Official St. Louis Cardinals Thread

This team seems to like scoring in just one inning now. Weird. Nice to see Tony is finally mixing things up, dropping Eckstein and Edmonds in the lineup, putting Duncan 4th, bringing up Ludwick and giving him a chance to play. This team still isn't going anywhere until Pujols finally starts hitting again.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice to see a couple quality starts from Wainwright after his rough patch. I think he'll be alright, he's got good stuff. Reyes is the one I'm a bit worried about, he's kinda inconsistent.

Question posed on another thread I saw.Do you make the trade:Scott Rolen to the Dodgers for Wilson Betemit and either Andre Ethier/Matt Kemp.FYI, the question was posed by Post Dispatch Columnist Bernie Miklasz (which suggests to me he might have know something about the Cards in discussions), not just some random internet troll. Anyway, I think if you can get Rolen's contract for the next 3 years off the books, you might have to consider it. He's clearly not the player he was, and he's making well over 10 million. $40 million combined for Pujols/Edmonds/Rolen kind of hampers what this team can do if those guys don't produce.

Question posed on another thread I saw.Do you make the trade:Scott Rolen to the Dodgers for Wilson Betemit and either Andre Ethier/Matt Kemp.FYI, the question was posed by Post Dispatch Columnist Bernie Miklasz (which suggests to me he might have know something about the Cards in discussions), not just some random internet troll. Anyway, I think if you can get Rolen's contract for the next 3 years off the books, you might have to consider it. He's clearly not the player he was, and he's making well over 10 million. $40 million combined for Pujols/Edmonds/Rolen kind of hampers what this team can do if those guys don't produce.
Yes, I make it. This team needs to get younger, and shed salary. This trade accomplishes both.
FYI, the question was posed by Post Dispatch Columnist Bernie Miklasz (which suggests to me he might have know something about the Cards in discussions), not just some random internet troll.
LINK?
LINK?
Got a chance to listen to his radio show today and found out this was just a hypothetical thing that him and someone from an LA paper or something just tossed around as an idea (a what if basically).Anyway, here's a link to the thread he started on his forum. Don't usually see him make something like this if it isn't a bit of inside info, so I'm a bit surprised he didn't mention specifically that it was a radio bit. http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.p...3dff7ed17b314df

Whether or not the proposal is true that trade is a toughy. While you are shedding salary and getting younger, you would still be giving up a Gold Glove third baseman and someone capable of winning the MVP when healthy for a couple of good young players that still haven't fully established themselves. Betemit and Ethier/Kemp have great potential, but I want to see that breakout year from them to firmly implant them as stars.

• 2 weeks later...

seems like they finally are starting to hit the ball a little bit. That should help take a little bit of the pressure off the pitchers. Still not a great team, but you gotta start somewhere. 5-3 wins are certainly better than 3-1 losses.

amazing how much better the offense seems to be doing w/ our tablesetter (Eckstein) ACTUALLY getting on base. Good move by Tony to drop him down to #8 for a bit. Either lit a fire under him, or allowed him to regain his confidence. Now even when they lose, it's not by scores of 13-2 or 8-1. I can't stand those games as consistently as they seemed to be happening a couple weeks ago.

have fun, I haven't been to a Cardinals game since April of last year...it was my birthday as a matter of fact
The game sucked. Thompson pitched like shit. And some clown behind me would not shut the fuck up. It happens everytime I go to a game.

I'm heading down to the game next friday...certainly hope it's not as crappy as that. Meanwhile, Reyes continues to pitch well down in the minors... that whole situation is becoming frustrating.