Stephen Colbert At The White House Dinner

wow, heres a video of stephen colbert joking about the president to his face at the white house correspondents' dinner. i think i have a new hero. it gets really akward at some points becuase obviously all the republicans in there arnt digging it, and bush certainly wasnt. why would they invite him to talk at this?http://blogs.citypages.com/ctg/2006/04/the_truthiness.asp

I watched that this morning, it was hilarious. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why they invited him either, the correspondant's dinner isn't meant to be a roast, more like a lighthearted party. Maybe they just didn't mean for him to go that far, I dunno. New hero potential for sure, they guy certainly has brass balls.

On Iraq: "I believe the government that governs best is the government that governs least. And by these standards, we have set up a fabulous government in Iraq."On Cheney's hunting incident: "To sit here at the same table with my hero, George W. Bush...I feel like I'm dreaming. Somebody pinch me. You now what, I'm a pretty sound sleeper, that may not be enough...Somebody shoot me in the face."On Bush's response to global warming: "[Talking to Jesse Jackson] is like boxing a glacier...Enjoy that metaphor, by the way, because your grandchildren will have no idea what a glacier is."To Senator John McCain: "So wonderful to see you coming back into the Republican fold. I've actually got a summer house in South Carolina. Look me up when you go to speak at Bob Jones University."On Bush's "steadfastness": "The greatest thing about this man is that he's steady, you know where he stands. He believes the same thing Wednesday--no matter what happened Tuesday."On the press response to the White House shake-up and the metaphor of "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic": "This administration is soaring, not sinking...If anything, they are re-arranging the deck chairs on the Hindenburg."On Bush's approval rating: "Now I know there's some polls out there that say this man has a 32 percent approval rating. But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality.'Pay no attention to people who say the glass is half empty...Because 32 percent means it's 2/3 empty. There's still some liquid in that glass, is my point. But I wouldn't drink it. The last third is usually backwash."On Bush's response to disasters: "I stand by this man because he stands for things. Not only for things, he stands on things. Things like aircraft carriers, and rubble, and recently flooded city squares. And that sends a strong message, that no matter what happens to America, she will always rebound with the most powerfully staged photo ops in the world."

Great post.It did get kind of awkward in there for a while, but he kicked it into high gear at the end, made fun of some people and got some laughs.

Colbert is fantastic. And his show is hilarious.Nice find.

People seem to be making a bigger deal about this than it deserves. I love Colbert and make sure to watch every episode. Most of what he said is what he says on the show. This past evening, he joked about how his routine bombed. From that and what y'all were saying, I was surprised by the audience reaction. I thought there were plenty of laughs and not much in the way of real (painful) awkwardness. There's some of that "Daily Show" awkwardness that's apparent in interviews...but I'm so used to it that it's really part of the joke.Yeah, Colbert's got my respect, but it's a roast. There's expected to be some mocking. Nothing seemed too deep, but maybe I'm accustomed to that level of joking at this point. What I'm saying is that the right-wingers that are freaking out that it's disrespectful or unfunny need to learn to take a joke...and the left-wingers that view this as some sort of huge stand for free speech and punch in the face to Bush need to realize that while it has a point, it's still mostly satirical entertainment.The Daily Show and Colbert Report make fun of liberals and conservatives and represent the moderates in America that are jaded/cynical about the polarized political process and enjoy being entertained while learning about current events.

Yeah, Colbert's got my respect, but it's a roast. There's expected to be some mocking. Nothing seemed too deep, but maybe I'm accustomed to that level of joking at this point. What I'm saying is that the right-wingers that are freaking out that it's disrespectful or unfunny need to learn to take a joke...and the left-wingers that view this as some sort of huge stand for free speech and punch in the face to Bush need to realize that while it has a point, it's still mostly satirical entertainment.
Well, the Correspondent's dinner is definitely NOT a roast, and I think that's why there was a sense of stunned silence in the room. Also, not much of it was that funny, and Colbert usually cracks me up.