Betting Into A Dry Side Pot, Online Sngs

I still don't get this phenomena. With one player all-in and HU against one other player. online players I see often will make a minimum or small bet into a dry side pot with something like 8 high instead of just checking it down. I don't get this yet I see it constantly...must be in a book somewhere.

I still don't get this phenomena. With one player all-in and HU against one other player. online players I see often will make a minimum or small bet into a dry side pot with something like 8 high instead of just checking it down. I don't get this yet I see it constantly...must be A BUNCH OF DONKS ONLINE.
fyp
I still don't get this phenomena. With one player all-in and HU against one other player. online players I see often will make a minimum or small bet into a dry side pot with something like 8 high instead of just checking it down. I don't get this yet I see it constantly...must be in a book somewhere.
If there's a "Book of being a Retard".... then yes, I bet they covered it.Outside of that... Then they don't read books, they're just idiots.

I'm not going to complain because the times it's helped me (when I'm the one all-in needing a miracle) vastly outnumber the times it's hurt me.

If there's a "Book of being a Retard".... then yes, I bet they covered it.Outside of that... Then they don't read books, they're just idiots.
This book surely exists somewhere. Lets write the other chapters shall we? Chapter 2: Min-raising: How to stand outChapter 3: buying in to NL ring for the minimum: You don't want to lose ALL your allowance do you?

I had an arguement about this last night while playing an MTT. There was one guy all-in preflop and me and another guy call. I had pocket queens the board was Jack high. I checked it down the whole way and on the river the guy throws out a bet. The board was kind of coordinated but it wasn't to much call, the guy flips over a rivered set. It made me laugh when the all-in guy flip over the nut flush.

I had an arguement about this last night while playing an MTT. There was one guy all-in preflop and me and another guy call. I had pocket queens the board was Jack high. I checked it down the whole way and on the river the guy throws out a bet. The board was kind of coordinated but it wasn't to much call, the guy flips over a rivered set. It made me laugh when the all-in guy flip over the nut flush.
You played this hand terribly, IMO.
You should be betting the flop.... you actually had the best hand!BLUFFING into a dry sidepot is not the same. :club:
What's so funny? You allowed a weaker hand do draw out on you, and then when your opponent hit their set they extracted extra chips out of you. Sounds to me like a bet earlier in the hand would have driven them out giving you a higher likelihood of eventually winning the entire pot. I would say your play was pretty bad, while the person who hit the set played about right.
What's so funny? You allowed a weaker hand do draw out on you, and then when your opponent hit their set they extracted extra chips out of you. Sounds to me like a bet earlier in the hand would have driven them out giving you a higher likelihood of eventually winning the entire pot. I would say your play was pretty bad, while the person who hit the set played about right.
i agree. :club:
I agree with you. But an over pair is far from the nuts so I don't bet it in a situation like that. I gave the guy the chance to draw out on me as I was more concerned about checking it down and eliminating the all-in. My mistake was paying him off on the river when it was in fact a coordonated board and all I had was an over pair. How do you play that? Do you bet the flop into a dry side pot in that situation? Personally on a board like that J10478(three clubs) I would only bet the river with the nut straight or nut flush. As I said I should've folded the river but I'm curious to know how you would've played the hand.
I agree with you. But an over pair is far from the nuts so I don't bet it in a situation like that. I gave the guy the chance to draw out on me as I was more concerned about checking it down and eliminating the all-in. My mistake was paying him off on the river when it was in fact a coordonated board and all I had was an over pair. How do you play that? Do you bet the flop into a dry side pot in that situation? Personally on a board like that J10478(three clubs) I would only bet the river with the nut straight or nut flush. As I said I should've folded the river but I'm curious to know how you would've played the hand.
We all just told you.Bet the flop!!!You don't need the nuts to bet... you just need the best hand. You had it!!

I think that bluffing into a dry side pot isn't really as big a deal as people make it out to be in SOME situations. If I'm playing an online MTT with 600+ players, and it's in the first level, then I don't see anything wrong with it. Let's say a shortstack goes all in, you call from the button with a hand like AQ and then the big blind calls as well. Then the flop comes all very low, something like 3,8,2 and the BB checks to you, if I put the all-in player on a hand like a weak ace, I would consider a bet here to drive him out and increase my chances to win the pot against the all-in. The reason being is that I don't give a **** whether or not the shortstack is eliminated or not, it doesn't matter cause we're so far away from the money.

