Pretty much, yeah. But I think his death had more to do with his destiny and the vision than the absolute necessity of the situation. Also, are we really sure that he's dead. We only saw him under water. In this show, one never really knows.
they had a Q&A session with him on EW.com talking about his death on the show and his feeling towards it and whether he'd come back for a flashback at some future point, so i'm pretty sure he's dead, but yeah, you never know on this show.
  • Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely ridiculous. We watched them swim DOWN to the facility in one breath. You're gonna tell me they couldnt jump in the water and swim up to the surface when the water came in? And it wasn't exactly a gushing waterfall, it was a porthole. They probably had time to even get into the gear if they wanted to.
QFT ... you beat me to it Yoda.
QFT ... you beat me to it Yoda.
if the pressure inside the entire looking glass is breached, then the water starts coming up through the moon pool, and they can't get out. (i think)

Charlie chose to die so that Claire and the other Losties would get off the island. Desmond rushing to speak to Penny also had something to do with it I'm sure but in the end, the prophecy wouldn't come true unless Charlie died.If Charlie saves himself, then he has to assume that they don't get off the island - so he made the heroic choice.Out of all the season finales that I saw, this was by far the best one

That explanation just does not work. I have no idea if any of that would be true, but physics aside, even if it DOES instantaneously flood the whole thing, we saw how easy it was to swim your way down into the thing. It wasn't 200 feet deep. If the whole thing floods, you simply swim out.It was a dramatic moment and all, I liked him. It just didn't seem necessary to die in that situation.

Charlie chose to die so that Claire and the other Losties would get off the island. Desmond rushing to speak to Penny also had something to do with it I'm sure but in the end, the prophecy wouldn't come true unless Charlie died.If Charlie saves himself, then he has to assume that they don't get off the island - so he made the heroic choice.Out of all the season finales that I saw, this was by far the best one
This explanation I can live with, however if that was their intention they should've made it clear. It did not appear to be a heroic death at the time.
After watching Jack's flashforwards again, I believe now that it was Ben's funeral. He's the only character that really fits here. I'm not sure, however, if Jack's father is really dead. He seemed pretty rattled when the pharmacist at his own hospital said she would call his office about the scrip. I don't really mind that we know they get off the island, I think it will be quite interesting to find out how, and continue to see their individual struggles and such. I don't know why Charlie locked the door. The looking glass facility seemed large enough that they would have had plenty of time to get scuba gear on, so it seems that Charlie chose to die. He seems small enough to be able to fit out of the porthole too, if he really tried. Also, I don't remember exactly, but it doesn't seem that events went down exactly like in Desmond's flashback.
Yeah, Ben makes the most sense to be in the coffin presently but who knows what happens between now and them getting off the island? Also, why would Ben leave the island? Was he forced to? Did the island die?Jeepster, we never actually got to see the Desmond POV flashback. He only described it to Charlie and we saw a bit of how Charlie imagined it would happen. Nothing got spoiled with the flashforward because if Desmond's visions are to have any credibility then Charlie HAS to hit the switch and then drown. Trying to place physical logic to why Charlie closed the door is kind've silly. He could've done it for numerous reasons...for Claire and the vision to come true or hell, how bout outta panic?Now that we know Charlie did as he was supposed to we already know that a helicoptor will come and save them. It doesn't really ruin much...in fact I think it only makes the show more intriguing. It's the journey that's fascinating, not the end point.Interesting how there seems to be a mini Las Vegas invasion happening on Lost. If James Caan shows up I'm gonna freak.It will be interesting to see how true Ben was about Naomi. Will there truly be a great danger everyone needs to overcome? Will the Losties need to band with the Others to fight Naomi's posse? With Locke back how does this change things?Great great season finale...I haven't been this satisfied in a long time. Don't remember who said it above but the last 6 weeks have really kept me watching. I was getting pretty sick of having things drag on without any payoff. There's been a lot of payoff recently and hopefully they'll give a little more early next season while they enivitably add more questions.

