***///--the Official Kansas City Royals Thread--\\\***

You could say that about a ton of players. I'm happy with the direction of our organization, we've gotten better three years in a row, our farm system, especially in the low minors, is really becoming quite good........I can live with having Mike Moustakas over David Price. We'll see in ten years which player has the better career.
What about Longoria versus Hochevar?The Royals never had a shot, based on draft order, at Price. But they passed on Longoria.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honestly that was one of the best game's I've ever seen. Instant classic. I wasn't even rooting that hard for the Royals. I definitely like them but I also like the A's, mostly because Jon Lester.

What about Longoria versus Hochevar?The Royals never had a shot, based on draft order, at Price. But they passed on Longoria.
I think Gordon was drafted the year before, and believed they have everything they need in their 3B.
I think Gordon was drafted the year before, and believed they have everything they need in their 3B.
Baseball drafting doesnt work that way. If you have the top pick, you take the top talent.
Baseball drafting doesnt work that way. If you have the top pick, you take the top talent.
Oh I'm not so sure it explicitly doesn't work that way, the Sox have been need drafting for years. Yeah, I know they've also been drafting pretty low for years but I think it's still the same. If KC thought they liked someone over Longoria after looking at all the situations (which was probably the case) they went elsewhere.
So? Every team passed on Albert Pujols multiple times. Players drafted after other players end up being better in every single draft in the history of MLB. Sure, I wish we had Longoria, but I'm not gonna get worried about every single player we passed up that becomes a good player. Again...our lower minors is becoming very impressive, our MLB team has improved three years in a row and could actually sniff an above .500 year next year...our pitching rotation has some legit talent..including one of the best young arms in the game potentially. I'm not worried about one guy who we could've drafted....and Hochever is gonna be a solid pitcher, his numbers show he was ridiculously unlucky last year....he'll be a pretty good pitcher...his GB rate leads me to believe he can be similar to a Derek Lowe type.
So? Every team passed on Albert Pujols multiple times. Players drafted after other players end up being better in every single draft in the history of MLB. Sure, I wish we had Longoria, but I'm not gonna get worried about every single player we passed up that becomes a good player. Again...our lower minors is becoming very impressive, our MLB team has improved three years in a row and could actually sniff an above .500 year next year...our pitching rotation has some legit talent..including one of the best young arms in the game potentially. I'm not worried about one guy who we could've drafted....and Hochever is gonna be a solid pitcher, his numbers show he was ridiculously unlucky last year....he'll be a pretty good pitcher...his GB rate leads me to believe he can be similar to a Derek Lowe type.
Pujols was an unkown. Was Longoria? I dont know, but I doubt he was, considering he was taken third. Yeah, it happens all the time, but I just wonder what DM would have done in that draft versus AB. Maybe he does the same thing, I dont know.
Pujols was an unkown. Was Longoria? I dont know, but I doubt he was, considering he was taken third. Yeah, it happens all the time, but I just wonder what DM would have done in that draft versus AB. Maybe he does the same thing, I dont know.
Obviously Longoria and Pujols had different circumstances, but he is just one example. You can literally name infinity situations where a player was passed and whatever....just not worth getting worked up about. If we had drafted a guy who couldn't get out of AA ball his entire career instead of Longoria...then I might get mad about it, but I have every reason to believe Hochevar will be a fine starting pitcher for us. We obviously can't make the exact right pick every single time, but we could've done a LOT worse with that pick.DM's drafts have clearly been miles ahead of what Baird ever did. According to baseballamerica.com, we had the 2nd best draft in baseball this year...we spent the most money in our draft this year in baseball.....two first round talents this year with Hosmer and Melville, Moustakas was a great pick last year and had a great first season as a pro....not much to complain about with DM in charge...we're improving from top to bottom...

The example I've heard multiple times is in 2000 when the Royals took Mike Stodolka 4th overall, and the Phillies took Chase Utley with the 15th pick. There are like 3 players taken before Utley that I recognize their names. The baseball draft is such a crapshoot, you just gotta hope the Royals hit more often than they miss, which hasn't happened in a while.Here's their first round pick since they took Damon in 1992 2001 Jonathon Griffin, rhp 9 2000 Michael Stodolka, lhp 4 1999 Kyle Snyder, rhp 7 1999 Mike MacDougal 25 1999 Mike Paradis, rhp 13 1998 Jeff Austin, p 4 1998 Matt Burch, p 30 1997 Dan Reichert, rhp 7 1996 Dermal Brown, of 14 1995 Juan LeBron, of 19 1994 Matt Smith, 1b 16 1993 Jeff Granger, lhp 5 1992 Michael Tucker, ss 10 1992 Jim Pittsley, rhp 17 1992 Sherard Clinkscales, rhp 31 1992 Johnny DamonWho (other than Royals fans) have heard of any of these guys other than Tucker, MacDougal, and maybe Snyder.They definitely have sucked at drafting for a while, but these last 5 years have been much better, at least in the sense that they have reached the majors and have contributed.2008 Eric Hosmer, 1B 3 2007 Michael Moustakas, SS 2 2006 Luke Hochevar, RHP 1 2005 Alex Gordon, 3b 2 2004 Billy Butler, 3b 14 2002 Zack Greinke, rhp If they continue to draft the best player available rather than the best player that fills a need that they can sign, the team is headed in the right direction. Allard Baird being forced to draft college seniors and give them the minimum signing bonus all those years have really taken a toll on the talent. DM I think has the ability to spend the cash for the top tier talent now. If you're still reading wow!Not sure what my point was but I've typed to much to delete it now.

