and women who actually put their lives on their line for my country everyday, I don't really think it's too much to ask. "Its hard to disagree with this.
Why not play the anthem while I'm in line at the bank or when I'm renewing my license? I'm much more contemplative there than I would be surrounded by 15,000 + waiting for an NHL playoff game to start.Bringing up the name of a soldier killed in the line of duty as support for playing the anthem is ridiculous. I don't need to go to church to pray and I most certainly don't need to hear the national anthem before a hockey game to have an appreciation for what the soldiers have done and continue to do. -30-
Bringing up the name of a soldier killed in the line of duty as support for playing the anthem is ridiculous. -30-
Ah, yes, emotional warfare at its finest. That's an old liberal trick.I'm surprised Edmonton made such a big deal about not booing our national anthem, but I guess if I was mayor of Edmonton I wouldn't want my team's fans to look like aholes and possibly be called the Canadian Philadelphia. Thank you Edmonton for single-handedly making Canada the US's new, most favorite neighbor. Back of the bus, Mexico, back of the bus.
Ah, yes, emotional warfare at its finest. That's an old liberal trick.I'm surprised Edmonton made such a big deal about not booing our national anthem, but I guess if I was mayor of Edmonton I wouldn't want my team's fans to look like aholes and possibly be called the Canadian Philadelphia. Thank you Edmonton for single-handedly making Canada the US's new, most favorite neighbor. Back of the bus, Mexico, back of the bus.
OK, this made me laugh. Nicely done. lol.

What, exactly, does singing the national anthem of the United States at a hockey game in Canada have to do with acknowledging or supporting the troops. How, in any way, does it assuage the pain or seriousness of Cpt. Goddard's death or the other deaths from the mission in Afghanistan? Such jingoistic nonsense should be exposed for the sophism it is. Imagine that you're in Kandahar. You've just lost an officer to hostile gunfire. Deaths are becoming more common in this mission, as it has had a more active combat role than any peacekeeping mission in recent history. Morale is good, though, because the fans in Edmonton cheered the US National Anthem last night. Ignoratio Elenchi

What, exactly, does singing the national anthem of the United States at a hockey game in Canada have to do with acknowledging or supporting the troops. How, in any way, does it assuage the pain or seriousness of Cpt. Goddard's death or the other deaths from the mission in Afghanistan? Such jingoistic nonsense should be exposed for the sophism it is. Imagine that you're in Kandahar. You've just lost an officer to hostile gunfire. Deaths are becoming more common in this mission, as it has had a more active combat role than any peacekeeping mission in recent history. Morale is good, though, because the fans in Edmonton cheered the US National Anthem last night. Ignoratio Elenchi
Its just showing respect to one's country. Thats all.Obviously, its showing respect to the country where the team is situated. This begs the question now, since all pro sports are becoming an international game, with international players, why only sing the canadian and american anthems? Surely, we arent going to sing the russian, Czech, Sweedish, etc... anthems as well?That, IMO, is where it starts to get a little mundane. Im not taking one side or the other, I just think we need to realize why we started doing it in the first place.
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry if I'm rehashing an old thread or repeating anything already said but since I'm a Sharks fan I just wanted to address it since I had to see the wave of comments all over from Canadians who were playing judge, jury, and executioner. There was some story I heard that said the boos were retaliatory over boos that fans heard or thought they heard from the Edmontonians during the Star Spangled Banner, which I admit I thought I heard as well, but never condone the booing of an anthem. As much as some fans would like to assume Americans are ignorant and disrepectful I've been to games against Canadian teams at the Shark Tank this season where Oh Canada was cheered loudly and if you get a feed where you hear the anthems before the game you'd probably hear a loud, "1-2-3 EVERYBODY" before a large loud portion of the crowd sings along with it. This anthem thing is such a media gimmick. Hell an Edmonton newspaper had an insulting article that listed something like two dozen reasons to hate San Jose after Game 1. This will happen again in the future playoffs when a Canadian and American team face and it'll start all over again. Snooze.