Official St. Louis Cardinals Thread

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats the lineup gonna look like?You'll have Ankiel, Pujols, Glaus, and Duncan (probably) in the heart. But who else? Izturis will be down in the line-up, probably. Who will be the 2B? Who will win the third outfield spot? So many questions. What will the rotation look like? Are they trying to sign any pitching? Do they have a plan? Im worried. Someone hold me.

my guess for opening day lineup?Izturis (this makes me hurt)AnkielPujolsGlausDuncanMolinaLudwick (at least on opening day, this spot will rotate)Pitcher spotKennedy (dear lord help us all).

my guess for opening day lineup?Izturis (this makes me hurt)AnkielPujolsGlausDuncanMolinaLudwick (at least on opening day, this spot will rotate)Pitcher spotKennedy (dear lord help us all).
I fully agree with Izturis. Although the man is a gold glove candidate he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. I have a hard time with who's going to play where in the OF. If it were me it'd be Duncan in LF, Ankiel in CF, and Ludwick in RF. I'm sure that Skip Schumaker will fill in as needed in the same way that So Taguchi did. I'm not sure that Kennedy will be starting at 2B especially since they held onto Aaron Miles. Overall the season is not looking good for the Cardinals especially since the NL Central is improving by leaps and bounds. The only smart move the Cardinals made this off-season is locking up Yadier Molina for another 4 years. He is arguably the best defensive catcher in the NL and possibly in all of baseball. It was a move that the Cardinals needed to make.
  • 3 weeks later...
If they dont make the playoffs, Im not happy. Thats the way it should be.
me either, but to expect the Cardinals to make the playoffs is almost recklessChicago, Milwaukee, and Cincinnati are all better teamsas much as I hate to say it...it's true
me either, but to expect the Cardinals to make the playoffs is almost recklessChicago, Milwaukee, and Cincinnati are all better teamsas much as I hate to say it...it's true
I'll never admit that.

Milwaukee is really the only team with more talent than St. Louis. Chicago and Cincy have about the same amount of talent.With that said I liked this offseason more than last offseason when they did nothing. But it's still not enough. I put the over/under in total wins for the Cards at 53.

Milwaukee is really the only team with more talent than St. Louis. Chicago and Cincy have about the same amount of talent.With that said I liked this offseason more than last offseason when they did nothing. But it's still not enough. I put the over/under in total wins for the Cards at 53.
All three team got better in the off season while St. Louis lost their All Star SS in David Eckstein (you will realize how much he will be missed), their over-the-hill but still viable CF in Jim Edmonds, and lost one of their biggest bench contributors in So Taguchi. The only way the Cardinals are going to make a play for the NL Central title is if Adam Wainwright keeps himself in check, and if Chris Carpenter comes back from his injury. Other than that it doesn't look good.
All three team got better in the off season while St. Louis lost their All Star SS in David Eckstein (you will realize how much he will be missed), their over-the-hill but still viable CF in Jim Edmonds, and lost one of their biggest bench contributors in So Taguchi. The only way the Cardinals are going to make a play for the NL Central title is if Adam Wainwright keeps himself in check, and if Chris Carpenter comes back from his injury. Other than that it doesn't look good.
Eckstein's on the downside of his career also. So Taguchi is a decent bench guy, but that's about it. They are better off going with Duncan, Ankiel and a young guy in the OF. And they still have Pujols, I think the trade with Rolen and Glaus is a wash. Both are about the same at this point. The record will come down to pitching, which I agree isn't very good.
I've got a thousand dollars on the over.
You're probably right I'm just overreacting because I'm a true fan that is harder on my team then I should be. But we'll be about 20 games under .500 by the end of the year.
You're probably right I'm just overreacting because I'm a true fan that is harder on my team then I should be. But we'll be about 20 games under .500 by the end of the year.
So you see a 71-91 season. That is a definite possiblity. As a preseason guess, I'm going to go with 84-77. Somewhere in that neighborhood.
Eckstein's on the downside of his career also. So Taguchi is a decent bench guy, but that's about it. They are better off going with Duncan, Ankiel and a young guy in the OF. And they still have Pujols, I think the trade with Rolen and Glaus is a wash. Both are about the same at this point. The record will come down to pitching, which I agree isn't very good.
Taguchi had gotten pretty bad defensively last season, which didn't get mentioned enough. If he can't play defense, he wasn't worth it.Anyway, this team is a bit too reliant on "if everything goes right w/ guy XXXXXX (insert Clement, Pineiro, Reyes, Ankiel, Carpenter, Mulder, Rasmus, etc)" and not enough known quantities (Pujols, Molina, Wainwright...somewhat, Izzy) to expect them reasonably to make the playoffs.
Taguchi had gotten pretty bad defensively last season, which didn't get mentioned enough. If he can't play defense, he wasn't worth it.Anyway, this team is a bit too reliant on "if everything goes right w/ guy XXXXXX (insert Clement, Pineiro, Reyes, Ankiel, Carpenter, Mulder, Rasmus, etc)" and not enough known quantities (Pujols, Molina, Wainwright...somewhat, Izzy) to expect them reasonably to make the playoffs.
I agree with a lot of that. Except I think Ankiel is pretty good. He'll be a good major league outfielder
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...