Did I Play This Right?

Ok I know its only $3-$6 but I'm just curious if I played this right.I'm at Harrahs in Kansas City playing $3-$6 limit. I am an amatuer and I had just sat down at the table so I had no reads on anybody.I am dealt Q-3 diamonds in middle position. I call and see a flop with 5 players total in the pot, 2 behind me , 2 in front. Flop is Ace, 4, 8, all diamonds. Its checked around to me and I raise $3 figuring I would get a few callers at least. The last few hands everybody was going to the river with garbage. Only 1 caller - small blind. Turn is the 2 of spades. I check since we are up to $6 bets now and I didnt want to scare him away, i was hoping he would raise. He checked. River was a blank. I raised, he called. I won, he mucked. He then started to tell me I had no clue what I was doing...that I should have raised him on the turn. And that I should stick to blackjack. Really who cares....we are talking about a difference of $6. But should I have raised the turn? I didnt want him folding and I had already shown strength by raising the flop. I wanted to let him improve his hand.Any thoughts. Thanks.

Ok I know its only $3-$6 but I'm just curious if I played this right.I'm at Harrahs in Kansas City playing $3-$6 limit. I am an amatuer and I had just sat down at the table so I had no reads on anybody.I am dealt Q-3 diamonds in middle position. I call and see a flop with 5 players total in the pot, 2 behind me , 2 in front. Flop is Ace, 4, 8, all diamonds. Its checked around to me and I raise $3 figuring I would get a few callers at least. The last few hands everybody was going to the river with garbage. Only 1 caller - small blind. Turn is the 2 of spades. I check since we are up to $6 bets now and I didnt want to scare him away, i was hoping he would raise. He checked. River was a blank. I raised, he called. I won, he mucked. He then started to tell me I had no clue what I was doing...that I should have raised him on the turn. And that I should stick to blackjack. Really who cares....we are talking about a difference of $6. But should I have raised the turn? I didnt want him folding and I had already shown strength by raising the flop. I wanted to let him improve his hand.Any thoughts. Thanks.
First off, you bet $3 on the flop, you didn't raise, unless you forgot to include someone's initial bet. By betting the flop, you're reprensenting a pretty strong hand. Either an Ace or the flopped flush. Your smart move there is to wait until the turn to let everyone catch a possible card and check raise them there.You take what you can get in those games. By not betting the turn, you lost a bet that he probably would've called anyway. And to add further insult to injury, if he called the turn, he would've most likely called your river. Take what you can get from the game, and don't call in MP with Q 3 of diamonds...you'll lose a lot more money with that hand than you'll win with it.
Ok I know its only $3-$6 but I'm just curious if I played this right.
Nope, you played it pretty poorly on every street. Unless you had to post to enter the game, there's NO REASON to play Q3 in MP. Missing a bet on the turn is just bad. What if your opponent has the naked A :club: or K :D, you've just let him see a free card to beat you?Do yourself a favor and read "Small Stakes Hold 'Em" by Ed Miller. If you regularly make plays like this, it will improve your game exponentially.
I don't play a lot of limit, but you missed a bet on the turn.And don't play Q-junk in MP, sooted or no.

Id say the rule of thumb should be that the worse player you are after the flop, the tighter you should be before the flopQ3?unless your in an unraised pot in the big blind, small blind, or making a steal from the button or cutoff, dont ever play Q3

Preflop - FOLDFlop - I like to lead, because no one really puts you on the flush.Turn - BET!!!!!River - BET!!!!!You say it's only a $6 difference, but in the long run, that one bet you missed will mean a lot if you are constantly missing it.- Zach

Others have pointed out that you should have bet the turn.The point I want to address is where you say "Really who cares....we are talking about a difference of $6"In Limit this is a massive mistake. A good player is happy to win 1BB/hour playing live, more so at higher levels. So if you were a winning player, you just threw away an hour's work.When you spend time studying limit you will find players enthusiasticly discussing plays that will make as little difference as +/- 10% BB/hand. At 3/6 this is 60 cents and is suprisingly significant.

I'm a little confused as to how OP can check to the small blind. A C/R is not an option, unless the action is screwed up.With one opponent, I usually bet out. It may be obvious, but I'd prefer to charge anyone drawing to a K-flush (or even better, a J-flush), at the risk of folding out a TP+no draw hand. The number of times they fold the turn and you lose out on a river bet is probably almost equal to the number of times they call the turn and fold the river UI (or call/call), so it probably doesn't make much difference. Unless you get outdrawn, of course."probably almost equal" = "I have no idea how often each case happens" = "maybe I should run some numbers instead of just pulling scenarios from 'tween my buttocks"

is going for a c/r that bad on the turn?or was op just going to c/c?I bet it; but just wonderingI've been c/r'ing more
Going for a checkraise in a situation like this is awful The B and M players are typically so passive. The will almost certainly let it check through.I've seen guys flop top set c/c it down.- Zach