annoying misuse of poker terms

not poker related but I hate double posters
EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME EAT ME IcePS- You blow
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These people say that they have a "set". I'm not going to be the one to tell them what a real "set" is. I just let them keep being stupid.Also, when someone says they had an OESD or a Flush Draw, when in actuality, they had NOTHING on the flop, but became Open ended, or hit a 4th suit, and lost on the river, I guess hoping to catch runner runner. They always seem to say "I HAD to stay". That's pretty common in low limit.

I hate when people say they:"hit their set" when there's a pair on the board and they have 3 of a kindWhat else?
I have to ask: What is the difference between trips and a set? I'm guessing it had to do with how many of the 3 cards are in your hand, but I'm clueless other than that.
I have to ask: What is the difference between trips and a set? I'm guessing it had to do with how many of the 3 cards are in your hand, but I'm clueless other than that.
trips is when you have AK and the board is AA2.a set is when you have AA and the boad is AK2.aseem

thanks aseem, thats the only thing I could think about. I but I'd still say I flopped a set what I have A K...and AA2 comes on the flop. I guess I'll just sound like an idiot around people that really know what their talking about. And with the all in thing I don't do that anymore...a year ago when I started playing this game I thought I was a badass and would do that stuff...but I learned that you can get more action then you're looking for.ICEMAN...dude u know I was just kidding right...can't you see I doubled posted that post right after you.

Hey dEv, the picture of your avatar is they guy who Norman Chad had the "stylish" two finger check. i thought that was one of the dumbest things Norman Chad had said while covering the WSOP 2004. I mean, wasn't there anything in the world more useful to say than commenting on how he checks? BTW, is that guy any good?

Hey dEv, the picture of your avatar is they guy who Norman Chad had the "stylish" two finger check. i thought that was one of the dumbest things Norman Chad had said while covering the WSOP 2004. I mean, wasn't there anything in the world more useful to say than commenting on how he checks? BTW, is that guy any good?
HAHAHAH thats so true too. what i really really hate is when i say "i check" and the other guy says "i'll raise you 80". no you wont you censored censored, you'll BET 80, and i swear to god i'm gonna RAISE you 45 million because you are too much of a moron to know the difference between betting and raising. oh and then another guy, he calls my big blind from the small, and i say check. and then he says, "check." WHAT? you have NO RIGHT to check on the small blind. no right!!!

lmao yes it is... me and my friends just thought that was hilarious. I can pull off a pretty good impression of him and I'll pull it out when trying to get a laugh @ my home game.As far as what kinda player he is...thats the only time I've ever seen him on that particular telecast. And my name googles up more then him... college baseball related... nothing on my poker career yet.His name is mentioned on this site http://www.bhare.org/2002YearEndLetter.html. I wonder if he's the same guy. He looks like he could be a doctor I guess.

I have the ultimate one.When someone bets, and the dumba$$ says they "reraise"....and I'm like, you are an idiot. It's a raise, not a RE-raise. It's a re-raise when someone raises, not when someone bets. I'm sure you all know this, whoever is reading this reply.

Just to jump in on this discussion randomly, didn't Chad also call that check "sophisticated" at some point in the telecast? Maybe I'm remembering stuff that didn't happen, but for awhile I enjoyed saying out loud "Sophisticated two finger check" as I clicked Check while playing online.

I don't remember if he said sophisticated...but I'm pretty sure he said distinctive. Either way it was funny...and it's cool that my inside joke with my friends can spill over onto this forum.

also theres the annoying stuff where you bet and then theyre like "i call...................and i raise 2 bucks". i know that its not even legal; its string-betting, but in the games that we play we let it slide as long as the intonation of the word "call" is ascending - that is to say he is not done with his action. but the thing is, people should just say "i see that.......and i raise 2 bucks", that way it eliminates all potential ambiguity.

also theres the annoying stuff where you bet and then theyre like "i call...................and i raise 2 bucks". i know that its not even legal; its string-betting, but in the games that we play we let it slide as long as the intonation of the word "call" is ascending - that is to say he is not done with his action. but the thing is, people should just say "i see that.......and i raise 2 bucks", that way it eliminates all potential ambiguity.
wow i just finished an almost 10 hr stint over at PM to read that last post and my brain just blew upIra

While it's not always misuse of poker lingo... any time someone quotes "Tilt" at a table.. I want to grab any blunt metal object in the room and bash their skull in. Beyond that, most of the mistakes that irk me the wrong way have already been noted. - Sets v Trips- Reraise when you mean Raise- People trying to raise less than the BB in live games (Although I feed off their stupidity)- People trying to raise the size of 1BB on top of a 3x BB bet- Saying "pot committed" without any notion of what that phrase actually means- "I have a read on you, I fold" Oh yea, you have a read? What cards was I holding? "I don't know, but I know I was beat" If he truly had a good read on me and saw that I was holding TPTK with a flush draw hitting the board, he could have come over the top forcing me to rethink his hand and possibly put him on the flush. Now THAT would be a read.I can't get too mad at my fishies though. They bring too much joy to my life.

