I love South Park but I really wish they would get off this current event kick they have been on in the past few seasons. The early episodes are much better because they just dealt with the boys and their lives. I'll take Volcano, Mecha Streisand, and $3.50 (tree fitty) over any of the new stuff. I will admit though that I did love the World of Warcraft episode.
Now here's a good idea: alienate a significant segment of your viewership, to do something that many other shows already specialize in (sw). Once they do this, you can kiss the 18-35 male demographic goodbye. SP is the most successful show in Comedy Central's history because it found a niche that no other show could recreate. The fact of the matter is that nobody treads the PC line better than SP does. Ali G did, but Sacha Baron Cohen's fame limited the shelf-life of the show.Anyways, most shows would have jumped the shark by now, but South Park hasn't, for a reason. If you like South Park, don't hope for this, because the show won't be around much longer.
  • Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now here's a good idea: alienate a significant segment of your viewership, to do something that many other shows already specialize in (sw). Once they do this, you can kiss the 18-35 male demographic goodbye. SP is the most successful show in Comedy Central's history because it found a niche that no other show could recreate. The fact of the matter is that nobody treads the PC line better than SP does. Ali G did, but Sacha Baron Cohen's fame limited the shelf-life of the show.Anyways, most shows would have jumped the shark by now, but South Park hasn't, for a reason. If you like South Park, don't hope for this, because the show won't be around much longer.
Actually they alienated a huge part of their fan base by switching to the current event theme...Trey and Matt are on record saying as much, but they like the fact that they picked up a new audience despite the change in direction of their show.The fact of the matter is that it's getting annoying, and the early episodes are quite frankly better episodes.
Early episodes like Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride? Because that was pretty much exactly the same kind of current eventiness.
I don't remember seeing a big gay boat ride in the news, nor a grade school football team happy to beat the spread

Not all the episodes have a curent kick to them.In paticular the bloody mary and baseball episodes had no "current news topic" approach. It was just two stories that were told because the creators thought they were funny.

I don't remember seeing a big gay boat ride in the news, nor a grade school football team happy to beat the spread
Well, I don't remember seeing the end of all religion on the planet in the news either. But this episode was just as much about religion as that one was about being gay.

Last season's "non-current event" episodes:Mr. Garrison's Fancy New VaginaDie Hippie, DieWingThe Losing EdgeThe Death of Eric CartmanErection DayMarjorineGinger KidsFree WillzyxBloody MaryLast season's "current event" episodes:Best Friends ForeverTwo Days Before the Day After TomorrowFollow That EggTrapped In The Closet

I love South Park but I really wish they would get off this current event kick they have been on in the past few seasons. The early episodes are much better because they just dealt with the boys and their lives. I'll take Volcano, Mecha Streisand, and $3.50 (tree fitty) over any of the new stuff. I will admit though that I did love the World of Warcraft episode.
It would suck if they went back to that. Everyone loved southpark when it first came out because it was so crazy and original with young kids swearing all the time and having frequent fart jokes. That was almost a decade ago, times change and people do change. Do you think South Park could've lasted this long by doing the same thing over and over again for 10 years? As we all grew older and matured, so did the creators of South Park and they realized that the old jokes can work if done right, but they can't depend on old jokes along to keep the show running. They decided to switch gears and focus on more satire and current events. Believe it or not, not all of the material from the 1st few seasons of South Park have vanished. Everyone still swears and the same jew jokes and Kenny being poor jokes are still there, but it goes unnoticed because we are used to it by now. And when we are used to something, it becomes normal and normal is something South Park was not when it first came out. Because if it was normal...South Park probably would've have made it out of the 2nd season alive.The creators of South Park got the basics of marketing down to an artform.
Wow, what a ridiculous episode.
i had no idea what to think for about 2 minutes after, but now i think it might be the best one theyve ever made. this has been an absolutely mind-blowingly good season, definitely their strongest work yet. south park is hotter than scarlett johanson, and definitely gaining on ms. alba. what an amazing show.
i had no idea what to think for about 2 minutes after, but now i think it might be the best one theyve ever made. this has been an absolutely mind-blowingly good season, definitely their strongest work yet. south park is hotter than scarlett johanson, and definitely gaining on ms. alba. what an amazing show.
I could not agree more. I laughed for a full two minutes after the episode. The pure brilliance of switching around the insprirational stories at the end made me just about die laughing
Is there any particular reason that they hate the Red Wings? (I don't watch hockey.)
I suspect because of the Avs/Red Wings rivaly of the past. Not so much anymore but there used to be.

I only saw the 2nd half of the episode, but I got the jist of the storyline. They just can't miss this season. I'm a huge Red Wings fan, and seeing them beating the hell out of those kids was classic. Also, nothing brightens up an episode like kids with cancer. Way to go South Park.

i saw the WOW episode and it was pretty funny so i wanted to watch others.south park is on after lost so for some reason i always forgot to watch so i watched the rerun on thurday. wow-i didn't know to laugh or cry when the kid died. it was pretty messed up

I read somewhere at the end of last season I believe, that they didin't want to do South Park anymore because it was getting hard to find new story ideas. But then CC comes by with a load of cash they can't seem to turn down and said they would just go over the top. If they got cancelled for it so be it.

• 3 months later...

I guess I thought it was funny as hell because my feelings regarding midgets are probably the same as Cartman's.Also when the puzzle turned out to be naggers.... I almost s_hit my pants lol.

I guess I thought it was funny as hell because my feelings regarding midgets are probably the same as Cartman's.Also when the puzzle turned out to be naggers.... I almost s_hit my pants lol.
What do you mean turned out to be? Did you actually think it was what he said?
What do you mean turned out to be? Did you actually think it was what he said?
Oh Yea I thought it was nig all the way, nag caught me off guard thats why I thought it was so funny.