What a finale ... man I love this show.Watched most of it a second time and it was very cool in Jack's fast forwards knowing that it was the future instead of the past which is what we all assumed. I wonder how much in the future that was? A couple things he said make it seem like it was a long time ... "Don't hang up on me" ... obviously he's been nagging Kate for quite a while. When setting up the meeting at the airport he says "you know where" ... not the first time they've been there together.Boy is Jack ever in rough shape ... drunk driving all the time, continuosly daze and confused, flying all over the world hoping to crash ... this Island has a huge something or something over these people. (DUH!)At this point I agree that the most likely person in that coffin was Ben .... Jack's trying to go back, Ben's dead etc so he IMMEDIATELY goes to the Bridge to kill himself but phones Kate first? "I just read" ..... gets emotional and hangs up. Why would Kate care? She said as much about going to the funeral. If it is Ben, why was he phoning Kate about it?As well, Locke ALSO told Jack "you're not supposed to do this" along with Ben, so Jack would now be assured that Locke has a real connection to the Island (if Jack truly believes they must go back). Don't forget that Ben and Locke are now enemies ... should be interesting to see how that plays out ... the look on Ben's face was priceless when Lock appeared!Another thing that's nagging at me is the fact that Jack said that he wanted Ben to see them get rescued, know he had failed, then he would kill him. Even if he didn't kill him, why would Ben leave? I guess he could have been forced to leave with them as he was already a prisoner?My assumption is that Locke would never leave (someone asked the question earlier in this thread). In the background after Jack heard from the guy on the phone I saw Locke heading quickly into the bush. Having said that, I also think its a possibility that it's Locke in the coffin ... everyone pissed at him so no one shows up at his funeral. As for Charlie ... he felt he had no choice but to die in order for the vision to come true.Any good show has to have good writers and these guys are very good ... answering a lot while introducing a completely open ended future direction that the show will take AND having us compliment them versus whining about getting questions answered.Tidbits I really liked ....Rousseau's FIRST words to her daughter ... "want to help me tie him up?" LOLRousseau smacks Ben in the head with her elbow to shut him up and Alex looks at her like "Ya Mom, you go girl!"Juliet telling Jack to "not wait up" and "no, are you?" to Sawyer's screwing Jack question.This post is a total ramble and looking back it don't make a whole lota sense but I'm posting it anyway (SORRY ... LOL!). Can't believe we have to wait 10 months to see what happens ... there's so many possibilities as to how this will play out.

high on shock value and I enjoyed the episode, but my main problem with the show is what it's always been. Too many new questions opened up and too few answered. I could see a cool concept for next season being what happened on the island after jack made the call, with all the flash scenes being about the future and jack eventually leading the people who got "off" the island on a mission to get back to it, obv for some unknown reason that we'll know by next season's finale. My initial thoughts also were that Ben was in the coffin cuz he didn't have any family/friends but shows like to throw in twists so it could be someone totally unexpected like Locke.

an opinion from one of the CHUD guys about the Lost vs. Heroes season finales. I find myself agreeing with everything he says.http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=thud&id=10411
nice, I enjoyed that review. I actually watched the Heroes finale without watching any complete episode during the seaon. I was surprised at how little action there was amongst action heroes and figured I must've missed something important that would've made me enjoy it more. Nope, guess not.

That review sucked and I refused to finish reading it. You know why? Who the fuck uses white text with a black background? Is he trying to hypnotize us?

Damn show has me wasting a lot of time reading a bunch of stuff ... www.oceanicflight815.com has a lot of people speculating.Below is a screen shot of the paper .... http://bp0.blogger.com/_RrObyQ3XzcY/RlUe-1...erclipping2.jpg .... theory going around is the guy in the coffin hasn't even been on the show yet. Some have determined that Jack in the future was April 2007 (haven't figured out where they got that yet) leaving over two years between Jack's call to the ship and Jack in the future ... plenty of time to introduce someone as significant as to push Jack to a suicide attempt, if correct.They're saying his name could be Jeremy Bentham who was a real person ... a philosopher who studied something called utilitarianism (which Ben supposedly believes in) and time travel. Also designed some sort of prison that allowed prisoners to be observed without knowing it.This sounds like something the writers would do as Locke, Desmond and Rousseau were all named after real life philosophers.That's it, thought some of you may be interested.

Nice image of the obituary notice - looks like fans have already figured out what it says.

Jeremy Bentham

newspaperclipping2.jpg

I can see the bentham maybe and a J. I think they probably put it there to throw people off, since they have to know lost fans will look at it. the only person who we know that could possibly fit this story is Jacob

