***official Boston Red Sox Thread***

I was posting in the general baseball talk thread, but with the season approaching it's definitely time to revive this one.I like Ellsbury hitting leadoff, but unless he has a stellar spring I think they'll start him lower down, and let him get comfortable. Probably 9th, so he's really hitting ultra-leadoff. If Pedroia is slow to get started because of the surgery he might drop down too.But Francona mixes the line-up constantly, so it's unlikely there will be a consistent 9 until the playoffs, at which point there will probably be a surprise name or two in the mix. And against lefties it will change dramatically. We have an alarming overabundance of left-handed hitters: Ellsbury, Drew, Tiz, Crawford, Gonzalez, so Francona's gonna have to work that out also. It can obviously be advantageous too.Youk totally hits 3rd, I agree with mdg. Gonzalez 4th. Then the rest is a bit of a mystery.
I prefer Crawfords speed hitting 3rd in front of Gonzalez, I would put the greek god of walks 6th behind Ortiz.
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer Crawfords speed hitting 3rd in front of Gonzalez, I would put the greek god of walks 6th behind Ortiz.
You're right actually that Youk might not hit third. But he draws walks like a God, so it's useful to have one or two of your sluggers behind him. That's why I don't see him hitting 6th. Papi or Drew is my bet for the 6th spot. Maybe 5th for Youk - like I said it's gonna be interesting to see if/how Francona staggers all the lefties.
You're right actually that Youk might not hit third. But he draws walks like a God, so it's useful to have one or two of your sluggers behind him. That's why I don't see him hitting 6th. Papi or Drew is my bet for the 6th spot. Maybe 5th for Youk - like I said it's gonna be interesting to see if/how Francona staggers all the lefties.
http://firebrandal.com/2011/02/22/platoon-partners-for-papi/Utilizing Lowrie and Cameron when facing LH starting pitchers would be a good idea. It's just a matter of whether Francona will let egos or logic determine his lineup contruction.
  • 1 month later...

Opening day lineup:Ellsbury CFPedroia 2BCrawford LFYoukilis 3BGonzalez 1BOrtiz DHCameron RFSaltalamacchia CScutaro SSCameron is in for Drew because they're facing a lefty.

I hope the Red Sox lose 162 games this season.
seems like Hollywood thinks so. The Red Sox are in HUGE trouble.

Impossible to rate a team or predict what kind of year they are going to have based off of the first 3 games of the year. The Yankees started off the 98 season losing the first 3 games and went on to win the World Series and I'm sure there are more examples of that happening if you wanted to bother to look them up. The Rangers are a solid team and are capable of sweeping anybody. Doesn't mean the Red Sox are doomed.

seems like Hollywood thinks so. The Red Sox are in HUGE trouble.
I see how you could deduce that from:"Either the Sox pitching sux or the Rangers bats are unstoppable.26 runs in 3 games34 hits11 home runs"Sensitive much?3 games does not make or break a season.... but that is a horrible way to start a season.
Hey remember last April when the Rangers lost 6 in a row?
THEY WEREN'T THE FIRST 6 GAMES THOUGH. IT'S TOTALLY DIFFERENT. LARGE SAMPLES ARE IRRELEVANT COMPARED TO SHORT, OPPOSING SAMPLES.Everybody knows that.
Prediction: Red Sox win tonight
It's actually a Friday day game for some strange reason. Starts in a half hour.EDIT: I remembered why it's a day game, or I think I did. It's the home opener, and for whatever reason that's always been a day game as far as I can remember.