***official Boston Red Sox Thread***

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first thing that popped into my head was whether Bill Buckner did a cartwheel or not.
Bill Buckner threw out the first pitch at Fenway's home opener a few years ago, and got a massive standing ovation and had tears in his eyes.
Welcome home, red sox nation. Welcome home.
That's what I'm saying (except I hate the phrase "Red Sox nation"). I grew up with this, but growing up I didn't have 2 world series titles to remember. If this had happened in 2002: horror. But now it's kind of just "meh." Almost nobody in Boston was in love with this team even when we were leading the East, unlike most other years.

The Sox are reportedly gonna fire Terry Francona today, which pisses me off so much more than missing the playoffs does. Firing Tito is such a horrible mistake. Even less sensible than when they fired Joe Morgan 20 years ago for no good reason. White-Joe-Morgan that is, not black-Joe-Morgan. BMANGINneg554-431x575.jpgThat image also perfectly expresses how I feel about firing Francona.

The Sox are reportedly gonna fire Terry Francona today, which pisses me off so much more than missing the playoffs does. Firing Tito is such a horrible mistake. Even less sensible than when they fired Joe Morgan 20 years ago for no good reason. White-Joe-Morgan that is, not black-Joe-Morgan. BMANGINneg554-431x575.jpgThat image also perfectly expresses how I feel about firing Francona.
I thought Epstein said SPECIFICALLY yesterday that they would not scapegoat Francona?
Bill Buckner threw out the first pitch at Fenway's home opener a few years ago, and got a massive standing ovation and had tears in his eyes.
Did you see Catching Hell on Tuesday night? He basically said he was crying because he was finally able to forgive all the ******* Boston Sports fans. Of course, all the Boston Sports fans are saying, "Aww... we made him cry because we finally let him throw out the first pitch, and forgave him for being the sole cause of our defeat in '86. How nice!"
Did you see Catching Hell on Tuesday night? He basically said he was crying because he was finally able to forgive all the ******* Boston Sports fans. Of course, all the Boston Sports fans are saying, "Aww... we made him cry because we finally let him throw out the first pitch, and forgave him for being the sole cause of our defeat in '86. How nice!"
I didn't, but I definitely had the impression that he was crying because his long nightmare of being the most hated man in 5 states was finally over. He got death threats and shit. It was horrible. It was actually surprising to me that he said yes to throwing out the first pitch, but yeah, it was like they were forgiving each other (the fans forgiving him; him forgiving the fans). I was just making the point that his error is ancient history, and that I don't think he hates the Sox, so I don't think he was celebrating our loss like DM suggested.Re: Francona, he said he left cuz he wanted to, and I believe him. I wouldn't wanna manage that bunch of overpaid losers for another season either, especially with everybody blaming me for the fact that they all suck and act like they don't care (excepting the dedicated few: Pedroia, Ells, Scoot, Youkilis, and a couple pitchers). Theo and the owners basically blamed him publicly, and then pretended that they didn't. But it's Theo who should go. He brought in most of these jerks. Pedroia and Youk and Ellsbury? They all came up through the organization. I'm not sure how involved he was in acquiring them in the draft or whatever (he had nothing to do with Youk, who's been in the organization since before Theo), and I'm not sure how much the Crawford contract was him and how much was the owners, but I'm pretty sure he could have brought Victor Martinez back if he'd wanted to. That would have cost us $50m (we offered $40m, which was an insult). This, knowing that we don't have any catchers who can hit. He traded Justin Masterson for Victor Martinez, and then didn't bother keeping Martinez. I'm pretty sure he could have scouted Lackey a little better, or come up with a better emergency solution than Eric "Suck" Bedard. Theo did of course have a big hand in us winning our 2 championships, but not nearly as big as the players themselves (or the manager, imo). So it's not like I hate him, and in fact I'll always love him for helping us to those 2 titles, but if the Sox are trying to change things up (they are), he should be the first one out the door. Lackey and the rest of the bums too of course, but they'll be a bit harder to get rid of since we owe them tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars each. Cliffs: Boo Theo, yey Tito, boo losing.EDIT: The more I'm reading about it, the more it seems like the owners pushed Francona out, because they're retarded. So he gladly left, because they made him the scapegoat and suggested that he was the one who needed to make changes in order to keep his job. The Sox owners and general managers and all that have, for decades at least, been really really good at accepting zero blame and getting rid of the one guy everyone wants to keep (Boggs, Clemens, Joe Morgan, Manny (it was fine when they finally did move him, but they'd been trying for years despite his being our best hitter in decades)), and now Tito. I'm just glad we have guys like Pedroia and Youk because I'm disliking about 75% of the team right now, and if it were 95% then I'd probably be real sad about next year.
I didn't, but I definitely had the impression that he was crying because his long nightmare of being the most hated man in 5 states was finally over. He got death threats and shit. It was horrible. It was actually surprising to me that he said yes to throwing out the first pitch, but yeah, it was like they were forgiving each other (the fans forgiving him; him forgiving the fans). I was just making the point that his error is ancient history, and that I don't think he hates the Sox, so I don't think he was celebrating our loss like DM suggested.
The fans didn't need to forgive him. The fans are ****ing crazy ass retarded hateful mother ****ers, and didn't deserve Buckner to even show up. **** the Red Sox fans and **** the Cubs fans. Quit being douches and start being human.
The fans didn't need to forgive him. The fans are ****ing crazy ass retarded hateful mother ****ers, and didn't deserve Buckner to even show up. **** the Red Sox fans and **** the Cubs fans. Quit being douches and start being human.
Damn, what did the Cubs fans do to make you hate them too?? The Bartman thing?I also didn't say it was reasonable for Sox fans to be "forgiving" Buckner. Long before we won in '04, it was acknowledged and accepted that Buckner was unfairly scapegoated. Everybody knew that, especially in Boston. It was the pitchers' faults, and the manager's fault for leaving him in there, presumably so he could be on the field to celebrate. He was usually lifted in the late innings for a defensive replacement because he had bad knees (or maybe it was a bad back - I forget - but either way he was hurting and shouldn't have been on the field at all in the 9th). So no, most of New England really didn't hate him or blame him personally. Certainly some did, but there are idiots everywhere. On the other hand though, it's become one of the most iconic misplays in all of sports history. ESPN and all the other over-dramatic-nonsense-sports shows bring it up about twice a week when the Sox are faltering, or at least they used to before we won 2 rings. It was really the media who made him the scapegoat, since anybody who actually watched the game (I was too young to remember it, but I've seen replays of the whole inning) could plainly see that Buckner's error was simply the last in a long string of miscues and misplays that led to that ridiculous loss.
Yeah, that's been talked about since the season ended and was being reported as a near-certainty yesterday. He was pretty great, I'll always love him for the fact that he was the GM in '04 and '07, but he's also given out some of the worst contracts ever. John Lackey's $85 millionish/5 years certainly comes to mind, as does Bobby Jenks $12m/2 years. I think his 2nd-in-command is gonna take over (Ben Cherington). Anyway, I'm not terribly sorry to see him go - he had his time in Boston and it was great and all, but he's not a magician and I think it's probably good for him and good for the team to get somebody with some different ideas at the helm. Francona on the other hand...such a bad decision to let him go. I'd certainly never want the Sox to lose, but I hope that whatever team Tito lands with has immediate and long-term success under him, not just because I want him to succeed but also because I want the Red Sox's owners to realize how dumb they are for getting rid of him. Unless of course he somehow ends up managing the NYY, but that seems unlikely.

They aren't dumb for getting rid of him. The Cubs are dumb for trading for him (depending on what they give up). There's lots of young, smart, handsome guys out there who would have made a good choice, and probably gotten about 95% of Theo's production, for a lot less money/prospect.Cherington has apparently been with the team forever, back in the Duquette days. Who knew?!