If you bet the flop, you eliminate the dude that drew out on you, and more than likely take the pot down. You are too worried about eliminating one player in a MTT in a field of a few hundred, more than likely, than you are about chipping up and getting your money in when you have the goods. -EV.The board wasn't cordinated unil the turn and river, and the bottom set dude should have been long gone by then.
We all just told you.Bet the flop!!!You don't need the nuts to bet... you just need the best hand. You had it!!
I appreciate the advice. I often look at these situations like this I push player A out of the side pot with Q's. All-in guy flips up J10 for two pair while player A would've rivered the set and eliminated all-in guy. Even though this is weak play, I contend sometimes it is for the greater good but with that comes the consequence of exactly what happened. I've seen to many pots where someone pushed post flop and eliminated a hand that would've bumped them both up in the pay out.
I think that bluffing into a dry side pot isn't really as big a deal as people make it out to be in SOME situations. If I'm playing an online MTT with 600+ players, and it's in the first level, then I don't see anything wrong with it. Let's say a shortstack goes all in, you call from the button with a hand like AQ and then the big blind calls as well. Then the flop comes all very low, something like 3,8,2 and the BB checks to you, if I put the all-in player on a hand like a weak ace, I would consider a bet here to drive him out and increase my chances to win the pot against the all-in. The reason being is that I don't give a **** whether or not the shortstack is eliminated or not, it doesn't matter cause we're so far away from the money.
I agree- The checking down an all in player is overrated. Early in a MTT you have to play your hand on its merits. I never consider eliminating a player to be a priority short of the final table.
If you bet the flop, you eliminate the dude that drew out on you, and more than likely take the pot down. You are too worried about eliminating one player in a MTT in a field of a few hundred, more than likely, than you are about chipping up and getting your money in when you have the goods. -EV.The board wasn't cordinated unil the turn and river, and the bottom set dude should have been long gone by then.
I should clarify we were down to 100 people and on the next bubble level. But that shouldn't matter I see your point clearly and in retrospect is was very -EV especially when at that level in most mtt's you're not looking at big payouts. Sometimes in situations like that I lose track of the greater good(increasing my stack) and focus on moving up the payout scale.

I should clarify we were down to 100 people and on the next bubble level. But that shouldn't matter I see your point clearly and in retrospect is was very -EV especially when at that level in most mtt's you're not looking at big payouts. Sometimes in situations like that I lose track of the greater good(increasing my stack) and focus on moving up the payout scale.

Even more reason to bet this hand. Your goal should not be to move up from 100 to 99th spot. The only money of consequence is at the final table. your goal should be to keep building your chips, as you said. Eliminating a player when the are still 100 left is irrelevent. That thinking will lead to lots of poor decisions. You may make a loose call against a short stack to eliminate him. That is only ok if the odds make it ok, don't play to eliminate players. Bad players will eliminate themselves, your job is to accumalate chips.

I could link to the article here on this site, but this URL is shorter... :club:http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/a...d=13135&m_id=54Anyway, this sums it up to a large degree.Something I've wondered about, however, say you have 6 players left, and the BB is all in with $850 chips, and the blinds are $900. I've seen situations where two or three people call and then check it down (the more the better), and the BB ends up winning, say, $3400, at which point he may be back in the game. Whaddya think? Only call if you've got a good hand? Or try to knock the guy out as a group?I've seen that situation most often in tournaments like qualifiers where "The top X players go to the next round", but it also happens in normal tournaments.

I could link to the article here on this site, but this URL is shorter... :club:http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/a...d=13135&m_id=54Anyway, this sums it up to a large degree.Something I've wondered about, however, say you have 6 players left, and the BB is all in with $850 chips, and the blinds are $900. I've seen situations where two or three people call and then check it down (the more the better), and the BB ends up winning, say, $3400, at which point he may be back in the game. Whaddya think? Only call if you've got a good hand? Or try to knock the guy out as a group?I've seen that situation most often in tournaments like qualifiers where "The top X players go to the next round", but it also happens in normal tournaments.
In a sattelite, it should definitely be like you are describing. It's a shame people are too stupid to realize this.Ask hoosier about his sattelite into one of the bigger wsop satts. Total idiots.But if someone is all in, and it's a sattelite, i dont see why the entire table shouldn't call and check it down.
Let's say a shortstack goes all in, you call from the button with a hand like AQ and then the big blind calls as well. Then the flop comes all very low, something like 3,8,2 and the BB checks to you, if I put the all-in player on a hand like a weak ace, I would consider a bet here to drive him out and increase my chances to win the pot against the all-in.
Probably should've done a squeeze play pre-flop then. Raise/push or fold PF, especially with AQ and people still to act. JMHO.
...If I'm playing an online MTT with 600+ players, and it's in the first level, then I don't see anything wrong with it.
Um of course not, but then again if this had anything to do with the topic your post might make sense. Thats why its titled ...,ONLINE SNG's. PAY ATTENTION.

Anyone remember this?From the Mirage Poker Showdown (2005):"Not surprisingly, finding Ac-5d in early position on the next hand, Kido pushed his remaining 187,000 into the pot. Forrest, with As-9s, called, as did Bell, with 9h-9d. The flop came Kh-8s-4s, and Forrest, forsaking tournament etiquette – that you don’t bet anything but a monster hand into a dry pot against an active competitor when you’re both trying to knock out an all-in short-stack – pushed in 200,000. Bell turned in his 9’s, and appeared furious that Forrest had bet his flush draw, especially when the turn came 9c! When 4c hit the river, Forrest had knocked out Kido Pham and taken over the chip lead, and Bell was left with thoughts of what might have been. Early leader Pham was sent packing, shell-shocked, in 4th place, with $182,964 to salve his wounds."In this case, Ted had a big chip-lead, iirc. Nevertheless, he would have gotten flamed to no end if he had done this in a sit-n-go online. I believe that Ted knew that Bell had a pocket pair, and figured that his hand (Ted's) would likely still beat Kido's, and he was right. Or, perhaps he figured "I've got a big stack, and I don't want yours (Bell's) getting any bigger". Whatever his motives, it was certainly the right move for Ted.