***official Boston Red Sox Thread***

Now I have to ask. How do you guys feel about that play? Mike Lowell lowering his shoulder into Cano in an attempt to break up the double play. How is that any worse than what A-Rod did? Just think of the consequences of if A-Rod would have pulled that. We would be talking about it till the end of the season.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I have to ask. How do you guys feel about that play? Mike Lowell lowering his shoulder into Cano in an attempt to break up the double play. How is that any worse than what A-Rod did? Just think of the consequences of if A-Rod would have pulled that. We would be talking about it till the end of the season.
Nah I don't think it was dirty. Cano had the ball, and was blocking the basepath.

I dont think it was dirty either. But throwing your shoulder into the other player is a little excessive, not to say that I thought he was wrong. Just imagine the fallout if it was A-Rod that did it.

Nah I don't think it was dirty. Cano had the ball, and was blocking the basepath.
I dont think it was dirty either. But throwing your shoulder into the other player is a little excessive, not to say that I thought he was wrong. Just imagine the fallout if it was A-Rod that did it.
Not as bad as A-rod/Petroia play because Arod kind of went out of his way to throw an elbow at Petroia. Cano was coming toward Lowell, I think Lowell was expecting some contact, but yeah he definitely lowered his shoulder into Cano who was blocking the basepath. Perhaps the 1st play affected the 2nd play.....a little payback..maybe just a thought..who knows :PBut in general, the baserunner is supposed to break up a double play eveyone is taught that. I can't remember any coach I've ever had (little league, softball) teaching me to yell at defense to make them drop a pop up. (Oh and yeah,...duh Toronto for falling for it!)

Does anyone have any video of the Arod incident? I heard about it yesterday but I can't find anything on YouTube.

Old article posted on dirtdogs in honor of Dave Roberts' return to Fenway. http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...of_fame/?page=1

''I was scared, excited," he says. ''I can't tell you how many emotions went through me. He threw over once, and that was good because it helped settle me. He threw over again, and he almost picked me off. He threw over again, and now I was completely relaxed.''I knew that after three throws they weren't going to pitch out. I took my standard 3 1/2-step lead, and when he went to the plate, I took off."
  • 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to point out that I am in fact visiting Fenway Park come Monday. It is part of my summer ballpark trip. We were in Cleveland on Thursday, Pittsburgh last night, Camden tonight, Philly tomorrow, Boston, and then two in New York. Time of my life

I just wanted to point out that I am in fact visiting Fenway Park come Monday. It is part of my summer ballpark trip. We were in Cleveland on Thursday, Pittsburgh last night, Camden tonight, Philly tomorrow, Boston, and then two in New York. Time of my life
Awesome, man. Have fun! I hope you're taking pictures and plan on posting a report of your trip.
  • 4 weeks later...

Oooo, I'm originally from massachusetts, going to school in atlanta. I was at the Braves game where we crushed them 11-0, that was the best first inning i've ever seen in my life. 5 runs off 3 homers, tee-hee. The braves fans got a little rowdy after the game too, I was wearing my v-tek jersey, lolol. ELLEEVEENNN TOOO ZEEEEROOOO, ELLEEEVVENNNN TOOO ZEEROOOO!!!

Okajima and Papelbon have been visibly great, but Delcarmen's been awesome since coming up as well. On nights when all three are ready to pitch, we're playing 6-inning games. I'm looking to see if they bring Bucholtz up in September to be a 6th-inning guy. He's probably not ready to be a permanent addition to the team. but I'd like to see what he can do and he's got filthy enough stuff to get major league hitters who haven't seen him before out. Nice to see Lugo hitting too. I'm a fan even though he played like crap for the first three months. He got sick before the season and lost a lot of weight. I have to think that's a big factor why his start was so slow (adjusting to playing in Fenway another). Those reasons ameliorated, I'd expect a nice turnaround from him next year a la Todd Helton from last year to this year. Not as much discussion in this thread this year. Probably because there's been such little drama in the standings. It's not worth complaining about the underperformers. Let variance take its course, and straighten these guys out while we've got a nice lead going. The upcoming stretch may change things a bit. The Sox have a ton of games on the road and the Yankees are hitting a soft spot on their schedule. I personally don't need the drama. I think maintaining this lead would be a nice course of action.

Yeah a lot less discussion in this thread this year. Personally I have to say that I haven't been following the Sox or baseball in general as closely as I usually do. I certainly read the paper every day and listen to some of the games, and I guess I've probably watched about a dozen or so. Anyways yeah, looking very good in general. Along with the bullpen guys you mentioned is also Timlin, who has been great lately since coming back. Drew of course is a huge disappointment so far, but at least Coco is starting to hit, and has been pretty darn incredible in CF. Exciting to see Gabbard and Lester doing well - it'll be interesting to see what the rotation looks like when Schilling comes back.

Welcome to Boston, Eric Gagne. Things are looking great in Boston. The Red Sox have the best record in baseball and they just acquired Gagne, the Celtics just acquired Kevin Garnett, and the Patriots are the best team in the history of football. Its gonna be a good fall/winter/spring. I just wish the Bruins management would get their heads out of their asses.

Yeah, I was just thinking to myself " You know, even though they have two all star relievers, the Sox bull pen just isn't quite solid enough....Jesus fcking Christ. I officially hate Boston now. Welcome to Yankee land, chowd nation.

PapelbonGagneOkajimaTimlinDelcarmenDonnelly (when he returns)If that's not one of the best bullpens of all-time, I dunno what is. Woohoo!
Donnelly's having Tommy John surgery.
Donnelly's having Tommy John surgery.
Oh. Shows you how closely I've been following the Sox this year :club:. Well it's still the best bullpen the Sox have ever had!
Oh. Shows you how closely I've been following the Sox this year :club:. Well it's still the best bullpen the Sox have ever had!
Remember when the knock on Theo was that he couldn't put together a bullpen?