Fullmonty Lacks Knowledge!

As I see it, Christians and logic have been fighting for hundreds of years. What makes this instance any different?Logic can't fight back, but always wins in the end
This is a misperception. I am Christian, and I am using logic to fight Mattnxtc 's erroneous interpretations of the Bible.Monty
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's called humility. Try it sometime.The point about "denial of the antecedent" was that the verses you quoted only show ways in which you can go to heaven. They were not stated in a way that would indicate that it is the ONLY way you can go to heaven. You were applying the logical fallacy to come to the conclusion that you must do "x" to get into heaven, which, according to the verses you have quoted, isn't technically correct. While someone can expand/extend the logic to come to your conclusions, they need to "fill in some blanks" to come to that conclusion. In a sense, read more into the bible than is actually written. In other words, it is YOUR interpretation. It isn't wrong, necessarily, and it isn't 100% correct either. It is just a VIEW. And all views should be respected--and no one person should hold such views up as being superior to others.
No i didnt apply it wrong. I merely left something to be understood that yall missed thats all. I assumed yall would pick up on the only way to heaven is through belief in Jesus. So when I said that "only those who sign up" i was directly relating it to that belief in Jesus. If i wasnt clear with it I am sorry, I did correct it as soon as confusin came.
This is a misperception. I am Christian, and I am using logic to fight Mattnxtc 's erroneous interpretations of the Bible.Monty
you may understand logic but you arent very good at applying it. Nor do you seem to have a grasp on the bible in order to apply logic to the bible
No i didnt apply it wrong. I merely left something to be understood that yall missed thats all. I assumed yall would pick up on the only way to heaven is through belief in Jesus. So when I said that "only those who sign up" i was directly relating it to that belief in Jesus. If i wasnt clear with it I am sorry, I did correct it as soon as confusin came.you may understand logic but you arent very good at applying it. Nor do you seem to have a grasp on the bible in order to apply logic to the bible
I'm not even bothering with a reply to this. You are simply twisting the truth, outright lying, ignoring clear results of cleanly-applied logic, and showing a complete disregard for common sense.Arguing with you at this point is basically as follows:Matt: The sky is blueMonty: Sometimes the sky is not blue.Matt: THE SKY IS BLUE!!!!!!!!!Monty: If it is night, the sky is not blueMatt: If it is the sky, it is blue, therefore the sky is blue. You are not using logic correctly, Monty. You clearly don't know anything about logic or the sky.Monty
I'm not even bothering with a reply to this. You are simply twisting the truth, outright lying, ignoring clear results of cleanly-applied logic, and showing a complete disregard for common sense.Arguing with you at this point is basically as follows:Matt: The sky is blueMonty: Sometimes the sky is not blue.Matt: THE SKY IS BLUE!!!!!!!!!Monty: If it is night, the sky is not blueMatt: If it is the sky, it is blue, therefore the sky is blue. You are not using logic correctly, Monty. You clearly don't know anything about logic or the sky.Monty
funny this conversation nor one similiar to it ever happened
Funny, this conversation is satire.Monty
I thought there was a minimum age requirement to post. Probably lied about that also.This conversation also brings up an existential question.If Matt posts, and everyone has him on ignore, did he really post at all?
I thought there was a minimum age requirement to post. Probably lied about that also.This conversation also brings up an existential question.If Matt posts, and everyone has him on ignore, did he really post at all?
I'll be honest, I have started to wonder if I have been trying to engage in a dialectic with a fifteen-year-old. Matt, that comment is not intended to impugn you, I simply cannot understand the way you are ignoring all of the issues at hand and resorting to baseless hyperbole. If Matt is younger, however, I think this conversation in these threads is even more valuable. It might encourage him to think and read and express himself with a more critical eye. Nothing but good would come from this.Monty
I'll be honest, I have started to wonder if I have been trying to engage in a dialectic with a fifteen-year-old. Matt, that comment is not intended to impugn you, I simply cannot understand the way you are ignoring all of the issues at hand and resorting to baseless hyperbole. If Matt is younger, however, I think this conversation in these threads is even more valuable. It might encourage him to think and read and express himself with a more critical eye. Nothing but good would come from this.Monty
So i guess yall decided to attempt to change the subject in order to avoid answering a question...Let me refresh your memory: You have a belief that you think is true. You will not justify this belief which leads me to believe you cant justify it. Therefore yes this conversation is pointless b/c you can add no knowledge to the conversation. All you can do and continue to do is avoid answering questions. So again where is your justification for your belief?
So i guess yall decided to attempt to change the subject in order to avoid answering a question...Let me refresh your memory: You have a belief that you think is true. You will not justify this belief which leads me to believe you cant justify it. Therefore yes this conversation is pointless b/c you can add no knowledge to the conversation. All you can do and continue to do is avoid answering questions. So again where is your justification for your belief?
