High Stakes Poker

Surprised no one is talking about how bad DN was playing in that last show. Calling big preflop raises with marginal hands. I think he called a huge preflop raise from Barry for like 30k with something like KJ. Then he just check folded...seemed like a pretty tiltly/fishy play to me.Maybe there has been some discussion but I havent seen any yet.In the early shows he had some bad beats but then in the later shows we watch him call off lots of chips with poor hands. Is it just pure tilt?Seems like from his blog a while back he made it sound like he played great the entire time but just got unlucky a lot...so far I agree but he has also played really bad.It's interesting because now he's down 750k and we know he'll make a comeback. I wonder if it will be from good play or donkey style luck? Obviously you need lots of luck either way.

It's hard to get someone's head to the reasoning of certain plays. It seems to me that he is off his A game after taking those bad beats.I just love the show because it has shown me that the pros run into the same problems we do. As much as I hate to see DN down three quarters of a million dollars, I think we can all relate to getting the bad beats and then going a bit on tilt, trying to bad beat the people who did it to you.Just shows even the best pros go off their game at times and again stresses how emotionally disciplined a player needs to be to be a winning player.I've really enjoyed the whole series to this point and will be anticipating the rest of this series.Hellmuth busting was great.Farha's big wins on garbage cards was great (although I wouldn't want to be on the other side of the table from him. He is good post flop and the luck doesn't hurt either).Mimi Tran taking a huge score playing a straight up game was great.Sheiky being ridiculed by all is priceless.I could go on and on.Best poker show as of yet. Hope they do it again.

I think the hand you are talking about was where Barry raised (or re-raised, I'm not sure) and Daniel had QJs. I really believe this wasn't tilting. This is Daniel's style. He LOVES suited connectors. He LOVES to take flops with them. It's not tilt, he is just trying to hit a big flop and bust Barry. In fact, I wouldn't be suprised if he called here with a hand like 75s. He also mentions in one of the off table interviews that Barry almost always bets the flop after raising before the flop. So I think this makes the call even better. If he misses the flop, he just folds. If he hits a big hand, he going to win alot of chips from Barry. I remember Daniel said in the article where he talks about a hand against Annie Duke at Plaza tourney: "If I've got a suited connector, position, and 2-1 pot odds, you can count me in!"I think he would make this call all day every day. It had nothing to do with tilt. He would make it again if he was winning big, or losing big.

If it was 76s or 89s you are better off calling a preflop raise than with a hand like QJ or KJ. The problem with QJ or KJ is that you could hit a flop and be out kicked or have someone with an overpair still. This is pretty basic strategy and it doesnt matter how good you are...calling preflop huge bets here is a losing play. The only reasonable explaination would be that DN had seen the player raise 8 out of 10 hands from that position and wanted to take a stand...but since he folded on the flop I don't think he was going to make a move here...but since it's TV we don't know.The thing is that was only one play...there were lots of others where I thought he played the hands pretty bad. The one where he overbet the pot on the river vs Deeb was pretty bad as was the one where he called Farha down with bottom pair.Overall I love DN and from what I have seen of him on other shows he is an awesome player that plays really well. At the beginning of this series I thought he was playing well but just had some bad luck...it just looks like he's playing sloppy in the last few shows.

I know Daniel's play as well. Even outside the cards he's playing, just look at his body language. He looks more desperate, sad almost. I don't think it's for show.I'm not one to judge anyone's play of that calibar. And even if my perception is skewed to to the truth, I feel this show has really opened my eyes to the mental side of the game. It takes it toll on most all pros.Don't want to take DN than we can see Phil Hellmuth, not that his reactions are out of the norm for him. Or on the flip side take Greenstein's reaction to the Deeb KKs catching. He showed nearly no emotion. Just think it's a lesson for all that the mental side of the game can falter in even the best players.

i forget how much the raise was but when he called it with 68 off suit, spiked the straight on the flop, then got sucked out on the turn was rather disgusting, but like i said when i saw it, serves him right for calling a raise with rags. most of the othe rhands he lost there wasn't a whole lot he could do, i was surprised sammy called so fast with the mini diamond draw when DN flopped the straight again with K9 but what can you do, that's farha's game.