A Child's View Of Religion

Renaedawn posted this story, and I thought it was funny. I would like to hear you guys' take on it. Anyway, it's a little out of context, but here it is:That window thing reminds me of a funny story about my nephew. His parents are raising him Catholic (he is, she isn't) and there's a crucifix on his wall over his bed as I guess is a Catholic tradition. Anyway, Talon was having this thing about monsters. He was scared of monsters. Monsters were everywhere. Not just in the dark but around corners and just everywhere. He wouldn't go to sleep one night because he kept insisting a monster was trying to get in through his window. His mom said, "Talon, look, Jesus is over your bed. He'll protect you." Talon looked up at the crucifix, pointed to it and said, "That guy? That guy can't help me."I had to run out of the room before he heard me bust out laughing.

I think it's immature and completely inappropriate for you to post a story like that in the Religion Forum.Shame on you, Turd Ferguson.We all know that Jesus protects us from monsters. Just because some stupid kid doesn't believe it doesn't mean shit.

I think it's immature and completely inappropriate for you to post a story like that in the Religion Forum.Shame on you, Turd Ferguson.We all know that Jesus protects us from monsters. Just because some stupid kid doesn't believe it doesn't mean shit.
You better watch those curse words, mister. You'll go straight to hell talking like that.
Renaedawn posted this story, and I thought it was funny. I would like to hear you guys' take on it. Anyway, it's a little out of context, but here it is:That window thing reminds me of a funny story about my nephew. His parents are raising him Catholic (he is, she isn't) and there's a crucifix on his wall over his bed as I guess is a Catholic tradition. Anyway, Talon was having this thing about monsters. He was scared of monsters. Monsters were everywhere. Not just in the dark but around corners and just everywhere. He wouldn't go to sleep one night because he kept insisting a monster was trying to get in through his window. His mom said, "Talon, look, Jesus is over your bed. He'll protect you." Talon looked up at the crucifix, pointed to it and said, "That guy? That guy can't help me."I had to run out of the room before he heard me bust out laughing.
Yeah, a guy nailed to a cross doesn't really inspire confidence. Dang that's funny. That being said, I do think Jesus can help me. That doesn't mean that this wasn't hilarious.
How long did it take you to figure out that religion is a scam?
I have always known.(please let a religious person get offended and attempt to argue!!)

I was just talking to my dad about what I thought about brainwashing kids to become a religion. And how when they are taught that they are 100% right that is how almost all conflicts are started and thats how extremists are formed. And that you shouldn't look down upon people for having other beliefs than you. His response "you are just too young to understand".

His response "you are just too young to understand".
unless the kid is like 5 and you dont want to explain some "adult" subjects, this usually means "I cant logically explain why i think im right, so ill just end the argument with an insulting nonsense statement"
How long did it take you to figure out that religion is a scam?
Too long. I could have saved myself years of Sunday School torture.

It took me until high school. Although, to be fair, I was indoctrinated really strong. My whole family's full of hardcore conservative Catholics, and I did the catholic schools and the whole bit.It seems to me like most people who get into religion are either poor or unintelligent. With the first one, they use it almost willfully to make themselves feel better about their circumstances until they finally convince themselves that it's true. My mom and my uncles were really poor growing up so I think that's the root of their wrongheadedness. After you jam something into your head for 25-30 years, it kinda gets stuck there.I'm just amazed how bad the whole thing is though when I actually attend a church service now. (I sometimes do on Easter or Christmas to placate my mom.) The whole thing's about repeating how great Jesus is over and over until it gets drummed into your head, meditating about how great Jesus is, and then proclaiming what a virtue it is to have "faith" in Jesus. Honestly, if any other institution used those brainwashing techniques, people would be outraged.

It took me until high school. Although, to be fair, I was indoctrinated really strong. My whole family's full of hardcore conservative Catholics, and I did the catholic schools and the whole bit.It seems to me like most people who get into religion are either poor or unintelligent. With the first one, they use it almost willfully to make themselves feel better about their circumstances until they finally convince themselves that it's true. My mom and my uncles were really poor growing up so I think that's the root of their wrongheadedness. After you jam something into your head for 25-30 years, it kinda gets stuck there.I'm just amazed how bad the whole thing is though when I actually attend a church service now. (I sometimes do on Easter or Christmas to placate my mom.) The whole thing's about repeating how great Jesus is over and over until it gets drummed into your head, meditating about how great Jesus is, and then proclaiming what a virtue it is to have "faith" in Jesus. Honestly, if any other institution used those brainwashing techniques, people would be outraged.
I guarantee if you visited a church that wasnt catholic, like maybe a non-denominational type church you would find a very different setting
I guarantee if you visited a church that wasnt catholic, like maybe a non-denominational type church you would find a very different setting
Thats like asking what kind of poo to step in. No thanks.
Thats like asking what kind of poo to step in. No thanks.
more like its finding a church that teaches you to study the bible instead of telling you what to thinkhopefully youll learn the difference
more like its finding a church that teaches you to study the bible instead of telling you what to thinkhopefully youll learn the difference
Lol. You are right, you clearly think for yourself.

I don't understand the need to mock religion or the beliefs of others no matter how much you disagree with them. I continue to see posts in the religion forum that are started just to make fun of organized religion or someone's beliefs. I thought the point of this forum was to intelligently discuss religion not bash other's beliefs.

I don't understand the need to mock religion or the beliefs of others no matter how much you disagree with them. I continue to see posts in the religion forum that are started just to make fun of organized religion or someone's beliefs. I thought the point of this forum was to intelligently discuss religion not bash other's beliefs.
There are no intelligent discussions in online forums anywhere. The point of forums is for people to think they're cool by getting other people pissed at them. I've been to a couple of non-denominational masses and really didnt see that much different than Catholicism except that they tend to be more vague. That's probably the best way to set up a religion if you want to make money.
There are no intelligent discussions in online forums anywhere. The point of forums is for people to think they're cool by getting other people pissed at them. I've been to a couple of non-denominational masses and really didnt see that much different than Catholicism except that they tend to be more vague. That's probably the best way to set up a religion if you want to make money.
That's the whole point to non- denominational- it's religion for the masses, dumbed down and primed to take advantage of peoples need for hope. There is no real seeking of truth, just a beeline for your wallet. It's a disgrace.
That's the whole point to non- denominational- it's religion for the masses, dumbed down and primed to take advantage of peoples need for hope. There is no real seeking of truth, just a beeline for your wallet. It's a disgrace.
This would be a great point if the non-denominational religious educators made one zillionth the profits of just one of the organized religions. Morality doesnt require religion or faith.
This would be a great point if the non-denominational religious educators made one zillionth the profits of just one of the organized religions. Morality doesnt require religion or faith.
This whole interchange makes me sad. From www.dictionary.comMoral applies to personal character and behavior, especially sexual conduct: “Our moral sense dictates a clearcut preference for these societies which share with us an abiding respect for individual human rights” (Jimmy Carter). Ethical stresses idealistic standards of right and wrong: “Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants” (Omar N. Bradley). Virtuous implies moral excellence and loftiness of character: “The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous” (Frederick Douglass). Righteous emphasizes moral uprightness; when it is applied to actions, reactions, or impulses, it often implies justifiable outrage: “He was... stirred by righteous wrath” (John Galsworthy).