***official Boston Red Sox Thread***

About 5 innings from DiceK...as expected. Great bullpen work!!!

Jesus. That may have reached the Pike.
I told my husband earlier Manny wasn't going to take them walking Ortiz to get to him lightly and would hit one over the tracks to the Pike :D Manny MannyI think a walk off HR in extra innings in playoffs = okay to celebrate. imho :D
Manny being Manny.Also from tonight's game:1191632285_6102.jpgThat's Luis Tiant hugging Wally :club:.
lol nice photo (although I hate the whole mascot thing...:D)
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice hit, but such a lack of class on Man-Ram's partcelebrate AFTER you round the bases
It was over when he hit it...no doubter. It's the playoffs and it's Manny. Also, it was hit off K-Rod, who is not really known for his restraint.
nice hit, but such a lack of class on Man-Ram's partcelebrate AFTER you round the bases
odd, I havent heard anyone complaining today about Travis Hafner celebrating as soon as he made contact on the winning hit last night.

well, to be fair, he didn't stand at home for four seconds with his arms in the air. But if he had, he would have certainly been thrown at and resulted in many people's death wishes. Personally I didn't really mind Manny's reaction since it is a walk-off in the playoffs. But the thing with Manny is he would have done that in a Spring Training game, or a father-son barbeque softball game.

well, to be fair, he didn't stand at home for four seconds with his arms in the air. But if he had, he would have certainly been thrown at and resulted in many people's death wishes. Personally I didn't really mind Manny's reaction since it is a walk-off in the playoffs. But the thing with Manny is he would have done that in a Spring Training game, or a father-son barbeque softball game.
well, to be fair, he had to run to first since he didnt hit the ball 450 feet.how many seconds are you allowed to stand at the plate after hitting a mammoth walkoff homerun?i cant believe anyone cares about this stuff. its silly.
But the thing with Manny is he would have done that in a Spring Training game, or a father-son barbeque softball game.
I think this is part of why it's more forgivable in Manny's case. It comes across to me (admittedly as a Sox fan) as more of the joy of playing the game than trying to show up the other team. Now if Youkilis did that, they'd knock his teeth out and I wouldn't blame them.
I think this is part of why it's more forgivable in Manny's case. It comes across to me (admittedly as a Sox fan) as more of the joy of playing the game than trying to show up the other team.
I agree - like that homerun he hit in the ALDS against the A's a few years ago and he basically walked to first pointing at his dugout and celebrating. Afterwards he even said that he was just caught up in the moment, had been in a big slump and finally came through in the 11th hour, and was just happy. He wasn't trying to show anybody up.As further evidence I submit game 3 of the 2004 World Series, where he hit that BOMB to left in the first inning in St. Louis (Manny's first WS homerun), and he didn't watch it, didn't celebrate, just immediately put his head down and started running. He's not a bad guy, he's just in his own little world most of the time.

Extremely rare!!! press conference with Manny after game 2: http://www.boston.com/partners/worldnow/ne...continuous=true"He's one of the greatest closers in the game and I'm one of the best hitters in the game, and you know he missed his spot and I got good timing on the ball and that's it."He also says something really interesting about how he hits:"I never look for pitches, I just trust myself."As in, he doesn't guess fastball, changeup, etc. I've also heard him say that he doesn't pay too much attention to the count, because if it's a ball he doesn't swing and if it's a pitch that he can hit he does. He is lookin super-snazzy in that suit too.

One of the best images I have ever seen in my life. Last night was such a great night. I could write a book. I'll just say it was very special and this just made it perfect...almost magical.
Here's another one from Bostondirtdogs with Manny in focus. BDD_MR_game2hr_1-.5.07_gett.jpg"When you don't feel good and you get hits, like I said, you a bad man."
Just about time. Should be a real tough series. BPro has an excellent (and free!) breakdown of the series:http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=6821Who's they pick? The Red Sox! Or the Indians! Who knows?...Jesus Christ, McCarver and Buck. I'd rather be skinned alive...
OMG QFT........I can't stand these 2!Okay, can we make a rule that Gagne is NOT ALLOWED NEAR THE PITCHER'S MOUND before the 9th inning and without the Red Sox up by at least 15 runs? Go Sox
OMG QFT........I can't stand these 2!Okay, can we make a rule that Gagne is NOT ALLOWED NEAR THE PITCHER'S MOUND before the 9th inning and without the Red Sox up by at least 15 runs? Go Sox
Yeah, that rule is pretty much in effect. I can't believe how awful he's been some coming over. Thankfully, he's currently the last arm on the depth chart. The good thing to come out of that trade is that he'll still probably get an A free agent rating and we'll get two draft picks from any team daft enough to sign him (even though he'll likely rebound nicely once he's gone, the prick).
Ew, they broke my 'gagne rule' !!! He's a bowl of jello. Ugh
If only Francona read the fcp baseball threads :club:. Well at least now we know he's probably not getting the ball the rest of the season, except possibly in embarassing situations (up by 10 runs).
If only Francona read the fcp baseball threads :club: . Well at least now we know he's probably not getting the ball the rest of the season, except possibly in embarassing situations (down by 10 runs).

Tim Wakefield one timeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!1097985488_4070.jpgHis postseason stats are not exactly good (5-5, 6.12 ERA over 64 2/3 innings), BUT in league championships he's 5-1 with a 3.89 ERA in 4 starts. The biggest playoff game he pitched in was probably game 5 in the '04 ALCS when he came in for the 12th, 13th and 14th and gave up a hit and a walk and k'd 4. Let's hope he's got stuff like that tonight...

If only Francona read the fcp baseball threads :club:. Well at least now we know he's probably not getting the ball the rest of the season, except possibly in embarassing situations (up by 10 runs).
lolol We could teach him :D
Tim Wakefield one timeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!1097985488_4070.jpgHis postseason stats are not exactly good (5-5, 6.12 ERA over 64 2/3 innings), BUT in league championships he's 5-1 with a 3.89 ERA in 4 starts. The biggest playoff game he pitched in was probably game 5 in the '04 ALCS when he came in for the 12th, 13th and 14th and gave up a hit and a walk and k'd 4. Let's hope he's got stuff like that tonight...
YUP...Go Wake