Mike Cunningham's Blog

You work to make money to do the things you really want to do. Ie, money as means to an end. There are too many who work for money as the end itself. You do this in a 9-5 or in poker and you're bound to wind up unhappy and dissatisfied. I know this goes against our consumerist/capitalistic culture but call me crazy for not thinking money is the key to everything.
Didn't say money was the key to everything....I just posted WHY people work.Why don't people just play poker for free then? And my point was that working 9-5 will give you a guaranteed paycheck.

I play poker for a living as a means to an end. With it I can pay off my debts and put money away for law school plus I can live in a comfortable lifestyle that allows me to help out my family (right now I am taking care of my grandmother for 2 weeks). I enjoy poker, but it is not my life.

I love playing for a living, money awesome and i have never had a more stable income. The hours are amazing, you can take a vacation whenever you want play whenever you want, you just gotta be disciplined with your money and your time. He seems like a great guy but maybe he just wasnt as good as he thought he was.

It's a shame to see him go (again). That was a regular read for me. Good luck Mike.

It was a good blog and I wish him well... Just seemed like at the end he was trying play tournies for a big score to maybe make up for his previous losses, I guess it didnt work.

I love playing for a living, money awesome and i have never had a more stable income. The hours are amazing, you can take a vacation whenever you want play whenever you want, you just gotta be disciplined with your money and your time. He seems like a great guy but maybe he just wasnt as good as he thought he was.
do you play full time? What limits do you play?
do you play full time? What limits do you play?
Multi table2 4 nl, 5 10 nl. Yes i play full time, worst month this year as been 12k. I really enjoy it. Im 21 and i just bought my 1st condo. Playing for a living is not for everyone. Beating the game is probably the easiest part . The hardest is controlling your emotions and bankroll management. If he cant beat the 2 4 nl in vegas well he just isnt a poker player cause those games are incredibly soft
This isnt meant as a flame, but it was only a matter of time.
+2.i remember thinking this a few months ago when I simply skimmed his blog.And hell, I hardly knowanything. Although I may underestimate myself at times..but still.- Jordan
Multi table2 4 nl, 5 10 nl. Yes i play full time, worst month this year as been 12k. I really enjoy it. Im 21 and i just bought my 1st condo. Playing for a living is not for everyone. Beating the game is probably the easiest part . The hardest is controlling your emotions and bankroll management. If he cant beat the 2 4 nl in vegas well he just isnt a poker player cause those games are incredibly soft
How long have you been full-time?
I'm envious, I'm 33 and going to work everyday and playing poker once in a while online for fun but trying to consistently win. it's hard, I don't have much time and when I play, I'm tired. 5k bankroll online, that's it. you must have a mondo bankroll, do you play on fulltilt? maybe I'll rail you sometime.

I like this guy he speaks from his heart and I think a lot of people can learn from his experience. A lot of what he says and other people say is definetely true in that poker can be consuming, depressing, isolating and most importantly addicting. Over this last year I have found myself playing poker to make money, I'm a student and can make way more playing poker than I can working, and I love to play so it fits nicely. At times I find myself having a good week and decide to take a trip out of town, take my girlfriend out etc. Other times I would just keep playing hours a day and not stop, well sooner or later I would get burned out, my game would detioriate and I would feel like sh*t. By taking breaks for a week, 2 weeks or just the weekend and keeping set hours (like play for 6 hours than come home and catch a movie with my gf) My game stayed strong and also I got to enjoy the fact that I don't have a job, and really for my situation its great. Just thought I would throw in my 2cents

I'm envious, I'm 33 and going to work everyday and playing poker once in a while online for fun but trying to consistently win. it's hard, I don't have much time and when I play, I'm tired. 5k bankroll online, that's it. you must have a mondo bankroll, do you play on fulltilt? maybe I'll rail you sometime.
Playing tired is so hard, i only play when i am 100% fresh if not i will take the day off. The advantage you have is all the money you make can go to your bankroll. Poker is my sole source of income, so it pays mortgage, cars, etc... I wish all my earnings could go to my bankroll. I dont put enough towards my bankroll i play with about 45 max buy ins at 2 4 and about 22 at 5 10. I should be playing 10 20 or 25 50. But i just love the very little variance stable income that 2 4 provides me. You have a very nice bankroll to work with, if i were you i would buy a nice computer set up to multi table, and learn to multi table at 1/2. You should be making around 3k a month MIN playing part time at 1/2.I play on a skin of noble network, alot of fishies on that site.Anyways if you have any question about anything feel free to email mejftalbot@gmail.com