Bubbles (His best season. I'm REALLLY surprised more people don't like him. BigD even said that people that liked him were "soft" or something. That's super confusing to me, because I think he's one of the best characters of the entire series, and I have no idea how he is only a #7 seed in that bracket. That's crazy.)
No I didn't say that. I said that people voting for bubbles over clay davis in the tournament were soft hearted bitches. That statement was obviously tongue and cheek, and has everything to do with me loving Clay Davis and nothing to do with disliking bubbles. I liked him, and I think he's a great character. This quote tilted me so much that I re-read over every quote of mine in this thread, looking to what I said about bubbles, not really having a clue what you meant. Obv I started from the beginning like a rube, instead of starting from the end and working my way back. One good thing did come of that tho, because I found this quote about bubbles I made in 2008..
I agree completely about bubbles. For a long time, I thought he was kinda an.. excess character, an after thought. But character transformation, is basically the only one in the series. He's the only character that underwent a positive change, from the beginning of the series, to the end. Most of the other characters were corrupted by the system, to varying degrees. But Bubbles was a truly inspirational figure.
  • Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if they've actually come out and said this, but it's pretty clear that this is a possibility. Good thought.
Yeah, that was exactly the point: every single character, up and down the line, was replaced by another character filling the same spot in the ecosystem. It was their way of re-stating the point of the series: the Insane War on Drugs doesn't change anything except the names of the victims.
I think the message that they were sending is that the people may change but the game goes on. Dukie is the next Bubbles and Michael is the next Omar.
This is pretty damn good. I never put that together.

Regarding Wallace's death -

David Simon on it "The crew was ****in’ mad at us. The crew was like, “This is a bad scene, man.” It was horrifying. We’re hugging the actor—a great kid named Michael Jordan. He’s got a good gig now. Friday Night Lights. I just put my arm around him and I said, “Look, people are going to remember this scene for a long time and they’re going to know that this is a young man who can act. I can’t write you a better scene than that.” And he brought it. All three of the young actors in that room did."

I yeah, one more thing, Omar's time was long ago. His character was almost too good at what he did. Very unrealistic that he hadn't been killed by a random kid/person earlier.

I yeah, one more thing, Omar's time was long ago. His character was almost too good at what he did. Very unrealistic that he hadn't been killed by a random kid/person earlier.
Omar on the witness stand: Day at a time I suppose...
Omar on the witness stand: Day at a time I suppose...
Omar lived because he rarely, if ever, exposed himself to a situation he wasn't in control of. And when word on the street is that Omar is ALWAYS willing to go all the way, people gonna respect that and give the man a wide berth. Like when he went to get Cheerios in his robe with no gun. People cleared out and he even got a stash to drop in his lap without even asking.

been watching a lot of episodes on the audience network on Direct TV. they are on season 4 right now. Amazing watching the how the kids grow up and to know what they become.

been watching a lot of episodes on the audience network on Direct TV. they are on season 4 right now. Amazing watching the how the kids grow up and to know what they become.
they didn't film the show over a long period of time, or anything. they're just switching out the actors/actresses.
they didn't film the show over a long period of time, or anything. they're just switching out the actors/actresses.
I don't recall any switching out and I've seen it twice
  • 3 weeks later...
Grantland tournament to determine The Wire's greatest character.
David Simon not a fan.I don't have much regard for which was the coolest season, which was the coolest character. Sorry. That's the case. The fact that I'm reading this stuff on Grantland, and going, "Man, this is what it comes down to? You work on something for 8 years and it comes down to this?"
He should realize, "Wait my show's been off the air for over 5 years and people still talk about it this much? Wow."
They're talking about the wrong things! His show is important!
He should realize, "Wait my show's been off the air for over 5 years and people still talk about it this much? Wow."
thing is he knows how good it is. and he knows that no matter the praise heaped on it there can never be enough. the show is so far above anything else it really deserves its own category.

It's much douchier than I thought. Is he pissed that Bill Simmons wasn't talking about the wire years ago? I'm pretty sure he was. Is this residual anger from Closterman praising Breaking Bad over the wire? I don't know, it seems incredibly douchy though to bitch about a wire bracket. I think he has a basic misunderstanding about the way people consume entertainment, and their relationship to entertainment they love. Participating in a wire bracket isn't mutually exclusive with understanding the issues and art of the wire.

Whatever losers. David Simon and I would be best friends.