national heads up poker championship

64 players will start play tomorrow in the first ever NHUPC event that will air on NBC starting May 7th. Below are the brackets for the event: :) Eli ElezraChris MoneymakerTom McEvoyMimi TranCindy VioletteChris FergusonGus HansenCurtis BibbsYosh NakanoMike SextonTodd BrunsonErick LindgrenPrahlad FriedmanSammy Farha :D Barry GreensteinLee SalemDoyle BrunsonBilly BaxterJohn JuandaChau GiangAmir VahediJohn MyungNick FrangosTJ CloutierScotty NguyenMike CaroJohn HenniganLayne FlackChip Reese Henry Orenstein :) Lyle BermanFreddie DeebDavid GreyJennifer HarmanBobby BaldwinEvelyn NgDavid WilliamsCarlos MortensonGreg RaymerKathy LiebertDavid PhamHuck SeedDewey TomkoPaul PhillipsPhil HellmuthMen Nguyen :) Josh AriehReneTed ForrestJohn CernuttoJerry BussDaniel NegreanuHoward LedererAntonio EsfandiariPhil IveyDavid SklanskyJames Woods Johnny ChanScott FischmanAnnie DukeDennis WagnerErik Seidel

Here's my breakdown for Daniel's bracket the way I think it may go.Josh Arieh def. ReneTed Forrest def. John CernuttoDaniel Negreanu def. Jerry BussHoward Lederer def. Antonio EsfandiariPhil Ivey def. David SklanskyJohnny Chan def. James WoodsScott Fischman def. Annie DukeErik Seidel def. Dennis WagnerRound 2.Ted Forrest def. Josh AriehDaniel Negreanu def. Howard LedererPhil Ivey def. Johnny ChanErik Seidel def. Scott FishmanRound 3.Daniel Negreanu def. Ted ForrestPhil Ivey def. Erik SeidelElite 8.Daniel Negreanu vs. Phil IveyThen you have the classic question that's been asked before... Who would win heads up, Ivey or Daniel?

time to give some picks on down the line. These are some great names. Its a real shame only a total of five hours of air time will happenEli Elezra Chris MoneymakerEli I'm sorry but this might not even be much of a contest. Eli is a high stakes player who plays with the best, Chirs just doesn't have that type of experience and as Eli proved on the WPt he certainly has got some serious HU skillz and is very sneakyTom McEvoy Mimi TranMimiMcEvoy is probably too tight for this setup and Mimi has Barry Greenstein as her teacher, can't do much betterCindy Violette Chris Ferguson JesusHoldem isn't Cyndy's forte. She is probably the best stud player not named Ted Forrest, but this isn't stud and Jesus is a great NLHE playerGus Hansen Curtis Bibbs GusGus' tournament record speaks for itself. I don't really need to say much moreYosh Nakano Mike Sexton YoshMike doesn't play as much as he would like to and that will effect him against a player of Yosh's skillTodd Brunson Erick LindgrenEdogI'm a fan of EDog, sue me. I want to see him win here Prahlad Friedman Sammy Farha Spirit RockSammy more than likely won't win this one, Spirit Rock will pull out his Buzzsaw style and it will be impressive Barry Greenstein Lee Salem BarryLee's a great player, but Barry is one of the bestDoyle Brunson Billy Baxter DoyleBilly Baxter is probably the greatest ever Tournament lowball player ever, expcept this is NLHE and guess who one of the best out there in NLHE is, yup Doyle. Doyle could very well carve him up here, could be very bloodyJohn Juanda Chau Giang Johnwill be a good one that could go either way, but my feeling is that john will pull throughAmir Vahedi John Myung Myungoly an upset in that people don't know how good John is. Amir has a propensity to overplay hands and will either win this fast or crash fast. I think John is too solid to let Amir bully himNick Frangos TJ CloutierTJTJ has to be a sentimental favorite here for a number of reasons. You do have to wonder if everything that is going on with his brother will effect his game, Big Nicky is no pushover and could pull off an upset because of some of the extenuating circumstancces going on with TJ right nowScotty Nguyen Mike Caro ScottyHe's gonna win Baby. Caro isn't a HE player for the most partJohn Hennigan Layne Flack LayneJohnny world got a bad draw here. Layne is in a class by himself when it comes to HU NLHE, I'd even rate Layne to be one of the Faves to win the whole thingChip Reese Henry Orenstein ChipI don't know how good Henry is, but chip is Chip. His bad luck in Holdem Tournies has to end at some point, right? Lyle Berman Freddie DeebFreddieLyle's buisness ventures limit his play and against a player like Deeb he'll have a hard time shaking off the rust David Grey Jennifer Harman JenShe's too good here. David belongs, but Jen should be able to do itBobby Baldwin Evelyn Ng BaldwnThis is a bad draw for Evelyn, she's up against a legend. Even though he may not be in his best playing shape, he's still Bobby Baldwin and even a rusty Bobby Baldwin is better than 98% of the Poker players out thereDavid Williams Carlos Mortenson CarlosI really like David, but carlos is just too good. I hate rooting against David and so even though Carlos is my pick, I do hope that David winsGreg Raymer Kathy Liebert Raymera little bit of a surprise, yeah. I just want to see him do well,and I really feel that Kathy got lucky tonight that Layne overplayed his Ace high when she had trip kings. She was for the most part outclassed by Layne HU and it was that one mistake he made that really did it for her. I think the Fossilman will do wellDavid Pham Huck Seed Huckif Huck is on his game here very few will be able to beat him without some luck. If huck isn't feeling it then the Dragon could very well dispatch him fastDewey Tomko Paul Phillips Deweythis plays more into I feel that Paul hasn't played that much recently because of his first child being on the way. His mind could very well be on more important things. That being said it'll be nice to see these two go HU again but with even chips stacks as opposed to the great disparity that they were last time at teh BellagioPhil Hellmuth Men Nguyen PhilHoldem is Phil's game and this isn't stud(in which i would give it to Men). This should be a good one to watch Josh Arieh Rene JoshI don't know who the other guy is and josh has a WSOP bracelet so he can definetly win some HUTed Forrest John CernuttoTedthis is another tough one IMO. If Ted is on his game here I think he can definetly win this, but Miami John is certainly no walkover in the slightest, its just thatTed is such a great player Jerry Buss Daniel Negreanu DanielJerry Buss is a good player and Daniel will show him respect, but seriously Daneil this is as close to a walk in the first round that you can get. I just keep on thinking about how Layne kept on punishing poor Jerry Howard Lederer Antonio Esfandiari HowardI'll go with Howard here as Antonio can put himself in situations by overplaying a hand. Howard is just too patient I feel for Antonio's explosive style to rattle himPhil Ivey David SklanskyIveyreally this one could go either way. I'm just going for Phil as he probably has more recent experience at NLHE HU. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see Davd win though James Woods Johnny Chan Chanjames is a good player, but this is something that Johnny is great at. I think he even owns a matchplay WSOP braceletScott Fischman Annie Duke AnnieScott could overplay a few hands and Annie will punish himDennis Wagner Erik SeidelSeidelI don't know eric's opponent, and Eric Seidel is one of the best out therethere are my picks for the first round. I'm not gonna try the bracketing

Looks lik the first bracket is short a pairing. Humberto Brenes vs. Dan Harrington? They are the only two I can think of that seem left out. Anyway here's my picks for the final 4:Erick Lindgren vs.TJ Cloutier Carlos Mortenson vs.Daniel Negreanu I'd go with TJ and Daniel and then I'm in a real quandy. I just can't pick against either of those two greats. I might be giving TJ too much credit but I really think he's one of the best heads-up players in the world. He didn't win all those tournaments by not being able to finish.

Eli Elezra Chris Moneymaker ELI, Chris is over-ratedTom McEvoy Mimi Tran Tom, Mimi is tough but I give the edge to McEvoyCindy Violette Chris Ferguson C'Mon Jesus will kill CindyGus Hansen Curtis Bibbs Gus is taking this oneYosh Nakano Mike Sexton Yoshi Nakano is gonna win over MikeTodd Brunson Erick LindgrenEDOG for Sure! Prahlad Friedman Sammy Farha I like SAMMY on this but its going to be a good matchup Barry Greenstein Lee Salem Barry is too solidDoyle Brunson Billy Baxter Billy, Doyle thens to overplay a bunch of hands of lateJohn Juanda Chau Giang John, I like this matchup alotAmir Vahedi John Myung John is more patience, Amir is too wild Nick Frangos TJ Cloutier TJ is a lockScotty Nguyen Mike Caro Scotty will mop the floor with the mad ginusJohn Hennigan Layne Flack I like Layne, but a great matchup neverthelessChip Reese Henry Orenstein Chip Reese because I dont really know Henry O Lyle Berman Freddie Deeb Freddy Deeb should winDavid Grey Jennifer Harman David Grey over HarmanBobby Baldwin Evelyn Ng Bobby, Evelyn Ng hasn't done much recentlyDavid Williams Carlos Mortenson I like David in this matchupGreg Raymer Kathy Liebert Greg is gonna get lucky again and catch a bunch of cardsDavid Pham Huck Seed The Dragon who elseDewey Tomko Paul Phillips Paul is younger so I go with PaulPhil Hellmuth Men Nguyen My favorite brat Phil! Josh Arieh Rene Josh the bad boy of pokerTed Forrest John Cernutto Ted Forrest and his lucky HATJerry Buss Daniel Negreanu DANIEL IS GOING ALL THE WAYHoward Lederer Antonio Esfandiari Howard will school AntonioPhil Ivey David Sklansky Phil Ivey is a machine and will crush the human calculatorJames Woods Johnny Chan Oriental EXPRESS babyScott Fischman Annie Duke SCOTT, i don't like Annie DukeDennis Wagner Erik SeidelErik for old times

