I know I talk alot of shit about alot of entertainment, so this may seem strange. But I think the Wire is the greatest drama in the history of televison, hands down. Better than the Sopranos, better than Deadwood, better than any other drama I can think of ( except for maybe season 1 of twin peaks.. I'm not sure if that's a drama.. I'm not sure what it is, really). What makes the wire so great, is that it's completely contemporary. It's completely shrugged off all older drama's TV show's conception of good characters, and bad characters. The evil is the system. All the systems.... the buacracy, the social pressures, the static power of where you came from. The cops and drug dealers aren't really battling each other, they are battling the system and their status in life. They are trying ( and mostly failing) To become more than what the system they are in want them to be. Every drug dealer that tries to get out, tries to become more fails. Every cop that tries to do his job is twarted by the politics of the job. It's an absolutely fascinating show, and the only crime drama I've ever seen that comes close to describing what "fighting" crime is truly like.. that describes the true problems that lie in the drug war. And not only that, but the charcters are absolutely gripping. Amazing characters, and amazing show. If anyone out there is still on the fence about jumping into a new drama, I really encourage you to go out and rent/buy/steal season one. Give it a couple episodes, like jadaki said, it takes a while to really get a grip on what the show is really about. But, man.. this show is like no other cop show ever made, really like no other show ever maid. HBO keeps knocking out the hits.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I talk alot of shit about alot of entertainment, so this may seem strange. But I think the Wire is the greatest drama in the history of televison, hands down. Better than the Sopranos, better than Deadwood, better than any other drama I can think of ( except for maybe season 1 of twin peaks.. I'm not sure if that's a drama.. I'm not sure what it is, really). What makes the wire so great, is that it's completely contemporary. It's completely shrugged off all older drama's TV show's conception of good characters, and bad characters. The evil is the system. All the systems.... the buacracy, the social pressures, the static power of where you came from. The cops and drug dealers aren't really battling each other, they are battling the system and their status in life. They are trying ( and mostly failing) To become more than what the system they are in want them to be. Every drug dealer that tries to get out, tries to become more fails. Every cop that tries to do his job is twarted by the politics of the job. It's an absolutely fascinating show, and the only crime drama I've ever seen that comes close to describing what "fighting" crime is truly like.. that describes the true problems that lie in the drug war. And not only that, but the charcters are absolutely gripping. Amazing characters, and amazing show. If anyone out there is still on the fence about jumping into a new drama, I really encourage you to go out and rent/buy/steal season one. Give it a couple episodes, like jadaki said, it takes a while to really get a grip on what the show is really about. But, man.. this show is like no other cop show ever made, really like no other show ever maid. HBO keeps knocking out the hits.
Exactly. The show is by far better than anything else in the HISTORY of television, except Sopranos, Deadwood, and the Shield, which are aall on teh same level. Every aspect of it is amazing.
Exactly. The show is by far better than anything else in the HISTORY of television, except Sopranos, Deadwood, and the Shield, which are aall on teh same level. Every aspect of it is amazing.
Have you seen season 4 yet?
I'd say season one of Sopranos and Deadwood were better, but not by much.
Its like choosing between Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Why do it? They are all amazing shows.
Season 4 of The Wire is the greatest season of any show I have ever seen, period.
I love to hear that. I havent seen it yet. December 4 the DvD comes out.
Its like choosing between Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Why do it? They are all amazing shows.
Deadwood had me hooked much faster, and Al Swearangen is still the badest mother fucker to ever be on the small screen.
Deadwood had me hooked much faster, and Al Swearangen is still the badest mother fucker to ever be on the small screen.
True. Deadwood had me from the opening scene. Just like The Sopranos. My "Wire" viewing was much different. I heard great things and wanted to check it out. So I watched the first episode of Season 2 on HBO On Demand a few months back and wasnt really drawn in. Then a few weeks ago I saw that season 1 was up on demand and I got into from the begining and was hooked. But it takes a few episodes to get into it, for sure. I think thats why it isnt as popular as Sopranos. But it is just as good.

The thing about the wire, is that it isn't as Iconic as the Sopranos or Deadwood. There's no one character that looms over the show. There are many likable ( and hatable) and interesting characters, but there's no one like Tony or Al. I don't really think that's a weakness. And it's not instantly recognizable as the Sopranos or Deadwood. When I first watched those shows, I KNEW I was watching something different. When you watch the wire, at first you think it's just another dumb cop show. IT takes a few episodes to see where it's going. I actually think that's part of the brilliance of the show. I never thought it would be possible for me to like a cop show, unless it was some Bad lieutenant type bad cop show. The wire isn't really a bad cop show.. sure, there are corrupt cops... but there are few "bad" cops, few "bad" guys.

About a year ago, I grabbed season one, watch one episode, and promptly deleted it, which I NEVER do; I gave even Burn Notice three episodes. I guess I'll give it another shot, since Mac built so much jizz with his Oz pitch.
Well, the show isn't Oz either. While the wire doesn't really have any good guys or any bad guys, OZ is like bad guys verses worse guys. I've never seen a show full of so many irredeemable characters, I love it. There was something about Oz's melodramatic style that kinda bugged me, and that's what kept it from being my very favorite of all time ,but it's in my top 5 for sure.
Well, the show isn't Oz either. While the wire doesn't really have any good guys or any bad guys, OZ is like bad guys verses worse guys. I've never seen a show full of so many irredeemable characters, I love it. There was something about Oz's melodramatic style that kinda bugged me, and that's what kept it from being my very favorite of all time ,but it's in my top 5 for sure.
I think you'd all ready made this clear; nothing about this show seems like it would resemble Oz. Oz is just the last show you sold me on.
I think you'd all ready made this clear; nothing about this show seems like it would resemble Oz. Oz is just the last show you sold me on.
I know, I just felt guilt for leaving off OZ on my listing of great drama's that the wire is better than, because it's an obvious choice.My top five is probably.Twin Peaksthe wireOzDeadwoodSopranos.
Have you seen season 4 yet?
Nope. Gonna get the DVD on the 4th o Decembre.
I know, I just felt guilt for leaving off OZ on my listing of great drama's that the wire is better than, because it's an obvious choice.My top five is probably.Twin Peaksthe wireOzDeadwoodSopranos.
My top five, in order would be:1a. The Sopranos1b. The Wire3. Deadwood4. The Shield.5. ?????????? Gonna check out OZ, but right now I cant think of anything that belongs here.
Nope. Gonna get the DVD on the 4th o Decembre.My top five, in order would be:1a. The Sopranos1b. The Wire3. Deadwood4. The Shield.5. ?????????? Gonna check out OZ, but right now I cant think of anything that belongs here.
Rome, maybe?
Rome, maybe?
Rome was so brilliant, it's sad we only got two seasons of it and the second one had to be rushed to wrap up the story.I'd rate Deadwood and Rome ahead of the Sopranos and Oz because both those shows in the last few seasons got either a little ridiculous or just bland. They both should have been one or two seasons shorter.
Rome was so brilliant, it's sad we only got two seasons of it and the second one had to be rushed to wrap up the story.I'd rate Deadwood and Rome ahead of the Sopranos and Oz because both those shows in the last few seasons got either a little ridiculous or just bland. They both should have been one or two seasons shorter.
Yeah, OZ and Sop went on too long. But I think deadwood's 3rd season was a let down also. I tend to rate shows by their peaks not their valleys. Seinfeld should have ended when Larry David stopped writing for it, the simpsons have gone on for about 10 too many years, but I still don't count that against them when rating their brilliance.
But I think deadwood's 3rd season was a let down also.
I enjoyed it but it wasn't as good as the first two, i think this had to do with Milch getting that stupid john from Cincinnati show off the ground, bastard. I'm glad that shit got canceled.
I enjoyed it but it wasn't as good as the first two, i think this had to do with Milch getting that stupid john from Cincinnati show off the ground, bastard. I'm glad that shit got canceled.
I think it had more to do with Al becoming a more clear cut good guy, and Heast as this larger than love, super-villain type character, a completely evil and unredeemable character. What made the show great was that Al was a very likable and sympathetica "bad" guy. There was nothing likable or sympathetic about Hearst, he was more like a force of nature or something. Very disappointing 3rd season.
Nothing in TV will ever top the rants Al would go on while some hooker was blowing him, just brilliant acting.
agreed. Normally I'm more of a writer/dirrector guy than I am an actor guy, but Al was brillantly acted and made the series.
agreed. Normally I'm more of a writer/dirrector guy than I am an actor guy, but Al was brillantly acted and made the series.
Well, I guess when it starts pissin' rain in here, you know who to blame, huh? Now, I know word's circulatin' Indians killed a family on the Spearfish Road. Now it's not for me to tell anyone in this camp what to do, as much as I don't want more people gettin' their throats cut, scalps lifted or any other godless thing that these godless bloodthirsty heathens do. Or even if someone wants to ride out in darkness tonight. But I will tell you this. I'd use tonight to get myself organized. Ride out in the morning clear-headed. And startin' tomorrow morning, I will offer a personal $50 bounty for every decapitated head of as many of these godless heathen cocksuckers as anyone can bring in. Tomorrow. With no upper limit! That's all I say on that subject, 'cept next round's on the house. And God rest the souls of that poor family. And pussy's half price, next 15 minutes.
3rd.One of my five favorite shows ever, and Al was clearly the best character. As much as I loved Sopranos, it felt like it was winding down so long that I was relieved to see it go. Deadwood ended well before it really had a chance to become fully immortal; I pray that God will punish its creator for ending it.