edit: threebet maybe spoil out some of your post. Or, most of it actually

By closing the door Charlie also saves the Looking Glass to be flooded and inoperable.
Wouldn't the act of Charlie closing the door let the other parts of the Looking Glass continue to be pressurized? They just couldn't use the radio room. It seems to me like it was a fairly large area.
high on shock value and I enjoyed the episode, but my main problem with the show is what it's always been. Too many new questions opened up and too few answered. I could see a cool concept for next season being what happened on the island after jack made the call, with all the flash scenes being about the future and jack eventually leading the people who got "off" the island on a mission to get back to it, obv for some unknown reason that we'll know by next season's finale. My initial thoughts also were that Ben was in the coffin cuz he didn't have any family/friends but shows like to throw in twists so it could be someone totally unexpected like Locke.
I think that's why I like the show week after week. Sure, it's frustrating not having questions answered and such, but how else do you expect a series to keep having viewer appeal through six seasons?
Damn show has me wasting a lot of time reading a bunch of stuff ... www.oceanicflight815.com has a lot of people speculating.Below is a screen shot of the paper .... http://bp0.blogger.com/_RrObyQ3XzcY/RlUe-1...erclipping2.jpg .... theory going around is the guy in the coffin hasn't even been on the show yet. Some have determined that Jack in the future was April 2007 (haven't figured out where they got that yet) leaving over two years between Jack's call to the ship and Jack in the future ... plenty of time to introduce someone as significant as to push Jack to a suicide attempt, if correct.They're saying his name could be Jeremy Bentham who was a real person ... a philosopher who studied something called utilitarianism (which Ben supposedly believes in) and time travel. Also designed some sort of prison that allowed prisoners to be observed without knowing it.This sounds like something the writers would do as Locke, Desmond and Rousseau were all named after real life philosophers.That's it, thought some of you may be interested.
If you're correct about the new significant character there isn't 2 years (in their time) to introduce it. Each season is approximately a month of their time on the island so logically it would have to be within the next month or 2 since we can somewhat assume that they will get off the island in the next 1/4 year. I wonder if the season changes on this island?
If you're correct about the new significant character there isn't 2 years (in their time) to introduce it. Each season is approximately a month of their time on the island so logically it would have to be within the next month or 2 since we can somewhat assume that they will get off the island in the next 1/4 year. I wonder if the season changes on this island?
Lots of talk about how "time" could be very different on the Island.As for each season being one month of their time ... the writers pretty much left it open to "conduct" the story in any way they want. Flashing forward changes everything, imo. If the Aprill '07 is correct (supposedly seen on one of the screenshots of the paper - not the one I put here) then they have 2 plus years to fill in the next two seasons. Impossible to predict. Who knows how long it will take them to get off the Island? The "rescuers" are probably not rescuers at all, as Ben said. My guess is the rescue comes from Penelope's never-ending fight to get Desmond back, and she only now (Dec'05???) has gotten confirmation he is alive.

I like them looking into the future with Jack. Really sets up a whole new set of questions.I'm really wondering what series of events leads up to them getting off the island. The island itself remains lost (since of course Jack has no idea where it is or how to get back there).

OK first of all, holy fricken crap, what an awesome show. I had ignored it up until a couple weeks ago when I watched a few episodes at my buddy's house of season 3, and I thought wow this is good, so I went out and bought seasons 1 and 2, and watched them in about a week, and now I just caught up with season 3 online. So finally I can open this thread and not be worried about getting spoiled.Now forgive me if this has been answered (I've only read this current page of this thread, I'll go back and look later) but why did Ben shoot Locke when he told him what Jacob said? That doesn't make sense. I think that Jacob is some(one/thing) that Ben captured and is keeping around for some reason. Jacob could be the answer to what the Island is about.. Aliens?? Julietta said something to Sawyer about aliens, and even though it looked like she was being sarcastic to him, maybe she actually wasn't. Also... what could cause Jack to be wanting to go back to the Island, and feeling like he was supposed to still be there. It's aliens, you heard it from me first :)OH! and why do we keep seeing Walt everywhere? I think Walt is an alien.

OK first of all, holy fricken crap, what an awesome show. I had ignored it up until a couple weeks ago when I watched a few episodes at my buddy's house of season 3, and I thought wow this is good, so I went out and bought seasons 1 and 2, and watched them in about a week, and now I just caught up with season 3 online. So finally I can open this thread and not be worried about getting spoiled.Now forgive me if this has been answered (I've only read this current page of this thread, I'll go back and look later) but why did Ben shoot Locke when he told him what Jacob said? That doesn't make sense. I think that Jacob is some(one/thing) that Ben captured and is keeping around for some reason. Jacob could be the answer to what the Island is about.. Aliens?? Julietta said something to Sawyer about aliens, and even though it looked like she was being sarcastic to him, maybe she actually wasn't. Also... what could cause Jack to be wanting to go back to the Island, and feeling like he was supposed to still be there. It's aliens, you heard it from me first :)OH! and why do we keep seeing Walt everywhere? I think Walt is an alien.
If they mention it in the show unless it's the final couple of episodes, I don't think it's it.I think (and I don't think anyone knows for sure) that Ben shot Locke because he could hear Jacob. I think Ben is the only one on the island who can hear him, and if Locke can also hear him, Ben could lose his leadership role on the island if that makes any sense. Very good finale. I thought almost right away that the funeral was for Locke, but I don't think it will be Ben or Locke because that would be too obvious. It's probably a character we haven't met yet like others have said. I was only half paying attention to the episode cause I was playing poker at the same time, but throughout the episode, I was trying to think of when the flashback took place. I didn't think it was before his dad died because he was so made at his dad when he was abusing alcohol. I didn't think it was a flash forward, but at the same time, I couldn't figure out when it would be before the Australia flight. It will be interesting to watch it again knowing it takes place in the future.

This Q may have been posed/answered already but i don't really wanna wade through 30 pages...In the final episodes during one of the flashforwards, The new chief of med in the hospital makes a comment about Jack being drunk, Jack then retorts with something about he not being as drunk as his father, just thought this was wierd as his father is dead....also Jack has grey stubble on the island, yet in the flashforward he has a full black beard. make up team aren't doin there job. :club: