Puggy Pearson Dead At 77

12-lg.jpghttp://sports.espn.go.com/espn/poker/news/story?id=2408564Poker has lost one of its true legends. Inducted into the Poker Hall of Fame in 1987, Walter Clyde "Puggy" Pearson died April 12 at the age of 77.Pearson played in the first World Series of Poker in 1970 and won the event in 1973 for a $10,000 first prize.Many do not know about his influence on the game. Pearson created the freeze-out tournament structure that the majority of players play today. In the freeze-out structure, players receive only one starting stack of chips and once they bust out, their tournament is over. In 1972, the freeze-out became the format for the World Series of Poker.Even in childhood, Pearson was seen as a gambler, an innovator and a risk-taker.As one of 10 children, Pearson left school at age 10 to help his family in Tennessee. Around that time, Pearson was showing some friends his newfound talent of walking on his hands. Some floorboards gave way, causing Pearson to fall, hitting the ground face-first. His nose, flattened by the fall, was the inspiration for his famous nickname "Puggy."Pearson was also known for his sense of humor and provided one of the best poker quotes in history: "I'll play any man from any land any game he can name for any amount he can count ... provided I like it." Professional poker player Mark Seif spoke to the poker great only a few times but took a tremendous amount away from the colorful character."Puggy once said, 'The best thing a poker player can do is find a great woman. It will take his game to new levels.' I did that and found he was absolutely right."Seif heeded Pearson's advice and recently tied the knot. "Puggy kept things in perspective," Seif said. "He knew how important it was to control your inner demons. He was a smart man."Pearson will be missed in poker circles, especially the final table of the WSOP main event, where he routinely sang prior to the beinning of the final day of play.Pearson was born Jan. 29, 1929, in Adairville, Ky. He is survived by his companion of 16 years, Simin Habibian of Las Vegas; his daughter, Andrea Elaine Phelan of Nashville, Tenn.; a son, Stephen Mark Pearson of Las Vegas; one grandson, Walter Frank Phelan of Nashville; a brother, J.C. Pearson of Las Vegas; and two sisters, Bobbie Jean Bailey of Florida and Gladys Gracie Pearson of Clarksville, Tenn.

RIP Puggy...However, I'm confused on something...wasn't the buy in to the WSOP always 10k? So, why was first place only 10k in 1973? Inflation?Seems like a -EV situation if I ever heard of one...

Phil Hellmuth is probably crushed, he and Puggy were great friends.Phil made sure that Puggy sang his song at the beginning of the WSOP ME final table this past year. They almost forgot.RIP Puggy, poker will miss you.