Official St. Louis Cardinals Thread

I'm not saying that talent isn't necessary because it is. However, I think you guys underestimate just how good Eckstein is. He played his college ball at Florida, which is on the same level as LSU, Wichita State, USC, Texas, and all of the other college baseball powerhouses. The fact that he walked on and earned a starting spot on that team is even more impressive due to the talent that gets recruited to Gainesville every year.
We have to go back to college to prove this guy's a good player?
  • Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have to go back to college to prove this guy's a good player?
No, it's just another instance that he has always been looked down upon because he doesn't fit the typical profile...and everywhere he has proven himself to be much better than what people perceive him to be.
No, it's just another instance that he has always been looked down upon because he doesn't fit the typical profile...and everywhere he has proven himself to be much better than what people perceive him to be.
I don't care about typical profiles. Dustin Pedroia is my god right now. I can buy that he's better than what people perceived him to be as he made his way to the majors and even after a season or two, but the pendulum has swung the other way. Every hack sportswriter can't wait to wash his balls. Bottom line is that he's a pretty average shortstop that is a curiosity because he's 5'6".
He's a good player actually. My biggest beef w/ him the last couple years, he's pretty consistently either been injured, or dealing w/ nagging injuries. Only averaged 120 games the last 2 years. We have enough people on the team who have injury issues (Rolen, Edmonds, the SP staff, etc). They'll bring him back if the price is right, and there's nothing wrong w/ that. But he needs to prove he can get other the injury bug IMO.
  • 3 weeks later...

The Cardinals signed the following players yesterday:-C Jason LaRue-1 year contract-RHP Dewon Brazelton-Minor League contract-RHP John Wasdin-Minor League ContractLaRue is the new backup catcher.

• 2 weeks later...
To me, this is evidence that Brendan Ryan will be the Starting shortstop VERY soon (Tony will be forced to play the kid).
That is a possibility, but I'm not so sure of that. I still seeing the Cardinals trying to re-sign Eckstein and putting either him or Izturis at 2B, and getting rid of Adam Kennedy.
The Miguel Cabrera trade might open up some possibilities as far as a Scott Rolen trade goes.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3143441Please get rid of him. His production is dropping like an anchor AND he doesnt want to be there. Give him away to anyone who will take him and his salary. I dont even care what you get back, take anything. Just get rid of that salary.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3143441Please get rid of him. His production is dropping like an anchor AND he doesnt want to be there. Give him away to anyone who will take him and his salary. I dont even care what you get back, take anything. Just get rid of that salary.
That won't be easy. The Cardinals have already stated that they will not take on any of Rolen's contract if he is traded. That right there will hamper their attempts to move him. When healthy Rolen is still a top notch 3B, but that shoulder of his needs to get healed up first.
That won't be easy. The Cardinals have already stated that they will not take on any of Rolen's contract if he is traded. That right there will hamper their attempts to move him. When healthy Rolen is still a top notch 3B, but that shoulder of his needs to get healed up first.
I think the rift between Rolen/Larussa is only gonna get uglier in the coming weeks as Rolen tries to force a trade. Some pretty stern comments from Larussa the other day are the talk of the town. Rumor is that Rolen will be releasing the note that Larussa sent him after the season. Seems to me the damage is irreperable (sp?).Honestly, given his level of discontentment, they need to move him. I've heard Capuano for Rolen was on the table, which I think is about as good a deal as they're gonna get (although, I'm a bit of a fan of Capuano as a middle/backend of the rotation guy personally - I might be overvaluing him somewhat).
I think the rift between Rolen/Larussa is only gonna get uglier in the coming weeks as Rolen tries to force a trade. Some pretty stern comments from Larussa the other day are the talk of the town. Rumor is that Rolen will be releasing the note that Larussa sent him after the season. Seems to me the damage is irreperable (sp?).Honestly, given his level of discontentment, they need to move him. I've heard Capuano for Rolen was on the table, which I think is about as good a deal as they're gonna get (although, I'm a bit of a fan of Capuano as a middle/backend of the rotation guy personally - I might be overvaluing him somewhat).
I think that's a good deal if the Cards aren't going to pay any of Rolen's remaining moneys. At least he can eat innings at a better clip than Kip Wells...and Duncan's proven time and again that if you give him someone with talent...not Kip Wells for instance....he can make them viable and get them lots of free agent moneys...see Jeff Suppan, Jason Marquis, etc.
If that is available they need to jump on it. IMMEDIATELY.
it WAS available, but the Brewers wanted the Cardinals to take on some of Rolen's contractsince that is a no, the the deal was nixedthat's not to say they won't change their minds, but don't get your hopes up

sure hope there's SOME follow up to the Edmonds deal. Like, more salary dump or something - be big players in the FA market next year or something. Who's the OF right now...Duncan, Ankiel, Ludwick? Rasmus won't be up until midseason I would think.

sure hope there's SOME follow up to the Edmonds deal. Like, more salary dump or something - be big players in the FA market next year or something. Who's the OF right now...Duncan, Ankiel, Ludwick? Rasmus won't be up until midseason I would think.
Yes, it would be nice to know if they had a plan or not. The article I read said that Rasmus would be given the oppurtunity to claim the CF job in spring training.
Yes, it would be nice to know if they had a plan or not. The article I read said that Rasmus would be given the oppurtunity to claim the CF job in spring training.
with Tony as manager, I find that somewhat hard to believe. The kid has a whole lot of pressure on him now though. Hope he can handle it.