***official Boston Red Sox Thread***

Today I met a girl at work who was born in and has lived in southern california her whole life, and she loves the city of Boston and the Red Sox. When she goes on vacation she goes to Boston just to hang out.Oh and yay Lowell.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So apparently mlb.com keeps the radio broadcasts for the last 2 seasons. Here's a couple more Castiglione hilights from this season:Sept 1, 2 out 9th inning:"It's 1 and 2......Buchholz knocks some dirt off the pitching mound, takes a breath, waiting for Markakis. Now Markakis taps the bat on the plate, takes a practice swing. Buchholz gets the sign from Varitek....he winds, he kicks, the ONE-TWO PITCH, CURVE IS IN THERE STRIKE THREE A NO-HITTER!!! 23-YEAR-OLD CLAY BUCHHOLZ HAS NO-HIT THE BALTIMORE ORIOLES IN HIS SECOND MAJOR LEAGUE START, HE'S BEING MOBBED AT THE PITCHING MOUND, THE FIRST ONE OUT THERE BIG PAPI...."Oct 20, game 6 vs CLE, 2 out 1st inning:"3 and 1, Carmona comes to the set position, here it comes, swing and a fly ball CENTER FIELD HIT WELL, BACK GOES SIZEMORE TO THE WARNING TRACK BY THE FENCE, AND IT'S GOOOOONEEEEEEEE! GRAND SLAM J.D. DREW UNDER THE CAMERA WELL OUT IN DEAD CENTER FIELD AND THE RED SOX LEAD IT FOUR-NOTHING!! A LINE DRIVE, HIT ABOUT NINETEEN FEET HIGH OVER THAT EIGHTEEN FOOT WALL, FOUR-NOTHING BOSTON! J.D. DREW WITH HIS BIGGEST HIT EVER AS A MEMBER OF THE RED SOX! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I guess we don't need to worry about who will be the odd man out of the rotation...http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ap2B...p&type=lgns
Yeah, this is bad news. We were counting on him for 25 or so starts and it's doubtful we'll get much of anything. Before we could start Buchholz in AAA, stashing him until May 15th or so to buy an extra year where he's cost controlled, but that may not be possible now.
We must have some other spot starters we can call on though, no? WakeDice-KBeckettLesterBuchholz/spot starters?
Tavarez, for one...perhaps Snyder. I'd feel more comfortable with another starter for the inevitable injury.
Should have traded for Santana. I wish you would have traded for Santana. I hate being a Twins fan now.
Even in light of this development, I'm still not convinced this would be a great idea. Giving up a bunch of prospects and signing a pitcher to a 6-year, 137 million dollar contact is risky way to attain long-term dominance. No question the Sox would be better in 2008, but each successive year would put them in slightly worse position. But yeah, had it happened you would have gotten some good players.In somewhat related news, I've been hearing a bunch of good things about Jon Lester recently. I've been down on him the last two years, but I'm pretty optimistic right now. Sure, there's a good chance it's off-season, hype-building, trade-posturing bullshit, but I don't really care.

Schilling is kinda getting ****ed over...that is if he didn't already knowingly **** over the Red Sox.http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AjSM...p&type=lgnsHe needs surgery. The Red Sox say if he has it they will void the contract, and if he wants to keep his money he needs to rehab and try pitch this season. The whole situation gives me a bad feeling. Do you want to sacrifice the long term heath of your shoulder for $8,000,000, Curt?

In somewhat related news, I've been hearing a bunch of good things about Jon Lester recently. I've been down on him the last two years, but I'm pretty optimistic right now. Sure, there's a good chance it's off-season, hype-building, trade-posturing bullshit, but I don't really care.
Lester was the only major leaguer at the Red Sox spring training facility Friday. The first workout for pitchers and catchers is next Saturday.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3237261:club:

IMO Schilling should just retire a champion, what with the new shoulder woes. I mean it seems silly to try to have surgery or w/e so he can maybe be back and possibly be effective late in the season, and then depending on how that all goes he would retire at the end of this season (likely).

IMO Schilling should just retire a champion, what with the new shoulder woes. I mean it seems silly to try to have surgery or w/e so he can maybe be back and possibly be effective late in the season, and then depending on how that all goes he would retire at the end of this season (likely).
Yeah I just can't imagine this ending good at all.Vb, pocketdeuces and I are still hanging out in mirc if you load it up again. Qyayqi is in with us too now.
  • 2 weeks later...

i love the colon signing. low risk, high (but unlikely) reward possibility. and we're going to need all the insurance we can get with 2 rookies and 1.5 40-somethings in our rotation.mxds, it's entirely possible that it's not until this season that we're really going to have an idea of what lester can do. everything we've seen so far has either been with him weakened by cancer or by during his recovery process. remember that there was a debate as to whether he or paps would be better as the two of them were coming up through the system. we could end up with him as a solid #2/#3 guy if everything goes well, and from what we've seen already, he's a decent #4/#5 at minimum if he can handle more innings.damn, i am so psyched for the season to start.

Ha, the 9th inning of Bostons comeback from 5-0 against the Orioles in May is on NESN.I remember tuning into this game right before the comeback started. Error and close play at first iirc.