A couple interesting articles regarding Matt Holliday and the possibility of the Royals trading for him.http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...coop/index.htmlThis winter will be Holliday seasonThe Rockies have begun talking to teams about superstar outfielder Matt Holliday and are very likely to trade him this winter after determining they won't be able to sign him to a long-term contract when his current deal expires after next season. Some surprising small-market teams are said to be involved despite the great likelihood that they would have Holliday for only a year.Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd has nothing but kind words for Holliday, and he's said to be willing to give Holliday a five-year deal. But Holliday knows that a year from now he can shoot for the same $200 million, 10-year target that Teixeira's aiming for.O'Dowd has told colleagues that he'd love to keep Holliday but is resigned to being realistic about this. Thus he is said to be determined to find his best deal for the 28-year-old outfielder. While O'Dowd is open to different packages depending on the trading partner, he'd like to acquire a young pitcher who could become a No. 2-type starter as part of the package.

I wouldn't get any hopes up about Holliday...the Rockies would probably want Greinke and two more mid-level (or higher) prospects...at least in the beginning of discussions with all the teams. I can't imagine DM would be willing to meet that price unless it was guaranteed that Holliday would sign an extension here..and given that Holliday is a Boras client..that's about as impossible as it gets. Holliday is 99.9% guaranteed to test the FA market......so I don't think we'll be very active in Holliday trade talks.

I agree, but just being mentioned as a possibility is encouraging.
Yup, our front office has CLEARLY had a lot more to work with in matters such as these. A lot of people don't realize that we were the highest bidders last offseason for Hiroki Kuroda and that we had a huge offer on the table for Torii Hunter....spending way more money in Latin America, aggressive in Japan, adding minor league teams............tough to call Glass a cheap owner right now. Hopefully it stays this way for a while.....

Apparently, we nearly traded for Mike Jacobs last week...but the minor league pitcher we were going to send them had a medical issue. I'll post the link when I can find it...forgot where I saw it. It could just be a rumor. With Kila, Shealy, and Butler all in the 1B/DH discussions....the move would be questionable depending on the pitcher we were giving up. Jacobs has good power, but his OBP sucks.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/baseball/story/741667.htmlThe link to the Jacobs to KC rumored deal that might be dead....or perhaps not if DM will sweeten the pot, which I doubt.Another rumor involves Teahen to the Indians for either Ben Fransisco, Franklin Gutierrez, or 24 year old minor league OF Trevor Crowe. All three would options would be less expensive than Teahen...with Gutierrez having the most upside. I think acquiring Fransisco or Gutierrez would be a good deal...Crowe looks pretty average. The most important aspect is that all three would likely be the opening day CF next year if acquired..meaning DDJ would shift to LF (he is a sub-par defensive CF) and also hinting that Joey Gathright has run out of chances in terms of being a starter. Also important to note that according to Dutton (the reporter for the KC Star who covers the Royals), it is confirmed by sources from both teams that a deal is in the works. Teahen would likely shift back to 3B for Cleveland...they have given up on Andy Marte.http://www.kansascity.com/385/story/859354.html

meh...whateverTeahen seems like a nice guy and all, but I think he probably needs to go to another team at this point. He's just kinda in a rut or something here in KC. I remember last year I think, KC was trying to acquire Gutierrez in a trade, and I've paid more attention to him since then. I'm not that impressed with him, but he's still young and could develop. It does seem like there is potential with him but I'd like Francisco more.You rooting for the Rays Koop? It's frightening to think that a team with $41M payroll is this close to winning it all. If they do, I hope Glass is in a coma or something so he doesnt' think "see, it can be done, CUT PAYROLL!"

