***///--the Official Kansas City Royals Thread--\\\***

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honestly that was one of the best game's I've ever seen. Instant classic. I wasn't even rooting that hard for the Royals. I definitely like them but I also like the A's, mostly because Jon Lester.

Just tell me Gathright wont be back next year.Tell me that at least.
It wouldn't surprise me if he were traded in the offseason. He's been disappointing here, but he still has one major tool and has flashed potential at times to get on base at a good clip...some team might want to take him on as a project. I doubt we'd get anything great in return....but if we could get anything for him I think that'd be pretty good....he is at best our 4th OF...

Kila with another HR tonight. That's 7 in 12 games since his promotion. His line is now .386/.500/.863 (1.363 OPS) with 7 HRs, 10 BB and 11 Ks in 12 games. That's a pretty decent start.

About 26 hours until the deadline to sign the draft picks. I guess it's rumored that Melville's deal is done but they won't announce it until the last minute to avoid it influencing other contracts. As for Hosmer, I haven't heard anything for a long time other than it will probably come down to the last hours like Moustakas last year. I really think they HAVE to get both signed for the future of the club, and to send a message that the Royals are no longer going to be cheap.

Both first-round talents, Melville and Hosmer, got signed. KC's minor league system should get pushed into or close to the Top 10 with back-to-back unbelievable drafts...according to those who judge those things anyways. The lower minors for KC is looking unreal stacked...but the players at that level are always unknown quantities until they hit AA and do well (or fail).

Anyway, they sent him to Wilmington where Derrick Robinson is currently the everyday CF hitting .249/.314 with 55 SB. So are they going to promote Robinson to AA, or move one of them, do you think?
So far through 5 games, it looks like they will swap every game or so between CF and DH, although they started Orlando in RF the first couple of games. He is tearing it up so far though, .381 - 3 doubles 1 triple and 2 HRs 1 for 2 in SB.
Both first-round talents, Melville and Hosmer, got signed. KC's minor league system should get pushed into or close to the Top 10 with back-to-back unbelievable drafts...according to those who judge those things anyways. The lower minors for KC is looking unreal stacked...but the players at that level are always unknown quantities until they hit AA and do well (or fail).
Great sign hopefully they both pan out.

Nice article from Jim Callis of Baseball America about the BoSox spending over ten million in this year's draft, making them the first to do so and making the most money ever spent during the draft.http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=463Only one problem...as Rany Jazayerli points out. The BoSox didn't even spend the most money in the draft this year? Anyone want to take a crazy guess on which team outspent the BoSox this year in the draft?? http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/

Ugh!On a positive note: Kaaihue is still raking (see you next week sir), and Hosmer went 1-3 with a 2B, RBI and BB in his first professional game with the Chukars.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I've completely stopped posting here for some reason. Gotta get back on it. Royals playing pretty well in September, one game behind Detroit for 4th place. 71 wins so far, an improved win total for the third year in a row. I don't think .500 is an unreasonable expectation heading into next year..we have some nice arms and hopefully some hitters can continue to develop. Gordon's improve plate discipline is a great sign....Butler has been up and down...he's great against lefties but just awful against righties. Hopefully he can make an adjustment next year..and hopefully either Shealy or Ka'aihue can emerge as a legit 1B next year..............There is reason for some legitimate optimism finally...but DM still has work to do.

