with the ESPY awards just around the corner...i dont know if they have it this year but they should have the best poker player award....they show enough of it on espn..the voting starts soon i think..maybe june

with the ESPY awards just around the corner...i dont know if they have it this year but they should have the best poker player award....they show enough of it on espn..the voting starts soon i think..maybe june
dont they already have the poker awards or something? I dont think enough people care about poker to give an espy award
dont they already have the poker awards or something? I dont think enough people care about poker to give an espy award
ehh they might add a poker award this year. Last year they had an award for best Jockey. I cant think of even one jockeys name off the top of my head. They only thing that might keep it out is that its not an action sport
ehh they might add a poker award this year. Last year they had an award for best Jockey. I cant think of even one jockeys name off the top of my head. They only thing that might keep it out is that its not an action sport
Listen if theres one Jockey you do need to know its Garrett Gomez... this Saturday He is going to be a big winner in the undercards... and if you want to make a wager on the derby itself... Id look at 2 ponies... Lawyer Ron and Brother Derrick... Its going to be short prices on both of them...but doubling your money is always nice
Listen if theres one Jockey you do need to know its Garrett Gomez... this Saturday He is going to be a big winner in the undercards... and if you want to make a wager on the derby itself... Id look at 2 ponies... Lawyer Ron and Brother Derrick... Its going to be short prices on both of them...but doubling your money is always nice
I nominate this for "most random post of all time"

I think "poker" is too general to give out an award for it. You could've won two big tourneys in a year...but what about the guy that killed cash games for multiple millions?

Trust me...noone on this board would want ESPN to have a "best poker player" award at the ESPY's, because hardly any of them know anything and they would probably make the following the choices on the ballot...Phil HellmuthDoyle BrunsonHoward LedererT.J. CloutierAnnie DukeNow, come on....does anyone want that to be an award and have to vote on THAT ballot??? Seriously, if ESPN created this, everyone would love it until they see the nominations they put out, and then every (serious) poker fan would hate it so much, so.....

the Espys is a SPORTS award show..... poker is NOT a sport
well poker is a sport, but they wouln't have the award since they would ruin it. They would have all tv players and it would just be fake.
only reason i bring it up is that....i think they show more poker shows on ESPN then any other sport.....
I may be from up north but I find it hard to believe.You mean to tell me you see poker more often than the big 4 sports?
well poker is a sport, but they wouln't have the award since they would ruin it. They would have all tv players and it would just be fake.
Poker is not a sport bro... It has nothing to do with you're athletic ability you see fat out of shape guys sitting in chairs eating hamburgers while playing poker... Do you see how this is not a sport?
I don't think horse racing is really an action sport, at least not for the jockeys.Then again they are probably anorexic for some reason...
Poker is not a sport bro... It has nothing to do with you're athletic ability you see fat out of shape guys sitting in chairs eating hamburgers while playing poker... Do you see how this is not a sport?
a SPORT is not always a physical activity...mental battle is just as tough
a SPORT is not always a physical activity...mental battle is just as tough
NO! A "sport" requires PHYSICAL ability, co-ordination, strength, speed, endurance etc. etc. etc. While Poker is a mental battle and great to watch IT IS NOT A SPORT! That being said I wouldn't be surprised if they added an ESPY for it and I think Kowboy is right in what the ballot would look like all the air time junkies would get nominated: DN, Ivey, Juanda etc. wouldn't stand a chance

I've had this debate numerous times, and the good definition of a sport I concluded is a game with a set of rules that involves strenuous activity. Of course thats a paraphrase, but according to that definition Poker is NOT a sport, because although it may be challenging, I do not consider it strenuous.

I've had this debate numerous times, and the good definition of a sport I concluded is a game with a set of rules that involves strenuous activity. Of course thats a paraphrase, but according to that definition Poker is NOT a sport, because although it may be challenging, I do not consider it strenuous.
Have you ever played poker for 12+ hours for 7 days straight for $7.5 million?I DO consider it strenuous.Are you kidding me?

I'm sorry there is one part of the definition of strenuous that I missed, stamina, which does play a large part. But it is less the game that is strenuous and more the hours that are put into the game.

Have you ever played poker for 12+ hours for 7 days straight for $7.5 million?I DO consider it strenuous.Are you kidding me?
No but I've never worked 12 hours a day 6 days a week at a law firm either or driven a big rig for 14 hours straight across the country. Both of these are just as strenuous as playing in the Main Event and NONE of them are sports. Sports require that the main determinant in deciding the winner is skill and poker still has far too much luck involved to qualify.