I am not attempting to change the subject. I will continue to discuss this with you ad nauseum.I have...Justified my beliefs.With...The BibleWith....LogicWith...Hypothetical situationsWithSound reasoningIn the other thread, you have conceded my point, so our discussion is over. I accept your agreement with me on this matter.Monty
HAHAHA do yall see what I mean. He has a belief. He just laid it out. But does he give justification for it? NOT A SINGLE SHRED. What does he say? I have proved over and over again what the bible says it takes to get to heaven. You must be righteous. To be righteous means to be free from sin. So please explain how somebody who has sinned should get a free ride into heaven? The bible offers no evidence for this. So you have to add yoru own pesonal views in order to believe what you wantYOU HAVE NO JUSTIFICATION FOR YOUR BELIEFS JUST ADMIT IT
i'm not going to read the rest of the thread, since it seems a juvenile attack, but since your beliefs seem to stem from a dogmatic insistance of the unquestionable truth of a book, supposedly written by an unseen, all-knowing, omnipotent figure that conveniently explains everything with convenient interpretations at your convenience...*deep breath*you don't seem in a good position to argue others' justifications.
i'm not going to read the rest of the thread, since it seems a juvenile attack, but since your beliefs seem to stem from a dogmatic insistance of the unquestionable truth of a book, supposedly written by an unseen, all-knowing, omnipotent figure that conveniently explains everything with convenient interpretations at your convenience...*deep breath*you don't seem in a good position to argue others' justifications.
My justification comes from a book older than any of us. That has withstood 2000 years of problems.
I am not attempting to change the subject. I will continue to discuss this with you ad nauseum.I have...Justified my beliefs.With...The BibleWith....LogicWith...Hypothetical situationsWithSound reasoningIn the other thread, you have conceded my point, so our discussion is over. I accept your agreement with me on this matter.Monty
really? And the biblical verses for somebody who doesnt believe in Jesus getting into Heaven are where? In you hypothetical you showed nothing. i explained that already to. So in fact you are still left without any justification. Nice try
And the biblical verses for somebody who doesnt believe in Jesus getting into Heaven are where?
Again, you are so completely off-base...I am saying that you cannot eliminate the possibility of someone who doesn't know Jesus getting into Heaven.You are saying that you -can- eliminate the possibility of someone who doesn't know Jesus getting into Heaven.To eliminate a possibility, you must provide logically-sound evidence that supports elimination of that possibility.I am not trying to eliminate possibilities, yet I have provided logically-sound evidence that supports -not- eliminating those possibilities.You are trying to eliminate possibilities, and have -failed- to provide logically-sound evidence support the elimination of those possibilities.
In you hypothetical you showed nothing. i explained that already to. So in fact you are still left without any justification. Nice try
My hypothetical is ironclad. You refused to answer and resorted to deux ex machina. ("I am positive they will be saved, no matter what" - a statement made so that you could backpedal from your previous statement that they were going to Hell) I riposted that you, in fact, by resorting to duex ex machina, while a questionable decision, did in fact prove my original point.That God can act, as an omnipotent entity, and accomplish things outside the confines of the scriptures.Monty
Again, you are so completely off-base...I am saying that you cannot eliminate the possibility of someone who doesn't know Jesus getting into Heaven.You are saying that you -can- eliminate the possibility of someone who doesn't know Jesus getting into Heaven.To eliminate a possibility, you must provide logically-sound evidence that supports elimination of that possibility.I am not trying to eliminate possibilities, yet I have provided logically-sound evidence that supports -not- eliminating those possibilities.You are trying to eliminate possibilities, and have -failed- to provide logically-sound evidence support the elimination of those possibilities.My hypothetical is ironclad. You refused to answer and resorted to deux ex machina. ("I am positive they will be saved, no matter what" - a statement made so that you could backpedal from your previous statement that they were going to Hell) I riposted that you, in fact, by resorting to duex ex machina, while a questionable decision, did in fact prove my original point.That God can act, as an omnipotent entity, and accomplish things outside the confines of the scriptures.Monty
I will impress you with my vast biblical knowledge and say you have the patience of job
Again, you are so completely off-base...I am saying that you cannot eliminate the possibility of someone who doesn't know Jesus getting into Heaven.You are saying that you -can- eliminate the possibility of someone who doesn't know Jesus getting into Heaven.To eliminate a possibility, you must provide logically-sound evidence that supports elimination of that possibility.I am not trying to eliminate possibilities, yet I have provided logically-sound evidence that supports -not- eliminating those possibilities.You are trying to eliminate possibilities, and have -failed- to provide logically-sound evidence support the elimination of those possibilities.My hypothetical is ironclad. You refused to answer and resorted to deux ex machina. ("I am positive they will be saved, no matter what" - a statement made so that you could backpedal from your previous statement that they were going to Hell) I riposted that you, in fact, by resorting to duex ex machina, while a questionable decision, did in fact prove my original point.That God can act, as an omnipotent entity, and accomplish things outside the confines of the scriptures.Monty
Hmm bible makes a conditional statementIf you are righteous you can enter heaven. If there are other ways to enter heaven then we are left with the conclusion that the bible is wrong. As a christian I stick to what the bibles says. I dont live in the world of "what ifs" as you do. The bible is God's word that He wants us to know. you have to add to the bible to justify your belief (which you still havent done). Only the bible is considered the inspired word of God. That means nothing else that exists is. Yet you rely on the "what ifs" and "maybes"as for your "ironclad hypothetical"I run into people like you all the time. You say lots of big words and hope that people dont realize the truth. That you lack any justification for what you say. Your "ironclad hypothetical" shows absolutely nothing. All it does is prove the bible. If that person "seeks the Lord he will not be disappointed" If he doesnt seek the Lord he will be judged for his sins. There are no exceptions. Your "ironclad hypothetical" falls apart merely by opening a bible and reading. Those who do not seek the Lord will not see Him.