Man, I've completely stopped posting here for some reason. Gotta get back on it. Royals playing pretty well in September, one game behind Detroit for 4th place. 71 wins so far, an improved win total for the third year in a row. I don't think .500 is an unreasonable expectation heading into next year..we have some nice arms and hopefully some hitters can continue to develop. Gordon's improve plate discipline is a great sign....Butler has been up and down...he's great against lefties but just awful against righties. Hopefully he can make an adjustment next year..and hopefully either Shealy or Ka'aihue can emerge as a legit 1B next year..............There is reason for some legitimate optimism finally...but DM still has work to do.
Haha same old Koop, you never waver.
Haha same old Koop, you never waver.
You don't think things are getting better??? I think we've been getting better for three years now...but it takes a long time to go from a 56 win team with no farm system whatsoever to a contender with a small payroll.
You don't think things are getting better??? I think we've been getting better for three years now...but it takes a long time to go from a 56 win team with no farm system whatsoever to a contender with a small payroll.
What is your opinion on Greinke? Trade him, sign him long term, or go to arbitration?
I would agree. I think they sorta need to stop signing weird stop gap free agents though and either go big and young or don't go at all. IMO.PS: I didn't watch many games this season, what is your assessment on Alex Gordon's progression?
What is your opinion on Greinke? Trade him, sign him long term, or go to arbitration?
Try to sign him to a reasonable extension. Put some club options after 3-4 guaranteed years. He's pretty close to a legit ace right now and he's 24 years old. No reason why he shouldn't get even better next year. Good control, lot of strikeouts, great mechanics/extremely durable........I say sign him UNLESS a team just absolutely blows us away with an offer...which I don't think is happening. Unless some team is willing to offer four really good prospects, including a couple ready to be good players at the MLB level immediately...then keep him here.
I would agree. I think they sorta need to stop signing weird stop gap free agents though and either go big and young or don't go at all. IMO.PS: I didn't watch many games this season, what is your assessment on Alex Gordon's progression?
I'm very high on Gordon. He got off to a hot start..then struggled for a while..and then in the 2nd half has been for real. .912 OPS in the 2nd half of the season with a .400 OBP. That's outstanding and it's not a fluke. He's improved against LHPs lately and his pitch recognition/plate discipline is off the charts right now. Such a dramatic increase in plate discipline is usually a good indicator that a big power surge is coming..which could take him from a 18-20 HR guy to a 30 HR guy easily. He improved his OPS over 60 points from last year so far and has been really good in the 2nd half...a .850+ OPS with 25 HRs is what I expect from him next year...and with his vastly improved plate discipline and the willingness to make adjustments this year..I see no reason why it shouldn't happen. He's 24 years old, no reason he can't live up to all the hype he had when drafted.
No, I agree with you, I just found it funny that you've been saying the same thing as long as this thread's been around.
I'm very high on Gordon. He got off to a hot start..then struggled for a while..and then in the 2nd half has been for real. .912 OPS in the 2nd half of the season with a .400 OBP. That's outstanding and it's not a fluke. He's improved against LHPs lately and his pitch recognition/plate discipline is off the charts right now. Such a dramatic increase in plate discipline is usually a good indicator that a big power surge is coming..which could take him from a 18-20 HR guy to a 30 HR guy easily. He improved his OPS over 60 points from last year so far and has been really good in the 2nd half...a .850+ OPS with 25 HRs is what I expect from him next year...and with his vastly improved plate discipline and the willingness to make adjustments this year..I see no reason why it shouldn't happen. He's 24 years old, no reason he can't live up to all the hype he had when drafted.
It looks to me like he has changed his stance significantly since he came off the DL. Seems more closed, and is bending at the waist more vs. standing upright. Don't know if that is the difference or not, just an observation. Unrelated...Mike Barnett canned at the end of the year? I don't know how they can keep him.
No, I agree with you, I just found it funny that you've been saying the same thing as long as this thread's been around.It looks to me like he has changed his stance significantly since he came off the DL. Seems more closed, and is bending at the waist more vs. standing upright. Don't know if that is the difference or not, just an observation. Unrelated...Mike Barnett canned at the end of the year? I don't know how they can keep him.
Yeah, I have been saying progress is being made for a couple years now..and I believe it's true. It has been slow progress, but it's better than the alternative. I don't get to watch all the games....so I wouldn't know if Gordon's stance has changed....tough to tell from the radio. Even before his injury though..his plate discipline has been extremely good for a few months now..that's the best sign. Mike Barnett is gone. I have word from someone with actual inside sources that Barnett knows it and is just finishing out the year. The favorite to replace him is Gary Denbo, most recently the hitting coach with the Blue Jays. He was the hitting coach in the Yankees minor league system when Hillman was managing there and when Hillman was managing the Nippon Ham Fighters in Japan. I'd say there's about an 80% chance or better than Denbo is hired pretty quickly after the season ends and Barnett is let go. I don't think hitting coaches have a ton of impact....but a LOT more hitters got worse under Barnett than got better.....a change is justified.

God we're playing well. Gil with an amazing year after the first month..Greinke's climbing the ranks in the AL....Davies seems to have found something..the offense is coming together well...few young players actually starting to fulfill some potential perhaps, moreso next year hopefully. By god..with a good offseason..we might be able to expect a winning season next year. Maybe........

Yeah, I have been saying progress is being made for a couple years now..and I believe it's true. It has been slow progress, but it's better than the alternative. I don't get to watch all the games....so I wouldn't know if Gordon's stance has changed....tough to tell from the radio. Even before his injury though..his plate discipline has been extremely good for a few months now..that's the best sign. Mike Barnett is gone. I have word from someone with actual inside sources that Barnett knows it and is just finishing out the year. The favorite to replace him is Gary Denbo, most recently the hitting coach with the Blue Jays. He was the hitting coach in the Yankees minor league system when Hillman was managing there and when Hillman was managing the Nippon Ham Fighters in Japan. I'd say there's about an 80% chance or better than Denbo is hired pretty quickly after the season ends and Barnett is let go. I don't think hitting coaches have a ton of impact....but a LOT more hitters got worse under Barnett than got better.....a change is justified.
Mike Barnett has been released...or not offered a contract to return....not exactly sure what his contract situation is/was. Either way, he is out, I THINK it is official...or it will be very soon. Also, look for Billy Butler to be traded this offseason. I'd say there's about an 80% chance of him being moved as the organization has gotten a LOT higher on Ka'aihue this year....
  • 3 weeks later...
Just think, if things had gone slightly different, the Royals could have Evan Longoria and David Price.OUCH.
You could say that about a ton of players. I'm happy with the direction of our organization, we've gotten better three years in a row, our farm system, especially in the low minors, is really becoming quite good........I can live with having Mike Moustakas over David Price. We'll see in ten years which player has the better career.