***official Boston Red Sox Thread***

Dice-K. Lucky pitcher, or luckiest pitcher of all time? :club:
Yeah, who knows? He was really good last night and was probably the least frustrating outing he's had from a viewability perspective...well, except for the 1st. His ability/luck in tight situations is ridiculous. I have no idea what his deal is, but as long as the results are good I'll deal with the 4 hour games.
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dice-K. Lucky pitcher, or luckiest pitcher of all time? :club:
I forgot where I read it, I'll try to find it (maybe), but I read an article about how in baseball in japan, the pitchers absolutely do not give in to situations, Ever. So, where over here, a pitcher may pitch according to situational baseball (call it what you will), over there, they Will throw the pitch they want, where they want, every single time. I think this explains Matsuzaka's stats (and their oddity to us) quite a bit.

Just your standard 6-5 game in the 5th with 7 combined homeruns. Yawn.And make that 6-6. I don't know why Beckett came on for the 5th, or why in God's name he's still out there pitching to Longoria.Edit: Oh ok I guess Tito just wanted to make sure Beckett could qualify for the loss. 7-6 TB now. Oh don't pull him now Tito! He's been pitching terribly for the whole game, leave him in there he's bound to turn it around!

I'm actually really liking these announcers, at least compared to Fox. They just did a very detailed and interesting analysis of Bradford holding Crisp on at first with 2 outs. They explained why and how everything was happening, even that Crisp was talking to the ump about whether Bradford stepped off.Bradford must have thrown over 5 or 6 times and Crisp hadn't tried to go yet, and on a 2-2 count the announcer says "Crisp has gotta guess here and go on the first movement after Bradford comes set and brings his glove to the belt. He hasn't thrown over after bringing that glove set."[bradford comes to the set, pauses and pitches and Crisp takes off]Basically they're not dumbing it down like McFarter and whats-his-name.Unrelated: people say that Alex Cora is smart and will probably be a manager someday, and I certainly agree. Lately though, he friggin looks like a manager, it's great. I'll try to find a picture after we steal this game back.

I forgot where I read it, I'll try to find it (maybe), but I read an article about how in baseball in japan, the pitchers absolutely do not give in to situations, Ever. So, where over here, a pitcher may pitch according to situational baseball (call it what you will), over there, they Will throw the pitch they want, where they want, every single time. I think this explains Matsuzaka's stats (and their oddity to us) quite a bit.
No.A .200 BABIP with runners in scoring position is not a result of "not giving in." If that were the case, pitchers in the U.S. would start doing it too.He's been freakishly lucky this season, simple as that. Doesn't mean he sucks or anything like that, he's a fine pitcher...but he's clearly had luck on his side this year. I think his season last year is more likely to be the true indicator of what type of pitcher he really is.....and his FIP and xFIP and other advanced stats support that. He's good, but not THIS good.
No.A .200 BABIP with runners in scoring position is not a result of "not giving in." If that were the case, pitchers in the U.S. would start doing it too.He's been freakishly lucky this season, simple as that. Doesn't mean he sucks or anything like that, he's a fine pitcher...but he's clearly had luck on his side this year. I think his season last year is more likely to be the true indicator of what type of pitcher he really is.....and his FIP and xFIP and other advanced stats support that. He's good, but not THIS good.
He's also still young. If he can learn to paint the corner more often instead of painting the dirt just off the corner, he might start having some legit 16 win, sub-3.00 ERA seasons.
He's also still young. If he can learn to paint the corner more often instead of painting the dirt just off the corner, he might start having some legit 16 win, sub-3.00 ERA seasons.
28 years old..yeah, could get better I guess. I don't think he will get a whole lot better, but it's definitely possible.
Did you see the expression on his face after he let the tying run on board two nights ago? He simply wasn't fazed. At all. He was ready to throw his pitches, where he wanted, simple as that. At least I think so. I'm certainly no expert, but it made sense to me.
Did you see the expression on his face after he let the tying run on board two nights ago? He simply wasn't fazed. At all. He was ready to throw his pitches, where he wanted, simple as that. At least I think so. I'm certainly no expert, but it made sense to me.
..........if the key to pitching is simply with RISP is "not giving in," then every pitcher in the world would be able to do what Dice-K does. Dice-K's BABIP with RISP was .279 last year, so unless he simply learned to "not give in" just this year, I'd say he's getting pretty damn lucky this year.That doesn't mean he sucks..it's not a negative thing..some years pitchers get lucky and some years they don't. This year, Dice-K got lucky..so his ERA was amazing. Last year he didn't get particularly lucky or unlucky, so his ERA was just decent. He could improve and not have to rely on getting lucky to post such a low ERA in the future, but I promise you that he won't be able to do it by maintaining a .200 BABIP with RISP, that simply isn't a skill.EDIT: I should say that what you are talking about, not giving in in tight spots and throwing the pitches he wants, I do believe that IS what he does...I just don't think you can say it's the reason for SUCH a low BABIP with RISP. Watching him pitch some, he does seem very poised on the mound and he definitely knows what he's doing. I think you are right about that, I just don't think it can lead to such freakish numbers....which is pretty much a proven fact.
Tomorrow Tim Wakefield shoots everybody in the face.wakefieldshoots.jpg
LOL BOOOOOM. Where are all the die hard Sox fans? Look, I know you will say that they will come back. Yes they are known for that, but you don't have Beckett, Manny, the old Papi, Schilling. It's OVA!
LOL BOOOOOM. Where are all the die hard Sox fans? Look, I know you will say that they will come back. Yes they are known for that, but you don't have Beckett, Manny, the old Papi, Schilling. It's OVA!
How's Barry Zito doing? haha jkMeh this year definitely doesn't feel like last year, against the Indians I wasn't even worried when down 3-1. As for tomorrow's game I'm not too scared, even with Daisuke going. Kazmir will be thrown out there and I'm pretty confident in general about that game, game 6 is going to be the nail biter if it gets that far.
Look, I know you will say that they will come back. Yes they are known for that, but you don't have Beckett, Manny, the old Papi, Schilling. It's OVA!
Oh. Good analysis, nobody else noticed that.