I guess my biggest complaint has nothing to do with poker at all...Its the misuse of the words then & thanThen is TIME comparative... I did this and THEN I did thatThan is item comparitive... This is bigger THAN that.Thumper

I hate people who want to feel superior to other players for knowing the difference between a raise and a re-raise or a set and trips. I know the difference, I didnt at a point when I began, and Im sure you didnt either. Everyone learns if they play enough.What bothers me is when I see shitty announcers on poker tv shows. Im not referring to norman chad or any of the regulars on the WPT or WSOP, Im referring to an idiot I saw on the Poker Superstars Invitational which aired on NBC before the superbowl.He sees chan or someone pick up KJo UTG and fold, and says "Pretty tight play from chan".NO, YOU MORON, hes under the gun with horrible position and doesnt know if hes going to have to play for a raise or what have you. I would like a screener for all poker announcers, or at least a training class before they start announcing it to inform them of concepts like position which they should know.The later it is, the looser you can get, yo mamma taught me that.

"i called him all in" or "are you calling me all in?" (what they should say is "i put him all in" or "are you putting me all in?")... I see it mostly with new players... they'll have like 12 dollars left and ill just raise them 12 more dollars and they'll say something like "hmm... you calling me all in?" and i almost want to hit them

I hate when people say they:"hit their set" when there's a pair on the board and they have 3 of a kind"are re-raising" when they are the first to raise after a betWhat else?
i love how someone has commented that this is an indicator of experience. it is, but not in the way you think. people who get annoyed about this supposed 'incorrect' usage are the inexperienced ones. In the 70s 'trips' and 'set' were used interchangeably. they had no connotation as to whether the three of a kind was made using two whole cards or one. In fact, when the term 'set' came into use, stud and draw were the most popular games, not holdem, so the idea of 'hole cards' was almost irrelevant. Read supersystem and tell me doyle isnt using these terms interchangeably. It is only the new, internet generation that has somehow given these terms specific meanings, and set about chastising anyone who uses them 'improperly'.

in reference to whoever said they hate it when people quote "Tilt" at the table...I've been waiting since that show started, for someone to say to me: "Did you even look at your cards?" so I can hit them back with the Matador's classic line: "No...I saw your face when you looked at yours." What a hilarious line.I kinda hate it when people clearly don't understand betting. For example, someone not in the blind tries to check, or the big blind says "call" when everyone else has only called him. I realize that most of the lingo comes with experience, but if you don't even understand betting and how check/call/raise/reraise works, what the hell are you doing at the table? Sorry if that's kinda picky.

...but if you don't even understand betting and how check/call/raise/reraise works, what the hell are you doing at the table?
maybe they are there for *gasp* entertainment? OR maybe they are doing it on purpose so high and mighty poker pros like you and me wont give them credit for a hand no matter what. I do this all the time at clubs im not a regular at. if its 5-10, ill always bet 10 on the flop and 5 on the turn, and act very confused when they pull my extra chips back/tell me i need more. "whats the most i can bet? can i reraise now?"

wow...that was a pretty funny response.I don't berate players at the table for these things. I think it's in better taste to vent about it on a message board with other decent (NOT PRO) poker players. At the table, I'm actually very patient and try to help these people understand the basics of the game so the game is quicker and smoother. If you need to trick other players into thinking your inexperienced to beat them, more power to you, and good luck.

I hate this one:"I flopped the stone cold nuts." Or "I flopped the mortal nuts."The mortal nuts are unbeatable, no matter what comes off. The nuts is the best hand at the time.I'm anal, I know.Ice
Back to the misuse of poker terms again.Its Immortal nuts not mortal nuts. Mortal implies it can be beaten.

Four words: Well, I'm pot committed.Not really misuse, just a misconception IMO. The money in the pot is no longer your money, its the money you can win. I know that sometimes, like if your the low stack and committed half your chips to the hand you may as well push all in in the proper situation. But to me, people who refuse to get off a hand just because they put in a few bucks ticks me off.Hate to hear those four words almost as much as: What the hell.Always get outdrawn when someone says that to me in a live game. :wall:

I really don't know why, but I hate it when people use the phase "cold call" incorrect. The actual definition is "when a player who has no money other than the ante invested in the pot calls a raise and a re-raise." ex. The button cold called their raises. -correctex. I bet from the cutoff, the button reraised and the small blind cold called. -incorrect

wow...that was a pretty funny response.I don't berate players at the table for these things. I think it's in better taste to vent about it on a message board with other decent (NOT PRO) poker players. At the table, I'm actually very patient and try to help these people understand the basics of the game so the game is quicker and smoother. If you need to trick other players into thinking your inexperienced to beat them, more power to you, and good luck.
lol dont take it so personally. the poker pro comment was a tongue in cheek remark aimed at the whole thread in general. who cares if people misuse terms? is it not ironic that one of the terms the OP claimed was being misused (see set/trips post) was in fact being misunderstood by the OP himself? And i hate to break it to you, but the game of poker is built on deceit and trickery. The whole goal is to convince players you have nothing when you have the nuts, and you have the nuts when you have nothing. If you showed them your cards and then bet you wouldnt win much money. Table image can be manipulated. The pros do it all the time. Ask Danny about his 'party days' back in toronto. he would act like a moron preflop raising anything and everything. Soon people would have him pegged as a wild gambler and wouldnt put him on a strong hand no matter what. of course, they didnt realize that he was making sound decisions post flop and would kill the games regularily because of it.