It depends on how much experience you have.If you're starting from nothing, I think the best thing to do would be to get a few friends together and have a home game just to get used to how the game works. Have the internet ready for any discrepancies that may arise. Play with your friends for a bit and, when you feel comfortable with the game, then maybe you can read a book. Most good books require knowledge of the game first, so you have to know how to play and must be familiar with the associated terms if you hope to get anything out of a book.Books are quite helpful. They will not make up for a lack of experience at the tables, but they will introduce necessary concepts that may have taken you quite some time to come up with on your own.If you do have some experience then yes, by all means read a book. If you look around this forum and search a bit you will find many recommendations for great and helpful books, depending on the type of game that you play. But the key to learning is experience, and the best experience is experience playing with good players, because only then will you be forced to grow. Online is a good tool if you are willing, but a live game may be better because it lets you discuss strategy with your friends after a hand or something.

Read books, play, ask questions, play more, ask more questions, play more, read more advanced books, ask more questions, go back and read the early books, play more, ask more questions, play more and then keep playing. In that order.Seriously. Post hands, get people together that you consider to be good players and play with them, have someone you consider to be very good rail you for a couple sessions, if you're playing online, post more hands, ask more questions.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to continue to learn. I can read a book (say SuperSystem) and then go play, but I don't think that's the best way to do it.Any ideas?
Speaking as someone who is still relatively new, I can say that the SuperSystem book is a good way to start. It certainly helped me improve my game from someone who was glad to break-even, to someone who made $400 last month (just from casual evening play). I'm sure that there are a lot of other good books as well.Something else that helped me was playing in the "cheapie" tournaments. The tournaments where you really don't care if you bust out quickly. Why? Because you can learn to walk the fine line between being aggressive and reckless.Of course, you may be already playing at a level comparable to me, so this advice may not be suitable. At least you recognize that you still have more to learn, though, which is a very good attitude.

If you've got the $$$, join one of the online schools. Some of the very best out there are willing to share their accumulated wisdom - for a price of course.

My two cents:Reading books is definitely very helpful, but I believe that there is no substitute for experience, so I try to get in as many hands as possible. A book can tell me what to watch out for, but only through experience can I actually begin to add more "levels" of analysis to my play, by which I mean I learn to consider more and more factors when making a decision.As Phil Hellmuth said, the correct question is not, "How should I play this hand?" The correct question is, "What should I take into consideration in determining how I should play this hand?" Books can help you understand what factors to consider, but only through experience can you actually learn to apply what you've read, thereby improving your game.

I consider myself a decent player, ive had some nice mtt scores considering I started with $50 online, recently I took some time off and decided to make it an extended period just for improvement. For example Ive taken up O8 trying to learn that but I think the biggest thing that has helped my game has been doing what sheets said.On a recent podcast on pocket 5s sheets said he really got better by surrounding himself with great players, he learnt heaps from guys like gank and fischman. Lately Ive been railing PMJackson, Prtpsux, Johnny Bax, Bel0wAb0ve, Ims0lucky0, kursty the clown and Hossieralum when he has a connection. I only really talk to one of these guys and hes very helpful but just from watching guys like these play I feel I can go so much further in mtts now. I used to feel like I had to win every hand now I know a good way to approach tournaments and how these guys would play hands in what situation.So yes if you're after books cant go wrong with HOH for tournaments, not only that but the strategy section on this forum is a gold mine. I dont play much NL full ring but i read the strategy section alot and feel I could make money jsut from whative remembered from there.Read ask question play lots of hands and the big one for me has been surrounding myself by good players.I'd love to have the money to join something like pokerxfactor but I honestly cant afford it so I'll make do with the experience I gain for playing and asking about hands on here. Good luck and overall have fun with it.

My two cents: I believe that there is no substitute for experience, so I try to get in as many hands as possible. As Phil Hellmuth said, the correct question is not, "How should I play this hand?" The correct question is, "What should I take into consideration in determining how I should play this hand?"
Both great for a beginner. I asked a similar question on this site about a year ago..maybe less.It all came down to experience and more hands, reviewing the betting that occured and figure out if what I did right and what I did wrong. Also, talk to others about the questionable hands. GL

My advice (take it for what its worth):Fold a lot of starting hands....be patient....pay attention to the table...learn that its okay to fold excellent hands....be aggressive when you feel you have an edge....play, play and play some more. And one thing you don't think of initially is that how much you bet can be a huge tell.

The best way to learn is to think. Read one book, thats all you need. After that just play and every time you play think. Sounds simple I guess but the more you think about the game the better you'll get. Read HH's and see what you can do different. Think outside the box, take things that the books say you shouldn't be doing and try to make them work, some of them will and some wont either way you will be learning. If you learn 1 thing every day, you'll be great sooner or later.