I like sports gambling so i'm not going with all the favorites.my 4 underdog picksLiebert over RaymerMoneymaker over EliWagner over SeidelWoods over ChanKeep track...I'm going 4-0 on this one :-)

You're missing a couple players.  The "Spades Brackets" has only 7 pairings.
Maybe the Spades bracket has the option for online player voting!I'd vote for Dan Harrington vs. Smash!Winner gets Red Sox season tickets and the loser has to wear a goofy green Red Sox hat.

Odds to win 2005 National Heads-Up Poker ChampionshipDaniel Negreanu, 9/1Scott Fischman, 12/1Gus Hansen, 12/1Phil Ivey, 12/1John Juanda, 12/1Erick Lindgren, 12/1Howard Lederer, 12/1Scotty Nguyen, 18/1Chau Giang, 18/1Johnny Chan, 18/1Doyle Brunson, 18/1Men Nguyen, 18/1Phil Hellmuth, 22/1Greg Raymer, 24/1David Williams, 24/1Amir Vahedi, 24/1Josh Arieh, 24/1Ted Forrest, 24/1Chris Ferguson, 28/1Antonio Esfandiari, 28/1Paul Phillips, 28/1Phil Gordon, 28/1Mike Sexton, 30/1Annie Duke, 30/1Barry Greenstein, 20/1Chip Reese, 20/1Jennifer Harman, 20/1Erik Seidel, 30/1 T.J. Cloutier, 35/1 Mike Caro, 35/1 Layne Flack, 35/1 Sammy Farha, 35/1 Freddy Deeb, 35/1 Huck Seed, 40/1David Sklansky, 38/1 Tom McEvoy, 40/1 David Pham, 24/1 Dewey Tomko, 40/1 Lyle Berman, 40/1 John Cernuto, 40/1 Carlos Mortenson, 36/1 David Grey, 40/1 Kathy Liebert, 45/1Cindy Violette, 45/1Hassan Habib, 45/1Bobby Baldwin, 45/1Henry Orenstein, 45/1 Prahlad Friedman, 42/1Rene Angelil, 55/1John Hennigan, 25/1 Billy Baxter, 55/1 Jerry Buss, 55/1 Mimi Tran, 25/1 Todd Brunson, 40/1 Evelyn Ng, 65/1 Chris Moneymaker, 60/1Dennis Wager, 65/1 Lee Salem, 25/1 Yosh Nakano, 65/1 Nick Frangos, 70/1 John Myung, 75/1 Eli Elezra, 30/1 Curtis Bibb, 68/1 James Woods, 75/1 Field (Any Other Player), 25/1

I'm guessing that is Rene as in Celine Dion's husband, just a guess.
Long as we're guessing, I'm going to say that it's former (Current?) World's Strongest Man competitor Rene Minkwitz. :lol:And can anyone give me information on John Myung? I've seen his name as the winner of one of the preliminary events during one of the WPT Foxwoods events, but other than presuming it's not the same John Myung who plays bass for Dream Theater, anyone know anything else about him?

I am pretty much in agreement with KDawgCometh’s picks, but with the following exceptions:I think Paul Phillips and David Pham will win their matches. Flack vs Hennigan, Juanda vs Gaing and Brunson vs Lindgren are going to be tough matches, but I still agree with KDawgCometh on the outcomes.Ivey vs Sklansky has to be the most interesting match.Daniel vs Jerry Buss is the biggest mismatch of the day. This could work against Daniel however—anytime you have a huge favorite over a big underdog, weird things can happen.

So it is Celine Dion's husband then? Boo, I was hoping to see Rene Minkwitz just grab Arieh and do a few power lifts with him. And while you shouldn't take anything for granted, I have to agree that on paper, Daniel has probably the easiest first-round matchup (Though it's possible Buss has improved his game since we last saw him on TV).

