Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Man, you're really that guy huh?

What guy? The one who dares to to point out the hypocrisy of a while guy getting beat unconscious by a mob of African Americans being ignored by the news media when, if reversed, there would be a shit storm a la Ferguson?

If there is ever going to be racial equality in this country (there never will be total racial equality of course) then the condemning of has crimes have to go both ways.

Obviously what the kids did was wrong, white or black or black or white. But I'm interested if you're arguing that the media coverage would not be different if it was a group of white teenagers kicking a random black person. And if you are I'm interested I'm wh you think that.

Do people care about Thursday football if their team isn't playing?

I don't

I will usually turn it on for a bit and see if it catches my attention. It rarely does though. It's odd because I can watch any game on Sunday but the Monday and Thursday games have to be really good to keep my attention.

Frau, do you have Verizon FIOS available? We do and I've been think of changing. They have fiber optic so the internet lag during peak times (theoretically) don't exist. Also way cheaper overall than TW. At least until they get you hooked and jack up the prices in a year.

Here's the thing. I really don't give a single shit about the media, any media. Not msnbc, not Fox, not CNN. They are all pretty awful. It's all just sensationalism for ratings, pandering to viewers. On this topic, liberals are bleeding hearts and the right are pandering to the racist crowd. I like Bill Maher's comment that "Not all republicans are racists, but all racists are republican."

Not every beat down makes the news, regardless of the races of the beaters and beatees. Is the chance of a black kid getting beat down by 5 white guys more likely to make the news? Absolutely. But there is a reason for that. History. There is a precedent, hundreds of years where groups of whites would lynch, castrate, mutilate blacks merely for the color of their skin and to fear monger. That stuff has gone on as recent as my and tilty's lifetime. It's from a seriously ingrained place of hate. When it happens the other way around, it's usually something more of just group mentality. I'd venture a guess that it's less planned out. Where as the KKK and groups of that ilk target blacks.

It shouldn't happen at all and all participants deserve serious jail time. The media is a business and is gonna cover what gets eyeballs, so I don't care about them. But tilty's equating it to Ferguson is off base. That was a police officer, a person in a position of power and paid to protect the citizens, shooting a person that didn't have a gun. Those are the facts. That is ALL that is KNOWN, besides the combatants race. Everything else is speculation and heresay. No facts, contrary to all of the bullshit twitter reporters.

Anyone that denies that rampant racism exists is just lying to themselves.

I am currently reading the book that Strat stole for me, The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander. It's so eye opening and crazy. Between that book and that The Case for Reparations article, it's mind boggling. What whites have done to hold blacks down in this country is insane. They were held down and persecuted for 300+ years and some expect all of it to be even after 40+ years. That's ridiculous. I challenge anyone to read even half of that book or that article and not even feel a little bad for the black struggle. But maybe I'm more open to hearing it. Suited, you listen to Bomani the same as me and seem to disagree with him whereas McGee, myself, JJJ and all the rest appreciate his pov. So, yeah, who knows? I don't know why people think the way they do and see what others don't.

It's An interesting topic, to me. I may have rambled or meandered a bit. Typed on an IPad.

• Like 2

Here's the thing. I really don't give a single shit about the media, any media. Not msnbc, not Fox, not CNN. They are all pretty awful. It's all just sensationalism for ratings, pandering to viewers. On this topic, liberals are bleeding hearts and the right are pandering to the racist crowd. I like Bill Maher's comment that "Not all republicans are racists, but all racists are republican."

Not every beat down makes the news, regardless of the races of the beaters and beatees. Is the chance of a black kid getting beat down by 5 white guys more likely to make the news? Absolutely. But there is a reason for that. History. There is a precedent, hundreds of years where groups of whites would lynch, castrate, mutilate blacks merely for the color of their skin and to fear monger. That stuff has gone on as recent as my and tilty's lifetime. It's from a seriously ingrained place of hate. When it happens the other way around, it's usually something more of just group mentality. I'd venture a guess that it's less planned out. Where as the KKK and groups of that ilk target blacks.

