Played Hand Poorly?

So I was playing a freezeout last night where we each had starting chips of 1000!1 player gone, it was down to 5 handed and I got dealt aq on the button.With blinds at 20/40 the player under the gun raised to 140, fella beside him called and i (with about 2600 in front of me) made it 300 to go.Heres where it starts getting confusing. The original raiser folds after the blinds fold but the fella that flat called goes all in leaving me with a decision whether to call an extra 950 with about 850 already in the pot.So this guy has flat called a raise and then re-re-raised all in to a re-raise.Now my main problem here is that the guy pulls this move is also a guy I've been teaching pretty much. He looks for advice from me and would normally avoid getting involved in big hands with me.Since I teach him a bit he also knows that I play tight & aggresive so in order for me to have made the re-raise I must be fairly strong, its not the type of move I'd make with a weak hand.So after thinking about it for a few mins, I'm still baffled by his play. The best I can get is a race if he had jacks or lower but I'm just convinced that he wouldn't have made that move on me.If I thought he had a hand like that I'm obviously calling as the pot is pretty big and i'd still have about 1500 in chips left even if i lost or 4000 or so if i won!So eventually I come to the conclusion that he must surely be holding ak, aa, kk or qq and dominating me with either of them so i make the lay down and ask to see a quick flop anyway. I would have hit the queen on the flop.That was the beginning of the end of my night and I ended up third with the fella that made the move on me winning. That hand annoyed me pretty much the whole night and I suppose I would have been best just continueing without seeing the flop.My friend later revealed to me after the game that he was holding jj. Gutted! :club: But did I make the correct decision given the circumstances?

I'd say you played it right. I don't think that laydown cost you the night, since that still had to leave you top 2 or 3 in chips at that point with 2300. Have you taight him the squeeze play? Maybe he figured you for that, or maybe he knew you wouldn't want a race at that point.

SWith blinds at 20/40 the player under the gun raised to 140, fella beside him called and i (with about 2600 in front of me) made it 300 to go.
What does your raise (which is basically a min-raise) achieve??? If you feel you have the best hand and want to raise to a.) define your hand, b.) build a pot, then you should be raising to between $400 and $600 (I'd probably raise to $500 straight if I was going to raise). Your min-raise does nothing except open the betting back up. If your goal is to take flops in position then you should just call the original raise.
I'd say you played it right. I don't think that laydown cost you the night, since that still had to leave you top 2 or 3 in chips at that point with 2300. Have you taight him the squeeze play? Maybe he figured you for that, or maybe he knew you wouldn't want a race at that point.
I hadn't taught him the squeeze play as it's not something I use too much myself!I had alot of chips left alright but I mean it cost me the night in the way I over-analysed tha hand afterwards in my head. It really affected my play.I had being playing very well before that and that hand was the beginning of me making simple mistakes
What does your raise (which is basically a min-raise) achieve??? If you feel you have the best hand and want to raise to a.) define your hand, b.) build a pot, then you should be raising to between $400 and $600 (I'd probably raise to $500 straight if I was going to raise). Your min-raise does nothing except open the betting back up. If your goal is to take flops in position then you should just call the original raise.
Cheers for the reponse, good points well made!I guess I don't really have an answer for that as the more I think about it, you are right I should have raised more.Will learn from the experience
I hadn't taught him the squeeze play as it's not something I use too much myself!I had alot of chips left alright but I mean it cost me the night in the way I over-analysed tha hand afterwards in my head. It really affected my play.I had being playing very well before that and that hand was the beginning of me making simple mistakes
Do you play golf?One Shot, One Hole, One Round...Forget about it as soon as you MUCK!
Do you play golf?One Shot, One Hole, One Round...Forget about it as soon as you MUCK!
I know, I know!I simply lost my concentration. Had it been anyone else I think I would have easily forgotten about it.But as I said, can only learn from the experience
Cheers for the reponse, good points well made!I guess I don't really have an answer for that as the more I think about it, you are right I should have raised more.Will learn from the experience
no need for the reraise preflop. just call. my second option would be fold. my third would be move all-in. my last would be to reraise the minimum amount.

I think you shouldn't ask for them to run out the flop after you make such decisions... if you didn't see the queen you probably wouldn't have second guessed yourself as much....As soon as you fold its over... the cards that would have come means nothing.... you made your choice, you had reasons for it... so wait for the next hand. Instead you probably dwelled on that hand and it could have adversely affected your subsequent decisons.In the end you put him on a hand that beat you and made the laydown and it didn't cost you too much.

Where did I say I was excited? [insert confused smiley here]

no need for the reraise preflop. just call. my second option would be fold. my third would be move all-in. my last would be to reraise the minimum amount.
It's 5 handed so aq is going to be pretty strong!To have a second option of folding after flat calling is a bit ridiculous imo!As I said, I agree with benhoug, his points were well made!I should have raised more & I certainly shouldnt have asked to see what the flop would have been.I got caught up with who was raising me more than anything else
Where did I say I was excited? [insert confused smiley here]It's 5 handed so aq is going to be pretty strong!To have a second option of folding after flat calling is a bit ridiculous imo!As I said, I agree with benhoug, his points were well made!I should have raised more & I certainly shouldnt have asked to see what the flop would have been.I got caught up with who was raising me more than anything else
:generally excitable faces are made like this:
:club: you're kidding right?
He doesn't kid about exclamation marks.Is it exclamation mark or point?I'm never sure.Maybe both are acceptable.What were you guys talking about again?
:club: you're kidding right?
You just seemed really excited about starting with 1000 chips. Why else would you put an exclamation point there? It's a little confusing.
He doesn't kid about exclamation marks.Is it exclamation mark or point?I'm never sure.Maybe both are acceptable.What were you guys talking about again?
It's point.
Call me tight, but I rarely think AQ is good enough to re-raise a bettor in NL. Unless the person is a total maniac.
You're tight.But correct. Especially if you are re-raising the minimum.
It's point.
exclamation mark noun [C] (US exclamation point)the ! punctuation mark that is written immediately after an exclamationI wondered why the OP was using one in the first line too, but looking at his later comments I'm guessing he's just compulsive.
exclamation mark noun [C] (US exclamation point)the ! punctuation mark that is written immediately after an exclamationI wondered why the OP was using one in the first line too, but looking at his later comments I'm guessing he's just compulsive.
I like you already.
Call me tight, but I rarely think AQ is good enough to re-raise a bettor in NL. Unless the person is a total maniac.
Depends to me, if i am after the other betters AQ off suit, smooth call. if i am after the other betters , AQ suited would get a 3-4 times raise.Anyone after me, smooth call.
The smaller the game gets, the more players loosen up a bit raising with hands they wouln't have before.The original raiser folded, meaning he couldnt have been that strong!As for the exclamation guy above, sometimes I use them in sentences!So shoot me!No one else started having a go at my grammar. What you think I was having a wank at the fact we started with 1000 chips?Or you just wanted to have a petty dig for no reason and that was the best angle you could come up with?I'd say the latter. Well done though, it was brilliant :club: Responses like yours are exactly why today was my first post on the forum.I've been lurking for a few months but the amount of tossers on here is unbelievable!Again thanks to all who responded with insightful views to the original question.I'm off to play the same game tonight again and this times it's on!