Hmm bible makes a conditional statementIf you are righteous you can enter heaven. If there are other ways to enter heaven then we are left with the conclusion that the bible is wrong.
This is the straw that breaks the camel's back, Matt. We've gone over conditionals over and over and over again. What you have just said, in the quote above, is the exact same logical fallacy that you ran into with your "sign up for the team" analogy.IF [You are righteous] ----> THEN [You can enter Heaven]Says ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about other ways to enter Heaven.
As a christian I stick to what the bibles says. I dont live in the world of "what ifs" as you do.
This is where you are sorely mistaken.As a Christian I read the Bible and take it at face value. When the Bible says, (paraphrased): if you are righteous, you will go to Heaven, that's all it says. It says if you are righteous you go.
The bible is God's word that He wants us to know. you have to add to the bible to justify your belief (which you still havent done). Only the bible is considered the inspired word of God. That means nothing else that exists is. Yet you rely on the "what ifs" and "maybes"
Matt, your lack of understanding pains me. It really does. -You- are the one dealing in "what ifs" and "maybes" when you assume that a statement about how to get into Heaven is an exclusive statement, when there are no indications that it is an exclusive statement.
as for your "ironclad hypothetical" I run into people like you all the time. You say lots of big words and hope that people dont realize the truth.
The words in my hypothetical are words that are clearly understood by anyone who has gotten at least part-way through high school. There are no "big words" in the hypothetical.
That you lack any justification for what you say. Your "ironclad hypothetical" shows absolutely nothing. All it does is prove the bible. If that person "seeks the Lord he will not be disappointed" If he doesnt seek the Lord he will be judged for his sins. There are no exceptions. Your "ironclad hypothetical" falls apart merely by opening a bible and reading. Those who do not seek the Lord will not see Him.
You are becoming a broken record, Matt. I have provided literally dozens of different pieces of information supporting my side of the argument. All you have done is say "you lack any justification for what you say, the Bible is what I believe and it is all there is."So all you have done is state the complete opposite of what has actually happened and then thrown up the Bible as an "ironclad" shield against criticism or inquiry.If you are an adult, then shame on you.If you are a child, then I hope you take what I have said to you to heart. Because you will do MORE HARM to Christianity, if you continue on your current course. If you are a child, then you don't know what you are saying or doing. But if you persist in what you are saying and doing, you will harm the cause of religion in this modern world, you will be held up as an example of why people that believe in God are closed-minded, but that doesn't mean you will be a martyr, that means you will be a tool of people who want to see religion fail. If you've been given limited information at an impressionable age, that is understandable. I hope that is the case, and that you will open your eyes to the brilliant and wondrous tools God provides us in things such as logic and reasoning. God created everything, including logic and reasoning and big words, and if he created those things he wants us to use them.Monty

please provide any justification for anything you believe. Thats all I ask. Provide just one piece of evidence. Please i bet of you. Just provide one shred of evidence. O wait you cant

please provide any justification for anything you believe. Thats all I ask. Provide just one piece of evidence. Please i bet of you. Just provide one shred of evidence. O wait you cant
This is why this discussion is over Matt. I have provided evidence. Once I provide evidence, you are free to point out flaws in my evidence, or dispute the evidence's validity.Instead you have chosen to engage in a bizarre, delusional form of hyperbole, a form that no one reading could possibly put any stock into.When you develop better strategies for discussion of these issues, we can continue this conversation. Until then, denying what is obviously true will not suffice.Monty
This is why this discussion is over Matt. I have provided evidence. Once I provide evidence, you are free to point out flaws in my evidence, or dispute the evidence's validity.Instead you have chosen to engage in a bizarre, delusional form of hyperbole, a form that no one reading could possibly put any stock into.When you develop better strategies for discussion of these issues, we can continue this conversation. Until then, denying what is obviously true will not suffice.Monty
and your evidence is what? That you really want to believe it? I am sorry Monty but "God works in mysterious ways" isnt an answerYour hypothetical is touching BUT as I pointed out God wouldnt let the person down ONLY if the person first seeked the Lord. Then I said God would appear in some form. IF that person does not seek the Lord then he will be judged on his own actions. So where is your evidence for this?Where is your biblical evidence? I have seen none that supports the idea that a person who doesnt know the Lord can get in to heaven. John 14 doesnt help you. It sticks with the theme of believers only. You must go beyond the bible in order to justify your beliefs. Which when it comes to God isnt a wise idea. Your logical deductions? All made on wrong assumptions. When you broke belief into 3 different meanings you showed you had to change the bible to fit what you want. I called you on it and still you have not fixed itSo no you have not provided any justification.

