Official World Cup Thread

So, we are 45 days away from the biggest sporting event in the world.I loved Argentina, but they have a tough group, and Messi's injury is a serious concern. Riquelme could take them far.I think England is overated. Beckham is not as he used to be. Ledley king injury and defense is a worry as well as in goal. Never was a Robinson fan. Need Lampard and Gerard to become world class players on the big stage to contend.Germany has only Ballack and the home field in their corner. I don't see them getting past the quarters.Brazil is always tough. Ronaldinho is the best player in the world but Ronaldo is not what he used to be. I like Sweden as a dark horse USA can do well but have a tough group and could face Brazil in 2nd round. O'brien's injury is key. Can Donavan become a world class player? This is his opportunity. solid in goal as always.Italy would be a serious contender with Totti. If Totti is fully fit and recovered I like them in the final.Prediction:Argentina over someone in Group E. Italy, Czech Republic and as a longshot: USA.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, the Us is ****ed. Italy, Czech, and Ghana? Italy is going to win. Also, Germany, England, Brazil, and Spain are staples to move onto the bracket round.When the US loses, I'm going to pull for Spain.

Hmm, Spain never live up to expectations in major championships. I can't see them doing it this year.England would have half a chance if they had a manager who wasn't a spineless woman.I don't know much about Argentina. They have lots of good players. They have to be a good bet to win it. Italy have a good team. I don't know if they'll go all the way though.The Czechs aren't the team they were.Holland and France have the players to go all the way. But Brazil will win it.

Portugal is my pick to win it all, they do tend to start slowly in tournaments but unlike Spain they usually play better the deeper they go. I think England is going to suffer a bad letdown early, and I would pick Ivory Coast to be the dark horse as they beat out the African Champions Egypt and Cameroon to qualify.Still it will be fun to watch.

I have to disagree with you guys....I think the USA has a good chance to win their group if they can beat the Czech Republic. I think they match up well against Italy, and Italy will be slow this year, which will allow us to use our speed on the wings to exploit this.If we don't win the group, we don't make it out of the 16. Brazil too good. I think England has a very good chance to do well this year. They have a good group of young players along with some veterans....cohesiveness of game plan and team is key.Portugal could be a darkhorse. Sweden will not make it past the 16. Italy has no chance. Argentina is consistent but, meh.An England/Brazil final would be glorious.

I have to disagree with you guys....I think the USA has a good chance to win their group if they can beat the Czech Republic. I think they match up well against Italy, and Italy will be slow this year, which will allow us to use our speed on the wings to exploit this.If we don't win the group, we don't make it out of the 16. Brazil too good. I think England has a very good chance to do well this year. They have a good group of young players along with some veterans....cohesiveness of game plan and team is key.Portugal could be a darkhorse. Sweden will not make it past the 16. Italy has no chance. Argentina is consistent but, meh.An England/Brazil final would be glorious.
In terms of seeing England get tonked? Most definitely :club:

I definitely disagree about England. I think they are vastly overrated. I like France and Holland as possible dark horses and, no, I don't think the US advance, but I do think Donovan is a World Class player, he just wasn't given his chance in Europe due to his being American.

Germany will make it AT LEAST to the semis...wont be suprised if they win it all...you're underestimating how strong the home field advantage is in the World Cup.
Good point. It's a cliche, but you can never write them off.
Good point. It's a cliche, but you can never write them off.
cliche but still valid.just remember the fact that korea made it all the way to brazil in the semi's in '02. there was just no way they could've stopped that team at all though.but i concur, germany will make the semis.they won't win it though.
I definitely disagree about England. I think they are vastly overrated. I like France and Holland as possible dark horses and, no, I don't think the US advance, but I do think Donovan is a World Class player, he just wasn't given his chance in Europe due to his being American.
this is a very far from true statement. He just grew a vag and ran home both times and never stuck it out. Brad Freidel is one of the best keepers in the world right now, demarcus beasley starts for PSV, and Tim Howard backs up one of the best keepers in the world. All of them are american, and there are two americans in the Reading squad that one the leauge championship this year and are going up to the prem that played a major role in Reading's promotion. Also look at the fact that the american born(but the ****** chose italy instead) Giuseppe Rossi is Man U's top young striker right now. Being american doesn't at all mean that you won't get a chance, its a matter of whether or not you have the stones and talent to play in europe. Donovan does have the talent, but he doesn't have the drive to do it IMO
this is a very far from true statement. He just grew a vag and ran home both times and never stuck it out. Brad Freidel is one of the best keepers in the world right now, demarcus beasley starts for PSV, and Tim Howard backs up one of the best keepers in the world. All of them are american, and there are two americans in the Reading squad that one the leauge championship this year and are going up to the prem that played a major role in Reading's promotion. Also look at the fact that the american born(but the ****** chose italy instead) Giuseppe Rossi is Man U's top young striker right now. Being american doesn't at all mean that you won't get a chance, its a matter of whether or not you have the stones and talent to play in europe. Donovan does have the talent, but he doesn't have the drive to do it IMO
I completely disagree. Also, our goalkeeping abilities are respected worldwide, but we have never produced a dangerous striker. Dangerous strikers have belonged to the rest of the world and the Premeirship is a completely different animal than the rest of European soccer. The few times they actually played Donovan, he played well, but he was slighted because he is an American striker. Rossi is applauded over there for choosing Italy because it makes him more "Soccer" than is he were pure American. When I was in Ireland, they continuosly put Donovan down and when I asked them if they ever actually seen him play theor response was always the same: " I don't have to". They don't think our strikers have the creativity and footwork of the rest of the world. If I thought I was deserving of a starting spot and they simply never played me, I'm pretty sure I'd go elsewhere to. Anyways, hopefully he will get a chance to dosplay his talents in the World Cup.