BWAHAHAHAH BOSOX YOU ARE THE SUCKSZZZZ!! ONLY TWO WORLD SERIES WINS IN THE PAST FIVE SEASONS AND OTHER DEEP PLAYOFF RUNS AND A STOCKED FARM SYSTEM AND SMART GM!! HAHAHA LOLZ YOU GUYS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!sw

BWAHAHAHAH BOSOX YOU ARE THE SUCKSZZZZ!! ONLY TWO WORLD SERIES WINS IN THE PAST FIVE SEASONS AND OTHER DEEP PLAYOFF RUNS AND A STOCKED FARM SYSTEM AND SMART GM!! HAHAHA LOLZ YOU GUYS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!sw
Heh. It's all good. I'm not giving up yet down 5-0 in game 5...but um...yeah, time to start looking to next year in all probability. Things are good. We won a postseason series and are well set up for the future, so this was a successful year. Four things are keeping me from being broken up about this:1.) We'll be able to compete next year. This isn't a do or die thing.2.) The two World Series wins...we've been spoiled in Boston lately and perspective is a good thing.3.) We're not losing to the Yankees (and 3b: Manny isn't going to the series either).4.) We lost (well, are losing) to a better team. If we're both full strength, I think it's real close, but the Sox aren't full strength. The Rays are better right now. They're playing much better right now. And really, I'm not sure how being full strength would swing this series...this is looking like the third blowout in a row. So good for the Rays. They've built their team well, they're playing great, and it's got to be a lot of fun for their fans who haven't had much to cheer about until this year. I was hoping as a Sox fan that we could get them this year before they get really good. And...looks like we couldn't. Oh well...going to get tougher before it gets easier. Hope the Yankees and Jays enjoy battling for third. And really, the AL East this year is one of the toughest divisions ever and next year's version will likely be tougher. The Rays will get naturally better with all their young stars maturing. The Sox will make some moves to keep pace with the Rays (odd as that sounds). The Yankees will go ape between the third place finish, Hank's ego, and the new stadium. Lot to look forward to.Anyway, it'll be Rays in 4. Maybe 5 'cause Hamels is no slouch.
Heh. It's all good. I'm not giving up yet down 5-0 in game 5...but um...yeah, time to start looking to next year in all probability. Things are good. We won a postseason series and are well set up for the future, so this was a successful year. Four things are keeping me from being broken up about this:1.) We'll be able to compete next year. This isn't a do or die thing.2.) The two World Series wins...we've been spoiled in Boston lately and perspective is a good thing.3.) We're not losing to the Yankees (and 3b: Manny isn't going to the series either).4.) We lost (well, are losing) to a better team. If we're both full strength, I think it's real close, but the Sox aren't full strength. The Rays are better right now. They're playing much better right now. And really, I'm not sure how being full strength would swing this series...this is looking like the third blowout in a row. So good for the Rays. They've built their team well, they're playing great, and it's got to be a lot of fun for their fans who haven't had much to cheer about until this year. I was hoping as a Sox fan that we could get them this year before they get really good. And...looks like we couldn't. Oh well...going to get tougher before it gets easier. Hope the Yankees and Jays enjoy battling for third. And really, the AL East this year is one of the toughest divisions ever and next year's version will likely be tougher. The Rays will get naturally better with all their young stars maturing. The Sox will make some moves to keep pace with the Rays (odd as that sounds). The Yankees will go ape between the third place finish, Hank's ego, and the new stadium. Lot to look forward to.Anyway, it'll be Rays in 4. Maybe 5 'cause Hamels is no slouch.
Just so you know, I was making fun of all the people talking trash about the BoSox (even though they haven't lost this series quite yet.....)Yup......IF they do lose this series..no shame in it. It'll be a great battle next year to follow.
Just so you know, I was making fun of all the people talking trash about the BoSox (even though they haven't lost this series quite yet.....)Yup......IF they do lose this series..no shame in it. It'll be a great battle next year to follow.
Heh....nah, I got what you were going for. I just tried to segue my amusement into my farewell to the season. Of course, my team just made me look like a huge *******.