To be honest, I have not read all of these posts, but I have read alot of them. Monty,Do you believe that those who have never heard the Gospel, but are sincerely seeking God will be saved? What are the conditions for someone never hearing the Gospel to be saved? What if someone DOES hear the Gospel, but blatantly rejects it; will they be saved?Just some questions...

and your evidence is what? That you really want to believe it? I am sorry Monty but "God works in mysterious ways" isnt an answerYour hypothetical is touching BUT as I pointed out God wouldnt let the person down ONLY if the person first seeked the Lord. Then I said God would appear in some form. IF that person does not seek the Lord then he will be judged on his own actions. So where is your evidence for this?Where is your biblical evidence? I have seen none that supports the idea that a person who doesnt know the Lord can get in to heaven. John 14 doesnt help you. It sticks with the theme of believers only. You must go beyond the bible in order to justify your beliefs. Which when it comes to God isnt a wise idea. Your logical deductions? All made on wrong assumptions. When you broke belief into 3 different meanings you showed you had to change the bible to fit what you want. I called you on it and still you have not fixed itSo no you have not provided any justification.
Like I said Matt, this discussion is over. I have adequately supported my POV, you have chosen to respond with inanity. I'm not getting frustrated by this process, but a reasonable person has to know when to say "it's over." And this discussion is definetly over, because all you are doing is denying things that are obviously true in a bizarre attempt to "prove" your point.Monty
Like I said Matt, this discussion is over. I have adequately supported my POV, you have chosen to respond with inanity. I'm not getting frustrated by this process, but a reasonable person has to know when to say "it's over." And this discussion is definetly over, because all you are doing is denying things that are obviously true in a bizarre attempt to "prove" your point.Monty
You have adequately supported your POV with what? You say its over merely b/c you know you cant get around the facts. The facts are that nothing you have provide gives any reasonable proof to anything. Please be man enough to admit that. I showed that of all your "evidence" it still does not answer any real questions. Please clear those up for us.
You have adequately supported your POV with what? You say its over merely b/c you know you cant get around the facts. The facts are that nothing you have provide gives any reasonable proof to anything. Please be man enough to admit that. I showed that of all your "evidence" it still does not answer any real questions. Please clear those up for us.
I have done my best to engage in a reasonable, thought-provoking discussion with you, Matt. You have chosen to take the low-road and engage in hyperbole. That is why this discussion is over. If anyone wishs to review the evidence I have provided supporting my POV, then they can review the thread, I am not going to rehash everything here.You already accepted my point in response to the hypothetical anyways, so all the backpedalling and hyperbole in the world will not bring us back from that point in the discussion.Monty
I have done my best to engage in a reasonable, thought-provoking discussion with you, Matt. You have chosen to take the low-road and engage in hyperbole. That is why this discussion is over. If anyone wishs to review the evidence I have provided supporting my POV, then they can review the thread, I am not going to rehash everything here.You already accepted my point in response to the hypothetical anyways, so all the backpedalling and hyperbole in the world will not bring us back from that point in the discussion.Monty
What points did i accept from your hypothetical? I believe from the start that you accepted my points which are:1. If the boy seeks the Lord he will not be disappointed2. If he does not seek the Lord he will stand judgementThose are my points. Those have always been my points. If you agree with this then your own beliefs are wrong. If not please explain how I am wrongwhat backpedaling? I have stuck to the very same answer the entire timeFurther I want to clarify John 14 for you Monty. It has been my contention that your interpretation is wrong and that the "many dwellings" are not open to the option of nonbelievers. We go to John 3:18 "He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God"These are Jesus's words. All have been judged guilty who do not believe. There is no exception to this. So your interpetation does not follow the flow of the book.