I'm guessing that is Rene as in Celine Dion's husband, just a guess.
Long as we're guessing, I'm going to say that it's former (Current?) World's Strongest Man competitor Rene Minkwitz. :lol:And can anyone give me information on John Myung? I've seen his name as the winner of one of the preliminary events during one of the WPT Foxwoods events, but other than presuming it's not the same John Myung who plays bass for Dream Theater, anyone know anything else about him?
John Myung is an AC pro around 30 who won the Showdown at the Sands. He's real good and he's patient so that will neutralize Amir's tendencies for big pots and big bluffs

ok, now that it not 3 in the morning I'll do the rest of the bracketssecond round Eli Elezra vs Phil Gordon(I just think Phil will beat Hasan)-Phil, this one could be explosvieMimiTranvs Jesus-don't mess with the JesusJesusvs.Phil-Phil(I really like Philly G)Gus vs Yosh Nakano-Gus, his crazy style works great HUEDog vs Spirit Rock-EDog, I'd like to say Prahalad, but I like Erick here. Battle of the internet millionairesGus vs Edog-Edog, I like his patience here. He can also handle the extremely wilde players tooto reach the final fourEDog vs Phil G-EDog, I tossed a coin on this one. This could be a great matchup and honestly could go either waynext group:Barry vs Doyle-this one is sooo tough, I'm gonna go for Doyle with the experience factor here. could be epicJuanda vs Myung-John. lol okay Juanda. Myung will make a great showing against Amir and will be tough for Juanda, but John J will prevailJuanda vs Doyle-I hate picking this one. I'm Gonna say Juanda as his style will work hereTJ vs Scotty- TJ. This should've been the final two in 98 so now we get the matchup. With even chips(Scotty had a stack and a half in 98) I like TJLayne vs Chip-Layne. Remember what I said about Chip getting unlucky in Holdem tournies, yup that'll happen hereTJ vs Layne-Layne. I really want TJ to win, but anytime I've seen Layne HU he is normally controlling the tempo, even when he lost at foxwoods to Howardwinner of the bracketLayne vs Juanda-Layne. Like I've said I really feel Layne is a fav to win this whole thingnext group:Freddie Deeb vs Jen Harmon-Jen. I like them both, but I like Jen moreBobby Baldwin vs Carlos Mortensen-Carlos. This is where Bobby's rust will effect him. Carlos is all action. Bobby without the rust would win itCarlos vs Jen-Carlos. Once Carlos gets a head of steam going, like hewill here, he is near impossible to stopRaymer vs Huck-I'll go with Huck here with the understanding that if Huck isn'tt on point Raymer will whale him. Raymer has never played a player like Huck and Huck willbe too much for Greg, if huck is on point, which is a big ifDewey vs Hellmuth- Hellmuth. This is a battle of who will try to be tighter when push comes to shove. lol. I like Phil herePhil vs Huck-a battle of friends, doncha like these. I'll go with Hellmuth. For as much crap he gets, he's still greatgroup winner:Phil vs Carlos-Phil here. But if Carlos suckout then Carlos as Phil will go Ballistic, and this is a possibilityfinal group:Josh Arieh vs Ted Forrest- Ted. Josh is good and he will win a bunch of tournaments, but not today against Ted ForrestDaniel vs Howard-Daniel. Yeah I'm a Homer, sue meTed vs Daniel-Daniel. see above. No this also goes into the fact that Ted will finally be up against a better Holdem player then himIvey vs Chan-Chan. This will be a great epic battle, but Johnny is a master at Heads Up Annie vs Seidel-Seidel. I just want to see the 88 HU againChan vs Seidel-Chan. 17 years later same result. I'd like to see the same hand happen again too, lolGroup winnerDaniel vs Chan-sorry Daniel, Johnny Chan. Like I've said Johnny Chan is the master of HU and this will be a grat one to watch, could be a long one too as both are patient and both will play "funny cards" to fool the other. This will be a treatFinal FourChanHellmuthLayneEDogfor the matchups I'd like to see Layne vs EDog and Chan vs Hellmuth. Chan and Phil have gone up agaisnt each other so many times it'll be a great matchup. Really they should Round Robin the final four and the best point winners meet in the final

Does anyone know how the matchups were picked? It seems to me that the pros who are always on tv and most notable are matched up with another player who may not be as well known to an audience watching on NBC (for the most part). Were there seded players or was it all random?