***///--the Official Kansas City Royals Thread--\\\***

Im not sure how I feel about this trade. For the Royals acquiring Jacobs seems redundant. They already have Shealy, Gload, Butler, and Ka'aihue. Jacobs is probably the best of the bunch at hitting right handed pitching though, but he will also need to be platooned and if hes playing first he'll probably need a defensive sub for him late in games. He has great power but he is overrated due to his poor on base skills.The thing that saves the trade for me is that Leo Nunez just inst very good and has the same service time as Jacobs even though he is younger. The biggest reason for his great ERA this year is that his HR/9 innings was only 0.5 when coming into the season that was at 1.32. His groundball tendencies haven't seemed to change over this period so he will most likely revert back into a pitcher that gives up more than his fair share of homers and his true talent level is probably an average reliever.So I guess from a true talent standpoint Id rather have an average first baseman than a average reliever and at this point the Royals need to be trying to acquire as much talent as possible then from there make trades to actually mold that talent into a good team much like what the Rays have done recently. If I were the Royals I would be looking to flip Jacobs to someone else fairly quickly if the right circumstances come up and I am curious to see what Moore does the rest of the offseason with the DH/1B logjam.
Finally..someone commenting on the trade with some reason. This isn't a great deal for the Royals...but certainly not a bad one. Most of the "experts" commenting on the deal are just falling over themselves bashing the deal on our side....they'd never even heard of Leo Nunez but all of a sudden, he's some young phenom who will be a great setup man and closer for years. Jacobs certainly has flaws, but Nunez simply won't be missed and there's a chance Jacobs can help our offense. His OBP shouldn't be as bad as it was in '08, his BABIP was .260ish, about 30-40 points lower than it has been every other year. I think a .270/.320/.480 line is reasonable to expect from him..and while that's not spectacular for a 1B, it certainly improves our offense a little bit. If he doesn't work out..we have other options..it's not like we're attached to him. If this were our "big move" to help our offense, that would be awful..but this should be a pretty busy offseason for the Royals..they are supposedly a serious suitor for Pat Burrell and maybe even Adam Dunn (though I doubt DM will actually want to bid as high as others for Dunn). Jacobs is just a small piece..a bit of a risk, and we gave up practically nothing for him. Nunez can easily be replaced....Soria is Soria, Ramon Ramirez looks good, Ron Mahay was incredible for most of last year, Robinson Tejeda thrived in the bullpen..Carlos Rosa appears to be a dominant setup man in the making......I think, as you said, that we come away ahead in terms of talent. We need to improve the offense more, obviously....we'll see what happens. No matter what, improving relies mostly on Gordon and Butler and Hochevar and others getting better.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honestly that was one of the best game's I've ever seen. Instant classic. I wasn't even rooting that hard for the Royals. I definitely like them but I also like the A's, mostly because Jon Lester.

They picked up Olivo's option and he didn't void it, kinda surprising to me. I wonder what that means for Buck and/or Tupman/Brayan Pena? Also were mentioned as possible suitors for Willy Taveras from the Rockies. Seems to signal Gathright's end. I know it's early but I like the direction this offseason is taking. Seems to me they are making a push to contend this year, and no longer just stockpiling young talent.

Trading for Tavares would be awful....I'd rather let Mitch Maier start in CF. He was very good defensively and at least has shown a little power in the minors...Tavares sucks. I'd rather just sign a power bat to play LF, deal with Guillen in RF, DDJ in CF, and Maier as the 4th OF....Teahen traded away or Teahen can be a super sub if we can't deal him. He can play 1B, 3B, and all the OF positions (though CF is a stretch...).

