Being A Bad Gambler (relatively Long)

So I was at Foxwoods on Monday to play some more 20/40. I got there at about 8:50AM and put my name on the list (I was second.) I got my chips and went over to the one table that was going at the time. I watched this game for quite awhile and there were two or three guys that were very good (I had seen them there before) and the table didn't look nearly as appetizing as it has the past few weeks. To be honest, I didn't have a great feeling about things. After about an hour, I noticed that the list for 20/40 was up to 6 and I heard they were going to start another table. Sweet. So they open another table and it is filled with donkeys. Alot of much older guys and absolutely nobody that was intimidating by their style of play. This table is also full very quickly. So, to make a long story short, I started on a rush and I'm up $435 after only about 2-2.5 hours. At that point, I'm told that I have to move to the other table. Evidently, they have to keep the "original" table full at all times and to do that, they go by the original wait list and the guy in front of me had already been moved.It is at this point that I know now (and knew at the time) that I should have taken my chips and headed home. I knew the game would be way more difficult, but I thought it would be "good for my game" to try and beat it. Well, in another few hours I was now down $190 (not from the high of +$435, mind you, but down $190 overall.) There were 2 or 3 very tricky, very LAG players and it caused me to play very poorly. Anyway, I left.I guess my question is, under similar circumstances, who could walk away from this situation. I know now that if this situation comes up again, I'll definitely leave. I just found it really hard to do, even knowing that I was probably walking into a buzzsaw...Sorry this was so long, but I thought it might initiate some conversation.

You obviously had misgivings about the first table, you should not have played. You could have blinded yourself out and come back saying "ooOoOo my gf's dog's cousin died," and re-entered the list for the feeder table that you felt comfortable playing at.

You obviously had misgivings about the first table, you should not have played. You could have blinded yourself out and come back saying "ooOoOo my gf's dog's cousin died," and re-entered the list for the feeder table that you felt comfortable playing at.
I agree but why give an excuse? It's not like he needs to give them an excuse for leaving. I would only feel bad if I just took down a monster pot.

Yeah, you definitely should have walked away at that point. If you have a bad feeling about a certain table and feel like the players are better than you, then theve got you half-beat already and this can never be good for your bankroll. By the way, Ive never heard of this rule. Anyone else know anything about it???

Its called the 'main game table'. Lots of places have it and it is basically to insure that there is always one full ring game going in the event that one table breaks up.btw, I too find game selection to be much more difficult in a B&M. Its like, youre there, thats the game being played, either play or go home. Bad attitude I guess.

Its called the 'main game table'. Lots of places have it and it is basically to insure that there is always one full ring game going in the event that one table breaks up.btw, I too find game selection to be much more difficult in a B&M. Its like, youre there, thats the game being played, either play or go home. Bad attitude I guess.
I think it would have been easier if I hadn't had to wait so long to get in the game in the first place. Also, I drive 2 hours to get there. I guess the move would have been to leave and grab something to eat and then come back and see if I could get back into the good game. Oh, well.

Could you have cashed out from the fishy table, come back in a little while when the tough table filled up and get a seat back in the fishy game? Then you'd be the last one moved to the tough table. Seems too simple so I'm guessing no.

You only lost 5 BB. Seems to me that you left at the right time. What's the problem exactly? It's not like you were killing the easier game or anything. A 14 BB swing is nothing.
It's not like there's any problem. I realize the swings mean nothing. It was just a story about what happened to me and how I could have and should have handled it better. I thought it would spur some conversation about similar experiences other people have had. I guess I just posted because I learned something from the experience and I thought someone else might, too.
It's not like there's any problem. I realize the swings mean nothing. It was just a story about what happened to me and how I could have and should have handled it better. I thought it would spur some conversation about similar experiences other people have had. I guess I just posted because I learned something from the experience and I thought someone else might, too.
It took me a few trips to the B&M to figure this bit out as well, no worries dude. Next time you'll go fishing in the right pond all day long, rather than casting your line into the septic tank halfway through and hoping you catch something.If you know what to look for, you know how to avoid it. <---(my grammar has never been worse than right here, right now, I blame the beer).Monty

Yeah I've had the same kind of situation arise in the NL games where I play. Sometimes they're listed as "must move," sometimes it just works out that way. I've gotten up from a tougher table before gone and had a sandwich or something then come back and put myself back on the list for the feeder table. The floorman just kind of gave me a knowing grin and didn't say word. I'm guessing if I did that a lot they may say something to me about it, but as an occasional tactic, I shouldn't have a problem, especially since I tip above average.

I've played at rooms where they keep the main table full however they usually asked who wants to move first. Then failing any volunteers they move people that just got seated, not the guy who's been sitting in the same seat for hours.I happen to be a jerk and probably would have looked at the floorperson crooked, cashed out and went elsewhere if I didn't want to play at the main table

With the bazillion tables that Foxwoods has, why not just find another game in a limit just below or just above the one you wanted? I'd rather play a little higher or a little lower at a juicy game than grind it out against tough players at my preferred limit. A juicy 10-20 or 15-30 game will be much profitable than a tough 20-40 game. From there, you can always request a table change to the juicy table after an hour or two if you still want to play 20-40.

I was in the 2 seat from the time it opened on monday till about 9 pm.
Are you serious? You weren't the guy that whined about bad beats the whole time (especially to the black kid in the 3 or 4 seat) and almost got in a fight with the LAG, very good player in the 8 seat, were you? I can't remember if he/you were in 1 or 2. I think he was 1. What do/did you look like? I wore a redsox hat and probably looked like a deer in headlights. lol... Oh yeah, and I kept talking about how I wanted to move back to the other table.
I've played at rooms where they keep the main table full however they usually asked who wants to move first. Then failing any volunteers they move people that just got seated, not the guy who's been sitting in the same seat for hours.I happen to be a jerk and probably would have looked at the floorperson crooked, cashed out and went elsewhere if I didn't want to play at the main table
This is the rule where I play to. They always have to keep the "main game" full but do so on a volunteer basis if no one volunteers from the 2nd game then they'll fill it from the waiting list, if their is no list and no one wants to move then the newest member of the 2nd game gets moved. Next time if this happens again and you don't want to move ask if they can move someone else or take someone off the list.And yes game selection is key.

Na I didnt talk to seat 4 that much but there mightve been a little whining, that was like 36 long hour frustrating session.Didn't do any arguing with anyone though, you must be thinkin of the other guy. I remember seat 4 was beating seat 1 out of every pot they played pretty much but I dont think he was really whining about it., just frustrated. Ive played with him alot and he took alot of beats that day but he handled it pretty well.