Cherington has apparently been with the team forever, back in the Duquette days. Who knew?!
That's pretty surprising. Poor Dan Duquette. He doesn't get the credit he deserves for that '04 championship. He brought us Pedro and Manny, to name his biggest acquisitions.
So I just looked at the standings for the first time since...um, sometime last season?...and I noticed this:Boston 28 22Texas 26 24 Weird that Hollywood hasn't been around here anymore.
Wait.... what?
What would you like clarification about? Also: weird that you show up now that the Rangers are doing well in the playoffs. Really weird how that happens.
I showed up at the first of the season.... just saw his remark about the records of the 2 teams... don't get it.I'm a Sox fan as well so don't get all defensive.
  • 3 months later...

Bobby Freaking Valentine is finally starting to dawn on me. This will be interesting at the very least.Pretty weak that John Lackey is still on the team. If we keep him he's gonna get booed hard so maybe that'll motivate him to suck less. Also Wakefield might be retiring, mostly because the Sox probably aren't gonna offer him a contract. He'll probably stay involved in baseball somehow, but I still think the stupid Red Sox should keep him for another year at least. It's conceivable he could pitch elsewhere too maybe.

Bobby Freaking Valentine is finally starting to dawn on me. This will be interesting at the very least.Pretty weak that John Lackey is still on the team. If we keep him he's gonna get booed hard so maybe that'll motivate him to suck less. Also Wakefield might be retiring, mostly because the Sox probably aren't gonna offer him a contract. He'll probably stay involved in baseball somehow, but I still think the stupid Red Sox should keep him for another year at least. It's conceivable he could pitch elsewhere too maybe.
Lackey's pretty much out the whole year.They're trying the real shitty method of signing a lot of older guys, hoping one or two of them turn into what Colon and Garcia were for the Yankees last year. Padilla, et al. It could be ugly.
  • 3 weeks later...
Also Wakefield might be retiring
Yep, retired.Guess it's time for a new account for you.Might I suggest Rance Handsome?Wait, no, that's going to be my next one; don't use that one!Edit:DJ Gallo @DJGalloESPNTim Wakefield is retiring at 45. He was the last player in the majors to have played for a winning Pirates team. So depressing.
Edit:DJ Gallo @DJGalloESPNTim Wakefield is retiring at 45. He was the last player in the majors to have played for a winning Pirates team. So depressing.
Ha!P.S. Red Sox are dumb for not offering Wake a contract. I'd bet there's something like a 20% chance he pitches again, but maybe that's wishful thinking. Pretty solid career overall. 200-180.
  • 1 month later...
Simmons and Schur exchange e-mails.My favorite paragraph:Schur: I think the whole front office — or at least a good chunk of it — was obsessed with Crawford. I blame Varitek and Mirabelli, because every time the Sox played the Rays, Crawford would single, steal second, steal third, steal home, then come out of the dugout and steal first, then steal second and third on one pitch, then reverse-steal second again just so he could steal third and home on the following pitch.
  • 3 weeks later...
nickcafardo From what I'm hearing the Jacoby Ellsbury injury to his right shoulder doesn't sound good.
Fuuuuuuuuck. In other news, the Sox won their home opener for the 8th straight year.
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After an 8-6 win over the Orioles, Red Sox slugger David Ortiz went on a rant, saying he was disrespected by the media and the front office despite the fact that he's "the kind of [expletive] who worries about winning games." "And not just baseball games," he continued. "What about Hungry, Hungry Hippos? I never lose that game. I'll pound that plastic hippo until it breaks. Ask me how many hippos I've broken over the years. Ask me how many kids were crying after Big Papi broke the green hippo. A thousand, at least. And I have a secret. You know what my secret is?" Here, Ortiz leaned forward and lowered his voice to a whisper. "If the game is really close, I'll eat the marbles myself. That's my secret. I'm the hungriest hippo."