• 3 weeks later...
Good luck with Coco, I'm sad to see him go.Scouting report on Ramirez?
Great power changeup. Incredible HR rate from last year that simply can't continue. Shaky control at times...but when he's on....he's really good. Had arm trouble in 2007..but stayed healthy all year last year..so maybe only slight injury risk. I'd say he's an above-average reliever..but not that much so. Kinda hard to judge relievers after one or two good seasons..they can be so fickle.I'd say this trade is a small win for KC b/c while Ramon certainly helps the Boston bullpen a little bit perhaps...Crisp is a big defensive upgrade for us and most likely means the end of Mark Teahen's days in KC. We'll get better defensively at two positions, LF with DDJ going there and in CF...and I'd be willing to bet that Crisp can get on base as a higher rate than Teahen did last year (.318 I believe). Crisp certainly won't be a big upgrade too the offense...but I don't think we lose much there..and DM's ability to find relievers has been great so far...word is prospects Carlos Rosa and Julio Pimentel, both with fastballs in the mid 90s, are going to be showing up early to ST to compete to replace Ramon.
Great power changeup. Incredible HR rate from last year that simply can't continue. Shaky control at times...but when he's on....he's really good. Had arm trouble in 2007..but stayed healthy all year last year..so maybe only slight injury risk. I'd say he's an above-average reliever..but not that much so. Kinda hard to judge relievers after one or two good seasons..they can be so fickle.
It's nice to have our own resident KC scout around here. GL with Coco, you'll at least be seeing plenty of highlight reels.

I really don't like this trade for the Royals. I think they didn't improve their team much if any while at the same time trading away a younger cost controlled player for a player that will probably only be there for a year(unless they pick up his option, but I wouldn't recommend that at this time) and adding over 5 million in payroll. I think they would have been better off saving the money for either more guys in the draft that fall due to money demands or using it to help get a middle infielder.Most fielding metrics seem to show that 2007 was a fluke year for Coco so I think his defense is overrated and I really don't think there is much of a difference between him and DeJesus defensively. And without that big boost in defence and a bounceback year from Teahen I'm not seeing much improvement when you consider that their bullpen is going to suffer. They have at least added depth with Teahen either somewhere else or on the bench though.That said I don't love this from the Red Sox side either. I think Coco was more important to them as a backup for Bay, Ellsbury, Drew and Ortiz than Ramirez is going to be as what looks like the 5th man in their bullpen. But they did shed some payroll and get a good young cost controlled arm that makes Manny Delcarmen and Masterson more expendable in a trade. I would have had them rather get a catcher for Coco, but I think they still came out ahead here.Also for Royal fans are they still considering putting Soria in the rotation? With Ramirez and Nunez gone it seems unlikely but I still think it would be a good move.Edit. Also Ramirez had a pretty good HR rate in Colorado too so there may not be as much regression there as KK thinks.

I really don't like this trade for the Royals. I think they didn't improve their team much if any while at the same time trading away a younger cost controlled player for a player that will probably only be there for a year(unless they pick up his option, but I wouldn't recommend that at this time) and adding over 5 million in payroll. I think they would have been better off saving the money for either more guys in the draft that fall due to money demands or using it to help get a middle infielder.Most fielding metrics seem to show that 2007 was a fluke year for Coco so I think his defense is overrated and I really don't think there is much of a difference between him and DeJesus defensively. And without that big boost in defence and a bounceback year from Teahen I'm not seeing much improvement when you consider that their bullpen is going to suffer. They have at least added depth with Teahen either somewhere else or on the bench though.That said I don't love this from the Red Sox side either. I think Coco was more important to them as a backup for Bay, Ellsbury, Drew and Ortiz than Ramirez is going to be as what looks like the 5th man in their bullpen. But they did shed some payroll and get a good young cost controlled arm that makes Manny Delcarmen and Masterson more expendable in a trade. I would have had them rather get a catcher for Coco, but I think they still came out ahead here.Also for Royal fans are they still considering putting Soria in the rotation? With Ramirez and Nunez gone it seems unlikely but I still think it would be a good move.Edit. Also Ramirez had a pretty good HR rate in Colorado too so there may not be as much regression there as KK thinks.
I don't think Ramirez will give up a lot of HRs or anything...but two all year..when he pitched quite a few innings...that's not repeatable. I think the move makes our defense better. DDJ is a better LF than Teahen was, and Crisp is a better CF than DDJ..even if only a little..(not to mention that DDJ isn't very durable, so a move to a less strenuous position could be an added benefit). On offense...it's debatable. I don't think you can just casually say that Teahen will have a bounceback year..he looked absolutely god-awful most of last season..and his BABIP was .306 last year..so there isn't anything to say that he got unlucky last year like a Nick Swisher. Crisp as an offensive CF is better than Teahen as a RF or LF..and DDJ is pretty respectable for a LF (though certainly lacking in power). I'd say offensively...we don't get better or worse..defensively, we get a little better. Decent trade..not a great one...I wouldn't like it at all if DM hadn't shown the ability to find relievers from nowhere..he already had two replacements ready from the farm system and I'm sure he'll pick up more relievers. With how fickle middle relievers are..I don't think we can say that our bullpen will suffer or get better right now. Also, don't count on Teahen being on the team. A Teahen for Fontenot trade with the Cubs is the next "hot rumor" here in KC...according to sources from both sides. Not sure if it'd be straight up or not..but if it went down, that deal would easily be better than the Jacobs and Crisp trades.Soria is not a candidate for the rotation this upcoming year. 2010 is a possibility if we are out of the race in '09 and we decide to start stretching him out. I think that's a decent possibility.
That said I don't love this from the Red Sox side either. I think Coco was more important to them as a backup for Bay, Ellsbury, Drew and Ortiz than Ramirez is going to be as what looks like the 5th man in their bullpen. But they did shed some payroll and get a good young cost controlled arm that makes Manny Delcarmen and Masterson more expendable in a trade. I would have had them rather get a catcher for Coco, but I think they still came out ahead here.
I like the trade personally. The important thing to remember is that this move can't be viewed in a vacuum. This is the precursor to whatever comes next. We've got 5 million more to play with and another live bullpen arm to cover for say, Masterson's departure whether that's to go to the rotation or be moved for a catcher. Coco was a good 4th outfielder, but I'd prefer a corner/1B type. Our two biggest injury risks are Drew and Lowell. If we get that corner guy, no one has to play out of position. My biggest hope is that they give new Ramirez old Ramirez's number 24. 1 million jerseys will suddenly be saved from obsolescence.