With rooney out now i dont think England is as big a threat as they were but you neer know

Last I saw the US is in the top 5 of the international rankings. How would anything less than the semifinals not be a disappointment?
Rankings are for people with way too much time on their hands. Having said that, The US has come a long way and could surprise some people. I will be over there cheering for them at the Italy and Ghana games, so hopefully I will get to see two victories after a draw or victory vs. czech republic. :club:

I'll be rooting for USA and England, but not betting on them. I imagine the world crowds will be vastly against the USA, and every game will be like a home game for the other team. England is going to be hurt if rooney doesn't recover.and then there's Germany. After watching WC's 94, 98 and 2002, I've come to discover that being home team is a HUGE advantage, not just with the crowd, but with the referee's. Japan and particularly Korea got rediculous calls in 02, and advanced far past where they would have if the WC was any where else. When you combine talent with home field and ref calls, you get a WC trophy ( france). Germany will be very, very hard to beat, and I only see one country having a good shot at it, Brazil, of course. Argentina also. but playing in Europe will be a big disadvantage for both of those teams. On a neutral field, I don't think germany makes the final 8, but at home I think they are the clear favorites, and if any one wants to wager, I'll take Germany in every game they play not against Brazil.

I have to give up on England now, too. Even if Rooney "returns", he won't be fully fit, and I don't think Sven did a very good job of getting his greener strikers playing time. They'll probably still advance out of their group, though.USA, USA, USA....

I completely disagree. Also, our goalkeeping abilities are respected worldwide, but we have never produced a dangerous striker. Dangerous strikers have belonged to the rest of the world and the Premeirship is a completely different animal than the rest of European soccer. The few times they actually played Donovan, he played well, but he was slighted because he is an American striker. Rossi is applauded over there for choosing Italy because it makes him more "Soccer" than is he were pure American. When I was in Ireland, they continuosly put Donovan down and when I asked them if they ever actually seen him play theor response was always the same: " I don't have to". They don't think our strikers have the creativity and footwork of the rest of the world. If I thought I was deserving of a starting spot and they simply never played me, I'm pretty sure I'd go elsewhere to. Anyways, hopefully he will get a chance to dosplay his talents in the World Cup.
I personally just don't see Donovan as being good enough to play in Europe. I think he is way overhyped in this country because he has the look the advertisers like. Sure, he is a good player but he is not world class. He could never do what players like Reyna and McBride have done in England.
I personally just don't see Donovan as being good enough to play in Europe. I think he is way overhyped in this country because he has the look the advertisers like. Sure, he is a good player but he is not world class. He could never do what players like Reyna and McBride have done in England.
Nah, but we can't say for sure until he tries. I think he should try to join up with an English Championship side after the WC and see how he does at that level, or maybe play in Scotland, and see how he does there. A year or two in England's 2nd flight will tell the tale; it has for Convey and Hanneman.By the way, I think Hanneman gets in if Keller gets hurt, and Convey scores at least 2 goals, and Reading has to fight to keep him away from the big clubs at the top of the Premiership.
Nah, but we can't say for sure until he tries. I think he should try to join up with an English Championship side after the WC and see how he does at that level, or maybe play in Scotland, and see how he does there. A year or two in England's 2nd flight will tell the tale; it has for Convey and Hanneman.By the way, I think Hanneman gets in if Keller gets hurt, and Convey scores at least 2 goals, and Reading has to fight to keep him away from the big clubs at the top of the Premiership.
I would love to see him try to catch on with a Championship side. I doubt he will do it though. I don't know if he has the drive or ambition to see how good he can be in Europe and I doubt he would have the success that Convey is having.
I have to disagree with you guys....I think the USA has a good chance to win their group if they can beat the Czech Republic.Sweden will not make it past the 16.
Heh you're only slightly biased there? Sweden has a better team than USA, an easier group and more merited players and better world cup history. Yet you say USA has a good chance to win the group and potentially get in the final 16 where as Sweden doesn't.Bias or no bias;In their current group they're second favourites behind England (despite not having lost a single match against England in decades).I think second place in Sweden's group will play first in group A which is likely to be Germany (who have a relatively average side at the moment with Ballack as the only star-outfield player) or Poland.Personally I'll be surprised if USA make it out of the group stages with Ghana, Czech rep and Italy there.
Heh you're only slightly biased there? Sweden has a better team than USA
Nah. That was our 2/3 strength side that beat Poland in Europe, and our 1/6 strength that held Germany's WC side to one goal for 70 mins.
an easier group and more merited players and better world cup history.
True. I've changed my mind about Sweden, especially considering the relative weakness of their potential schedule. USA will win some hearts this time around though, you'll see.
Nah. That was our 2/3 strength side that beat Poland in Europe, and our 1/6 strength that held Germany's WC side to one goal for 70 mins.
I'm not sure how that makes USA's current team better than Sweden :club: Your two best players are in lower table premier teams. Sweden's best have been league winners/are current league winners in the premier, la liga and serie a. In-form first team members of Arsenal, Juventus and Barcelona attacking forces (two of which are playing in CL finals next week) vs. Man city and Fulham.I'm just putting some things into perspective, but there's by no means a big gap between the two sides. they're quite even but I know who I'd put my money on. The ball is round though, if I lose I lose :)actually I don't want to place any bets! Any sportsbets I place go the other way.