meh...whateverTeahen seems like a nice guy and all, but I think he probably needs to go to another team at this point. He's just kinda in a rut or something here in KC. I remember last year I think, KC was trying to acquire Gutierrez in a trade, and I've paid more attention to him since then. I'm not that impressed with him, but he's still young and could develop. It does seem like there is potential with him but I'd like Francisco more.You rooting for the Rays Koop? It's frightening to think that a team with $41M payroll is this close to winning it all. If they do, I hope Glass is in a coma or something so he doesnt' think "see, it can be done, CUT PAYROLL!"
Yeah...Teahen is a great team guy...and though disappointing to us b/c of him being a part of the Beltran trade...it's not like he completely sucks. He'll probably get better once he gets traded and realizes that he needs to start picking it up a bit before he becomes a 4th OF for the rest of his career.Yeah...Gutierrez was mentioned a lot when we were shopping Octavio Dotel at the deadline in 2007. Gutierrez is supposed to have the most upside (by far) of the three possibilities...and his defense is supposedly outstanding. Good raw power...if we were only giving up Teahen, I think he'd be a pretty good guy to take a chance on..worst case would be we end up with another Mark Teahen type player...underachieving, but still servicable. If I had to guess, I'd say it's most likely we do acquire Gutierrez...Yeah, I'm rooting for the Rays. As for Glass.....he won't be cutting out any budget anytime soon....DM pretty much demanded before he took the job that Glass had to give him whatever money he wanted (within reason). If Glass started going back to his cheap ways, DM would probably start looking for another job. From all reports..Glass is extremely happy with everything DM has done and is committed to keeping payroll at a decent level..though it obviously won't be big or anything.
#1 rule of being a hardcore Royals fan. Never listen to Dayton Moore.A deal may or may not happen, but I'd be willing to bet huge money that talks have taken place. I HIGHLY doubt sources from BOTH TEAMS are both making up the same stories, with all the exact same details.
Apparently, we nearly traded for Mike Jacobs last week...but the minor league pitcher we were going to send them had a medical issue. I'll post the link when I can find it...forgot where I saw it. It could just be a rumor. With Kila, Shealy, and Butler all in the 1B/DH discussions....the move would be questionable depending on the pitcher we were giving up. Jacobs has good power, but his OBP sucks.
According to mlbtraderumors.com it was Carlos Rosa, and the Marlins were concerned about his shoulder soreness in August.LINK
According to mlbtraderumors.com it was Carlos Rosa, and the Marlins were concerned about his shoulder soreness in August.LINK
Yup......DM is apparently still pursuing Jacobs. Not sure whether he's trying to ease Florida's concern over Rosa's injury or is shopping other minor league arms....

Mike Jacobs = Kansas City RoyalRoyals trade RP Leo Nunez for 1B/DH Mike Jacobs. I think this is a pretty good deal. Jacobs OBP is a concern, but can't argue with good power while playing in a tough HR park. I like the deal not because Jacobs is a great hitter..he's okay, but I am not a Leo Nunez fan..so I think we got pretty good value on him. He has good stuff, but he's so skinny he will simply never stay healthy..and we have plenty of guys who can step up and be a part of our bullpen..and DM has CLEARLY shown the ability to build a bullpen out of guys nobody has ever heard of. For what we gave up..I think Mike Jacobs is a pretty damn good return. Creates a lot of competition at the 1B/DH spots...look for Billy Butler to be traded for a starting pitcher later in the offseason. It better be a damn good pitcher or prospect..or I don't think I'll like that deal too much..DM seems to massively undervalue Butler.

Not only is he skinny, he had a very taxing motion, and will undoubtedly break down even sooner because of it. I like the trade, but it does seem to cause an even bigger "logjam" at first base and is also another left-handed bat in the lineup. This makes me think the Teahen deal might be closer than we're being led to believe. And/or they will now start shopping Butler/Kaaiahue/Shealy/Gload.Overall, I'm pleased with the trade. God knows we need some power, even still. But, Gordon- Guillen- Jacobs 3-4-5 seems like it could work.

Now trade Butler for a pitcher better than Nunez and DM is really earning that money.
The general consensus is that Butler will be traded for a #3 type starting pitcher....similar to the Delmon Young deal last year. We'll see what happens..a lot depends on whether DM thinks Davies truly found something last year (his last 10+ starts were pretty good) or whether he remains at best a back end of the rotation guy. Greinke and Meche are dependable..Hochevar was extremely unlucky last year and should be fine.....which Kyle Davies shows up next year is a huge question.

Im not sure how I feel about this trade. For the Royals acquiring Jacobs seems redundant. They already have Shealy, Gload, Butler, and Ka'aihue. Jacobs is probably the best of the bunch at hitting right handed pitching though, but he will also need to be platooned and if hes playing first he'll probably need a defensive sub for him late in games. He has great power but he is overrated due to his poor on base skills.The thing that saves the trade for me is that Leo Nunez just inst very good and has the same service time as Jacobs even though he is younger. The biggest reason for his great ERA this year is that his HR/9 innings was only 0.5 when coming into the season that was at 1.32. His groundball tendencies haven't seemed to change over this period so he will most likely revert back into a pitcher that gives up more than his fair share of homers and his true talent level is probably an average reliever.So I guess from a true talent standpoint Id rather have an average first baseman than a average reliever and at this point the Royals need to be trying to acquire as much talent as possible then from there make trades to actually mold that talent into a good team much like what the Rays have done recently. If I were the Royals I would be looking to flip Jacobs to someone else fairly quickly if the right circumstances come up and I am curious to see what Moore does the rest of the offseason with the DH/1B logjam.