KC rumors are hot right now. Teahen to the Cubs for Sean Marshall or Mike Fontenot. (GET THIS DONE! Either one of them). DeJesus to the Brewers for JJ Hardy (HELL NO! Not straight up anyways...terrible). Hochevar to the Rangers for Taylor Teagarden (KC is dreaming on this one..no chance the Rangers would settle for that....I think). Furcal rumors are still out there...the Indians still may be interested in Teahen to fill their 3B hole (unlikely, I think). DM is said to still be taking calls about Billy Butler..though isn't actively shopping him and it would probably take a big offer to get him...which is unlikely coming off of a down year..though he is just 22 and remains an elite hitting prospect. Lot of buzz right now. We'll see what happens.

Don't be surprised if, within the next few days, Zack Greinke is traded to the Braves for a major package of prospects..including SS Yunel Escobar and potentially three more good prospects. I'd put the chances of this happening before Dec. 1 at 66%.

Forget about what that assclown above me said. Looks like the Braves are close to trading for Javy Vazquez......which would pretty much kill any Greinke to the Braves talk. Looks like the Braves weren't willing to meet DM's asking price on Zack. Don't know the terms of any deal..but I'm glad DM wasn't willing to budge....no need to give Zack away for less than what we should get for him. We still control him for two more full seasons..his value will be just as high come the trading deadline or next offseason if we can't get him signed to an extension.

Bringing back Horacio Ramirez to a cheap, one year deal. Can't hurt.Close to signing Kyle Farnsworth to a two year, 9.25 million dollar deal. Fucking stupid. Way too much money for someone not that good. This one is deserving of all the criticism we usually get for moving one finger...hopefully we can still trade him at the deadline for anything. I'm already looking forward to that.

• 1 month later...
Greinke signs 4-year extensionWOOT!I really didn't think this was going to get done, everything I had heard suggested that Greinke would play out this year and hit the market. He changed agents within the last couple of weeks, so maybe his agent was holding up the process. But, I wherever I heard that he changed agents said that his new agent was Boras, so that doesn't make much sense. Oh well, I'll take it!

...ah..a pleasent turn of events. Seven million fist pumps.Can't wait until the terms of the deal are released. Too bad our cheap ass organization won't lock up any good players. Maybe next year we'll finally not lose 100 games. We suck, the GM and owner sucks and every player sucks.

Too bad our cheap ass organization won't lock up any good players. Maybe next year we'll finally not lose 100 games. We suck, the GM and owner sucks and every player sucks.
That's more like it, now you are a fan!
  • 5 weeks later...
Horacio Ramirez couldn't even make it out of the 1st inning in his first ST appearence. Hopefully that will happen five more times so that he has zero chance of making the rotation.
inexplicably, the former mariners gm actually traded FOR this guy. unreal.