It shouldn't happen at all and all participants deserve serious jail time. The media is a business and is gonna cover what gets eyeballs, so I don't care about them. But tilty's equating it to Ferguson is off base. That was a police officer, a person in a position of power and paid to protect the citizens, shooting a person that didn't have a gun. Those are the facts. That is ALL that is KNOWN, besides the combatants race. Everything else is speculation and heresay. No facts, contrary to all of the bullshit twitter reporters.

Anyone that denies that rampant racism exists is just lying to themselves.

I am currently reading the book that Strat stole for me, The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander. It's so eye opening and crazy. Between that book and that The Case for Reparations article, it's mind boggling. What whites have done to hold blacks down in this country is insane. They were held down and persecuted for 300+ years and some expect all of it to be even after 40+ years. That's ridiculous. I challenge anyone to read even half of that book or that article and not even feel a little bad for the black struggle. But maybe I'm more open to hearing it. Suited, you listen to Bomani the same as me and seem to disagree with him whereas McGee, myself, JJJ and all the rest appreciate his pov. So, yeah, who knows? I don't know why people think the way they do and see what others don't.

It's An interesting topic, to me. I may have rambled or meandered a bit. Typed on an IPad.

i agree with almost all of that and none of it makes my original comment worthy of labeling me a racist. the way black people have been treated in the past is horrific and terrible and there is no excuse. but what i saw on that video is horrific and terrible and there is no excuse. none of those kids were slaves, neither were their parents or grandparents or great grandparents. i understand jim crow and institutional racism, but at some point, personal responsibility has to take charge. race relations are obviously very complicated, but I'm frankly annoyed that i can be called a racist for criticizing that behavior and the fact that the media won't cover it because of some kind of residual white guilt.

• Like 1

The most "wow" thing I read so far was southern white legislators passing vagrancy laws, where at the beginning of every year, people had to show written proof of having a job, and if they couldn't, it was an automatic conviction. You were put in labor prisons, where you were then auctioned off to the highest bidders looking for cheap labor. Unfortunately for those people, predominately blacks, as you'd imagine, was at least slave owners had a vested interest in keeping slaves healthy. These people didnt and the mortality rates were through the roof.

All in the name of keeping blacks down and keeping slavery, kind of legal. This happened in the 20th century. Just tons of things like that. So crazy to read what US Senators were saying, writing and proposing on the senate floor.

But see, now you're playing the victim. Nobody said those kids weren't animals and don't deserve serious jail time.

And who is a descendent of slaves is immaterial. Read what I wrote above, read a hundred other examples from the 60's 70's and 80's. You can't just use the "that was in the past, get over it" mentality. Things in the past affect the present. You can't run a marathon and give someone a 15 mile head start and wonder why you're losing the race and say "that head start was in the past, get over it. Catch up." That's short sighted and totally unfair.

Qualified blacks weren't hired because whites were doing the hiring. The game was and is rigged. Not always and I'm not using absolutes, but it most definitely is. I'm not sure where the disconnect is. You can't just go with the boot straps defense. It's bs

Of course there are outliers. I'm waiting for someone to drop Obama and Ben Carson on me.

Edit: they don't cover because it doesn't get viewers, not out of white guilt. Put on Fox News, I'm sure they covered it. Besides, there are tons of news outlets. You found it.

• Like 1

I'm also not excusing the bad behavior of someone because they are black. If you act like an ahole, it's because you're an ahole. Color is immaterial. I'm also agreeing that there is some cultural disconnect with blacks, priorities and such, but that falls along income lines rather than color lines, at least part of it.

I'm just pointing out that, in general, America is rigged. As is the world. The darker your skin, the more fcked you start off. It can definitely be overcome. But it ain't a cakewalk

I'm now going to bed

I appreciate the civil conversation and discourse.

And for the record, my initial comment in reaction to your comment was from a place of seeing all of the right wingnuts that ALWAYS play the "hey look, a white guy killed by a black guy and no media outrage" links and then read the story and it is apples and oranges. You're better than that. At least I hope so